IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not a market maker issue
Distance to alternative venue issue. YOUR broker has paid for a single connection to a single exchange. HFT has paid for connections to many exchanges. If you want to by XYZ, and the last trade cost X dollars, and the local price is X+2, but it's X+1 somewhere far away, then the HFT trader can go grab it far away and offer it locally, slightly undercutting the local offer. This is good for the local buyer, bad for the local seller, and good to normalize pricing. So the local seller is PISSED, and demonizes it because the HFT just "stole" the difference. But HFT also saved the buyer some money. HFT drives down pricing arbitrage profits, which is why it makes less $$ every year as tech gets better and cheaper and more people can do it.
New That makes sense.
It still seems ridiculous to me that it's somehow sensible to run a market this way, though. Why not have an agreement among the markets that the market's active bid price will an average over the previous 5 seconds, and the ask price similarly over the previous 5 seconds. Or something similar. Why have a system that depends so much on speed when people in the real world don't?

How do fast and wild price swings help the stockowners or the companies or the economy? They only seem to help the brokers who can play the spread in quasi-real time.

It's crazy and invites wild swings by computers that will break down and will enter pathological states on occasion, as we have seen.

This reminds me... One of my old bosses found a stock that regularly cycled between $20 and $40. It did it for years on end. He said he made quite a bit of money buying at $20 and selling at $40... (Of course, the cycle eventually ended.) That was over months, though, not msec.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You can make pricing rules for the market makers, but not
the independents.

Someone may want to accumulate a stock over time. He can put in a variety of bids, different prices, active different amounts of times. Would you tell him he can't bid this way?

Someone shows up in the market, needs cash fast, and offers more shares than the market maker can absorb. Must he price it higher due to the rule, and then get no buyers? Brokers have hundreds or thousands of clients that must take these orders and then send them up to the exchange, constantly.

If you make it a law, it will only happen in the US, and then the trades will happen out of the US. Will you put capital flow controls in place to avoid this? Then the stocks themselves will move, and the US will simply be out of the game.
New I knew it was complicated. Thanks. Still...
New what the boss did is surfing the market
quite a few stocks swing in a regular pattern, time the pattern and make some money.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
     Noahpinion: We don't know if HFT is good or bad. - (Another Scott) - (25)
         Short version: - (hnick) - (23)
             What is their service? - (drook) - (22)
                 Maybe... - (hnick)
                 market makers? - (crazy) - (20)
                     Nope - (drook) - (8)
                         Poor assumption - (crazy) - (7)
                             Why does a nsec matter in such cases? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 Not a market maker issue - (crazy) - (4)
                                     That makes sense. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         You can make pricing rules for the market makers, but not - (crazy) - (1)
                                             I knew it was complicated. Thanks. Still... -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         what the boss did is surfing the market - (boxley)
                             Re: There is no one looking to buy it. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Alex's content just reminded me - (drook) - (10)
                         Becuase the market makers make sure there is always a buyer - (crazy) - (9)
                             Not saying bad, but why is it required? - (drook) - (8)
                                 Primary vs Secondary Market. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                     So ... - (drook) - (5)
                                         We get to watch, and pick up the pieces when it crashes. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                             Heard about Piketty? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                 Yup. #388401. ;-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     I will *TRY* to stop doing that to you. ;0( -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                         No worries. - (Another Scott)
                                 Also, (most importantly?) Brokers a guaranteed commissions. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         ZeroHedge: GS exiting HFT and NYSE and ... - (Another Scott)

The aliens look like spiders...
306 ms