IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Felix on Geithner's book - He's an unreliable narrator.
https://medium.com/@...lmon/fc88741a0025

(Re. his March 2004 speech at the NY Fed)

None of this sounds like a warning — and indeed, Geithner’s main cautionary message seemed to be directed not so much at the bankers as at their regulators, including at the NY Fed. Between the beginning of his speech and the end, moreover, Geithner said a lot of things which, let’s say, don’t really withstand the test of time. He said that there were four big “changes in the nature of financial intermediation” which had “played a role in improving the overall resilience and performance of the U.S. financial system”; he was effectively saying “you’ve done these four things, which is great, can we have more like this please”. What were those four things?

The first: “Innovation in financial technology continues to expand the opportunities for financial institutions to separate and distribute, and to manage and hedge, different types of risk.” Or, to put it another way, “yay derivatives! Please use lots more derivatives!”

[...]

There are two big worrying things here. The first is that Geithner didn’t see the crisis coming at all, and indeed was something of a cheerleader for all of the dangerous activities that the banks were getting up to. The second, which is just as bad, is that with hindsight, Geithner sees this speech as being prescient and heroic — that it’s something to be proud of, rather than sheepishly ashamed of.

As I read the rest of Geithner’s book, then, I’m basically forced to treat the author as an unreliable narrator. Geithner might seem to be straight-up and guileless, but his report of this speech shows that he can remember things — even things which are easily found on the internet — in an extremely self-serving manner. Maybe that’s only to be expected, from a political memoir. But it’s disappointing, all the same.

Unsurprising, but it's good to see that someone has done the work to prove it.

I hope, but do not expect, that Geithner gets a lot of push-back on his book tour.

[edit:] via DeLong's blog.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who notes that Felix left Reuters last month.)
Expand Edited by Another Scott May 18, 2014, 10:28:24 AM EDT
New Was on Charlie Rose recently
I tried to watch..
Gave up after some minutes.. looked back in.. nope, couldn't get grey cells to agree that he was worth the time.
Impression, then: oily, (and as above) selective 'memory' [or edited?] on the few points I had noted some time ago.
Wish I knew if BHO is a push-over for slick presentations (or likes? the pat simplicities served-up in time-compressed TED talks?)

I'm still not Over his hiring of the very folk who Caused the losses of $Bs to millions--as 'experts'--not just because, but combined with the absence of any Jail-time
for the provable-criminals: perception is all. Has BHO No Idea how these jarring juxtapositions Are seen by lots of simply-normal people?

(IIRC Geithner was Chair? of the board which found no merit to (woman whose small regulatory bailiwick was questioning derivatives.. just prior to the implosion. Effectively he/they stripped her of any influence subsequent to that 'hearing'.) Never heard back if she ever received a single AttaGirl from any of these suited bloviators.

Even capitalist Rose tried to pry, oh so tactfully, into various related phenomena and allegations. G. punted, not so much tactfully as.. oily-ly. My gut says, Fuck Geithner.
He may be the embodiment of the 'Slick Willy' slogan the Repos invented re Clinton. He craves kudos for 'saving the $$ system' (while demanding that we forget that he extracted NO interest/penalties of the miserable-failure debtors he spilled $B all over.

I doubt that BHO will ever own-up to his naive-appointments, even if they're caught-in-bed with lepers, next.
Do hope that he somehow crams the braver-Action skipped over the 7 years, into his Last one.
New I think that was Summers not Geithner re B. Born.
http://www.businessi...y-summers-2009-10

Summers has the reputation for being a brilliant economist, but he seems to worry much more about political appearances and retaining influence rather than giving his best economics advice. It's toxic in times of trouble.

Geithner probably wasn't a bad pick for Treasury. He had the background to know what the big banks needed after they blew up the world economy. On the job training for someone who didn't have that background would have been dangerous. But he needed a strong counterweight - the US economy needed (and needs) much more than a strong banking system.

Yeah, Obama's macroeconomic sense isn't his strong point. He should not have "pivoted toward deficit reduction" and the line in his speech about "... families are tightening their belt so government must too..." was all wrong economically, but maybe he had to do it due to the politics of the day. It's extremely unfortunate.

At least Geithner is getting some pushback!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks, my bad / wrong sometimes-perp.
So then .... [nice sleuthing; I should have recalled Her name--I do good on Odd-names, like Iosip Vissarionovich Djugashvili--even if that's a transliteration. Brooksley!?--must be losing-it.]

Why hasn't Brooksley gotten a Citizen's Medal of-whatever, for her prescience-- her also tenacity in the face of a united-front of utterly-asleep senior-Suits?
(And where are a few videos of one, another of the formerly-befuddled: Apologizing??)

It's not too late! Crowd-funding? ... ... Anyone? ... at all??
Yeah.. I know. As civilizations unravel, Thanks! becomes rarer (especially amongst the formerly-Certain Powerful-types.)
New Speaking of Summers playing politician rather than economist...
http://www.creditslips.org/creditslips/2014/06/summers-and-cramdown.html

Larry Summers has a very interesting book review of Atif Mian and Amir Sufi's book House of Debt in the Financial Times. What's particularly interesting about the book review is not so much what Summers has to say about Mian and Sufi, as his attempt to rewrite history. Summers is trying to cast himself as having been on the right (but losing) side of the cramdown debate. His prooftext is a February 2008 op-ed he wrote in the Financial Times in his role as a private citizen.

The FT op-ed was, admittedly, supportive of cramdown. But that's not the whole story. If anything, the FT op-ed was the outlier, because whatever Larry Summers was writing in the FT, it wasn't what he was doing in DC once he was in the Obama Administration.

Let's make no bones about it. Larry Summers was not a proponent of cramdown. At best, he was not an active opponent, but cramdown was not something Summers pushed for. Maybe we can say that "Larry Summers was for cramdown before he was against it."

[...]

(via Atrios - "The Worst Person In The World - Larry Summers")

Cheers,
Scott.
New Never mind 'feet of clay', clearly some sort of Ego-extractor needs development
--before anyone is given more power than a delivery-truck driver.
Glib... it's Everywhere.. from BHO's flowing pastoral rhetoric [then diametrically-opposite staffing/yielding to any Corp anywhere]
down to my local Comcast: attempting to con me out of an agreement (inscribed, even on one of their bills!) an ongoing matter I'll doubtless have to take to a Suit. And will.

(I think DRL.. nail/on-head/hit in one post wherein he dubbed Muricans as narcissists--pretty astute deduction from a self-admitted 'social-incompetent.) It does seem that we no longer have to delve as far-down, in the bios of the usual or unusual suspects--to find world-class duplicity.
This may be an expectable consequence if: in fact, the dis-USA's litany of problems are a function of also-increasing big-C Corruption,
a personality trait always difficult to sample with any precision. I guess its sorta comforting, just to confirm the workings of another process? For a few minutes anyway.

Surely there are -isms less-corrupt than our patch-quilt of contradictions; check around N. Europa, say.
Maybe 10,000 house-swaps-for-a-year could provide stats to begin the disinfection.

First we outlaw the neck-tie. Then the suit (in hopes of altering the Suit-within?)
Clothes-make-the-man was a once-popular koan. OK.. if we change those, then ...
     Felix on Geithner's book - He's an unreliable narrator. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Was on Charlie Rose recently - (Ashton) - (4)
             I think that was Summers not Geithner re B. Born. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Thanks, my bad / wrong sometimes-perp. - (Ashton)
                 Speaking of Summers playing politician rather than economist... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Never mind 'feet of clay', clearly some sort of Ego-extractor needs development - (Ashton)

They are the Eggmen.
46 ms