IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Really...
You honestly don't see it?

Really?

Plenty of examples out there, probably working right next to you.

Kids drinking in High School are just as likely to be developmentally challenged. It has been proven that it affects the human body with orders of magnitude more damage than pot both in young kids and long term... yet you are unaware.

Oh... sorry Mike, Bullshit.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New You misunderstand me.
I would never suggest that alcohol isn't dangerous. Liver damage, hypertension, obesity, clinical depression, increased likelihood of death due to accidents, etc. are obviously all related to alcohol use. But I haven't seen any studies anywhere that demonstrate lowered IQ scores correlated with alcohol use.

And your claim that "It has been proven that it affects the human body with orders of magnitude more damage than pot both in young kids and long term..." is without basis anywhere. The plain fact of the matter is that there were not a lot of studies concerning the long term effects of marijuana use among young people because of marijuana's legal status. That's changed now, of course. Further the studies that are coming out now (that I've linked in various threads) show brain changes even with light use - even once. As far as I know, there are no studies showing brain changes from light use of alcohol. The fact is when it comes to pot use - especially among adolescents who are the most likely group to initiate pot use, we don't know. But the studies that have come out should give everyone pause. Unless of course, you don't think we're dumb enough already and we can handle a 7 or 8 point drop in IQ's by the age of 38.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt May 21, 2014, 08:57:19 AM EDT
New actually, I accepted that a long time ago
A drop of 10 IQ points puts me at 131. Didn't bother me.
New Oh...
How many Alcohol poisoning deaths? How many Marijuana poisonings deaths?

Functional Drunks vs Functional Potheads? There are other indicators.

The evidence is there among the already collected data. You just have interpret it with a view different from what has been done... due to the legal status.

Assumptions made multiple decades ago... need to be removed and re-investigated on both Alcohol and Marijuana. I'm betting that much of the already taken data and test and studies will have far different impacts if taken under new light. Light that couldn't be applied before on either.

In any case, the evidence is there... they never tested for IQ drop on Alcohol, because it was legal. They tested for IQ drop on Pot because it *WAS* illegal as a way to propagandize the charge with the "War on Drugs" and lump it in with things like Crack, Meth and Heroin which have exceptionally obvious detriments on th effect on the mind, body and people around the addicts. they just *had* to have ammo.

Why not with Alcohol? Because *BIG MONEY* rides on it. They are already fighting off the bad stuff from "academia"... they don't want anymore... so they more than likely paid for the heat to go towards another "evil" and take the pressure off Alcohol.

Yeah, I'm ranting now... thanks for lighting that fire this morning.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New hey, he may have a real point
Cannabis encourages neuroplasticity. It really does allow people to grow new brain cells. This allows them to learn more. In the FUTURE.

BUT:

Brain cell growth actually causes memory loss (recent news articles, but my google-fu is failing. Must be all the alcohol I am consuming since I face a piss test at any given moment and don't touch that which will have me thrown in jail.) Supposedly that's why people can't remember much before age 3.

So some memory loss would be associated with a drop in IQ. If you don't keep learning new stuff (and let's face it, most people stagnate), it would be an overall loss.

And it doesn't matter on the alcohol VS pot from a health issue, he accepts and doesn't care. So from my perspective, in dealing with him, it become the societal horror impact of cannabis jail time vs the general societal downside he sees. Which in turn leads me to this:

http://news.yahoo.co...as-150807587.html

So Mike, is this the world you want to live in?
New Dunno...
http://www.psycholog...rink-more-alcohol

It is important to note that both income and education, as well as childhood social class and parents' education, are controlled in multiple regression analyses of these data from the US and the UK. It means that it is not because more intelligent people occupy higher-paying, more important jobs that require them to socialize and drink with their business associates that they drink more alcohol. It appears to be their intelligence itself, rather than correlates of intelligence, that inclines them to drink more.

Indicators of alcohol consumption in the Add Health data include the frequency of binge drinking (drinking five or more units of alcohol in one sitting) and the frequency of getting drunk. That such behavior is detrimental to health and has few, if any, positive consequences, is irrelevant for the Hypothesis. It does not predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to engage in healthy and beneficial behavior. Instead, it predicts that more intelligent individuals are more likely to engage in evolutionarily novel behavior. Since the consumption of modern alcoholic beverages - including binge drinking and getting drunk - is evolutionarily novel, the Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to engage in it, and the empirical data from the UK and the US confirm it.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
     hey mm, you lose again - (crazy) - (18)
         The Washington Times - great source. - (mmoffitt) - (16)
             Much the same... - (folkert) - (15)
                 I'm unaware of alcohol causing lowered IQ's. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                     Really... - (folkert) - (5)
                         You misunderstand me. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                             actually, I accepted that a long time ago - (crazy)
                             Oh... - (folkert) - (2)
                                 hey, he may have a real point - (crazy)
                                 Dunno... - (Another Scott)
                     absolutely, causes dementia eventually -NT - (boxley)
                     ..Had a half-brother. Once.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                         What secret? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                             I guess IQ is subjective, then. - (folkert)
                             no I didn't - (crazy) - (2)
                                 I think our definitions align. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     then please - (crazy)
                             dementia doesn't indicate a drop in iq? -NT - (boxley)
         is the quote a lie? - (crazy)

This is your brain on bad interior design. Any questions?
224 ms