IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Second US Mers case.
The patient in Indiana was released from a hospital Friday into home isolation, according to state health officials.

He is an American health care provider who had been working in Saudi Arabia and was on a planned visit to Indiana to see his family.

The Florida patient is also a health care provider, according to a federal government official with knowledge of the case.

No patients at the Indiana hospital had close contact with the man, who was in a private triage unit and admitted to a private bed on a general medical floor within three hours of showing up at the facility, Dr. Alan Kumar, chief medical information officer with Community Hospital in Munster, Indiana, said last Monday.

The man's family brought him in after he complained of flu-like symptoms including shortness of breath, coughing and fever, officials said. They told medical staff he had been in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ex.html?hpt=hp_t2
New Now, this I don't understand.
538 cases in 17 countries. 145 have died.

I'm pretty sure that every day a much greater number of children shit themselves to a miserable death due to lack of access to clean water.

So we care about this (and SARS, which managed to off a grand total of 773 people world wide) because what, now?
New First World problems. :-/
We know how to treat cholera and the like. MERS and SARS and H5N1 so forth are scary because our wonder drugs aren't terribly effective against them. A sign of things to come, perhaps?

(Plus, it helps sell clicks.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: First World problems. :-/
Plus the anti-biotics research is spendy. They aren't "really" pursuing new Wonder Antibiotics... because "profit"

It is amazing.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Well, we're killing our support system with broad spectrum..
antibiotics

http://thedailyshow....sts/martin-blaser

and the book here:

http://www.amazon.co...ing/dp/0805098100
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New My Doctor...
My Doctor's kids play in the mud and ingest a lot of things accidentally. He lives on former "traditional" dairy farm land. The family finally sold it after they just could not compete with the big time/high scale commercial outfits.

He said the earth/dirt smells almost wonderfully delicious.

He said this "anti-microbial" trend/fad/tendency is going to collapse our society faster than any war will. It is coming. The assurance it is going to happen is approaching "1" in the future and probably much sooner than global warming will kill us.

Unless we get/develop "Star Trek" type medications that target very specific things... we are indeed doomed.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Seems a pretty smart Dr.
Those kids are bound to develop a much more ept immune system than those whose houses are hospital-disinfected.
In days of yore, people working on farms ingested all sorts of 'pro-biotics' from soil unwrecked by seasons of chemicals. Pro-biotic hadn't even been coined.
(I'm still benefiting from my experiment, done also before the meme spawned so much BS-grade stuff that now, it's nearing impossible to vet the sources/composition of most.)

Vulture capitalism will do that, natch--ethics-free by-design.
Nobody knows if we can un-wreck so much deadened-soil; add-to-long-list :-/ then burn it.
New easy
People dying of bad water are "there", and stay there. Mobile people dying of airborne communicable disease can come "here" and threaten "us".
     Second US Mers case. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
         Now, this I don't understand. - (pwhysall) - (6)
             First World problems. :-/ - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Re: First World problems. :-/ - (folkert)
                 Well, we're killing our support system with broad spectrum.. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     My Doctor... - (folkert) - (1)
                         Seems a pretty smart Dr. - (Ashton)
             easy - (crazy)

Duuuude...?
48 ms