IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Neil de-G.T. on npr re lots of things, new Cosmos:[Edit]
(or see Fresh Air rerun in your time zone)

Much good stuff about his background, relevance of SETI etc. He is a worthy successor to Sagan + More, IMO.
Some great observations, from his odd intro to education/the insistence on A's etc.

Most here grok this POV but he's well worth hearing: the whole hour. 'How to sell Science'--by examples from invention fallout of NASA's operations from the first.
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 27, 2014, 10:45:50 PM EST
New I can't friggin wait! (New Cosmos!)
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New It's on Fox [!] am hoping 'std' and not some Premium slot
That is: the Fox stuff normally broadcast On-Air (back when there was still any consideration of such things as 'public airwaves'.)

My el-cheapo bargain with the Comcast Devil-monopolist includes what used to be KTVU Ch2 'Fox' in this area;
fingers crossed, as I Won't send them any upgrade fees.
Also unclear: if Fox will show reruns on web.

Nothing.. is ever simple.
New Fox and Fox News aren't the same.
They're both under the Murdoch hydra, of course, but Fox has had some good shows (e.g. The Simpsons, Futurama) and Ailes has nothing to do with it. ;-)

IOW, don't feel guilty watching the new Cosmos!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks, so I'm OK without supporting Evildom.. re -Tyson:
He seems the most competent (and full-) Successor to Sagan's [Yes!..] perspicuity; can't think of any Science type extant, clearly superior.
Cosmos was ... Revelatory to many, IMO an unprecedented media-type event. Ex:
Some local friends from SF, who moved to the academic ghetto on my St... were biz-types; my connection:
their family had introduced me to Lieder, Bel Canto, obscure composers and much great music. (I fixed their HiFi.)

They had been pretty iggerant of basic stuff, and I'd introduced them to dealing with large numbers via 10n.
(Hey, from there: you can next de-mystify scary 'logarithms' etc.)
Anyone can do that level of 'exponentials', we see. If someone will just take 5 min. (And skip The Principia!)

Was pleasantly surprised at how much they retained--thanks mainly to Sagan's talent/conversational non-didactic speech (pre-'framing'?).
He might have incrementally increased the IQs of many, at the time. What's THAT 'worth'?
(I Ffrget the latest %Muricans who know if the Sun rotates about the Earth. In 2014, 45 yrs. after moon trips.)

Anticipating some Good Stuff from -Tyson. He had to fight the academics in his early years--no credit for his independent researches, ex-'school'.
(He despises the same aspects of Murican traditional education-theories as do I. And Will create some changes, I wot.)
In his Fresh Air/npr recent comments he described turning-down an offer to 'laud' his early training at school X. Said flatly
~~ You wouldn't Like what I would say about That! Loved. It.

Serendipity: My 2nd summer in NY (Queens) I hung out at the Hayden a lot, too. Still have my small circular 400 yr. calendar from there. Circular slide-rule.
(My Mater, Aunt never grokked the extent of my excursions on the BMT, IRT and Independent subways
--but did (knowingly) 'let me go' alone in evenings to the Goldman Band concerts in Central Park.)

Imagine letting a 9 yo do the same today.. :-/ (We suck in so Many ways, in terms of Real-non-$$-life.)

Dunno if you ever saw Cosmos 'live': did you?
New I remember snippets of the show, but didn't always watch.
Sagan was an great presenter, and the show was good, but I wasn't a huge fan and didn't always watch. There seemed to be an almost cult-like atmosphere created by parts of the press and some of the "Cornell Mafia" at the time. I never would have suspected that science shows on TV would nearly dry up after he was gone. :-(

It looks like we were more similar than I thought - http://en.wikipedia....39_World.27s_Fair

1939 World's Fair[edit]

Sagan recalls that one of his most defining moments was when his parents took him to the 1939 New York World's Fair when he was four years old. The exhibits became a turning point in his life.

Heh. The 1964-1965 Worlds Fair did that for me. Seeing the dinosaurs at Sinclair's Dinoland left an impression! http://nywf64.com/sinclair01.shtml

A couple of shows that stuck with me more than Cosmos (maybe due to the time more than anything else) were James Burke's "The Day the Universe Changed" - http://www.amazon.co...ke/dp/B001RCL5SQ/ and "I, Leonardo" (aka "The Life of Leonardo Da Vinci") - http://www.amazon.co...HS/dp/6303400396/ And of course just about anything done by David Attenborough...

Here's hoping NdGT gets the writers and production assistance the topic deserves. It's good that Fox is pushing it; I hope 9 PM on Sundays (or 10 PM Mondays on NatGeo) isn't too late for school kids to see... :-(

I do wish that Fox hadn't seemingly retouched his photo to make his skin lighter in the promo pictures - http://www.cosmosontv.com/ (vs https://www.google.c...3&bih=670&dpr=0.9 ). :-<

Fingers crossed for him. I hope it's a great success.

Cheers,
Scott.
New James Burke was a fav here, too..
Guess I cut Sagan's mannerisms a bit more slack, though I viewed the series as, for the neophytes and judged it on those apparent results.
Also, didn't pay enough attention to peripheral stuff to catch the Cornell effect; expected hype, though.

(Had already realized the gulf/chasm?? between most folks and anything beyond junk-science.--so my interest was self-serving.)
I mean.. who wants to live amidst folk who see sci. as magick (they don't want to learn about) or fearful-doings (they'd rather imagine about?)

Neutral on Fox's 'lightening' -?- lots of shades on Google, too; there's no 'STP' for color temp across all photogs, right? Gotta see him Live..
(Not that it wouldn't occur to Fox to pander to Its Base, of course--but so blatantly, in 2014?)
Many good posters/quips in that collection,

There is no shame in not knowing.

The problem arises
when irrational thought and attendant behavior
fill the vacuum left by ignorance

Think T. will do fine--exceed Sagan, except extemporaneously perhaps, peripheral to the Show: clearly he doesn't suffer fools at all, and there are many around/in-suits or grungies.

PS: Gotcher Tickets to the '39 Worlds Fair right chere! A bit early por moi to go. $3.75 for face-value $5.40 !!!
(Aunt legacy--seems they used a few of them.) Inside also too: a Ration Coupon for 5# sugar (Rev. 2-44)
If The Doctor times it right, on 6/10/39 George VI + Elizabeth will be there too!

So we're good to go, if the Tardis stays on schedule.
New NDT,,,
I can (and have) listen to him for hours and hours and hours straight.

He is just full of brilliance... and he is personable.

Except, he is an "Elitist" and the cult of ignorance rails against that.

Oh well.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Thanks for the NPR tip, really enjoyed it

>>> "... and I'd introduced them to dealing with large numbers via 10n."

From a couple years ago, a nice book about math and baseball! (It's at your local library)

http://www.amazon.co...and+the+professor
New Another good tip, (prolific one too) thanks.
New Here's NYTimes piece on it:
http://www.nytimes.c...boots-cosmos.html
A poignant moment occurs near the end of the first episode of “Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey,” a rollicking 13-part tour of the universe to be broadcast on Fox starting on Sunday.

Sitting on a rock by the Pacific, Neil deGrasse Tyson, host of the show and director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York City, pulls out an old desk calendar that had belonged to Carl Sagan, the Cornell astronomer and author. On a date in 1975 he finds his own name. The most famous astronomer in the land had invited young Neil, then a high school student in the Bronx with a passion for astronomy, to spend a day in Ithaca.
Turns out Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow, is involved.
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Ithaca, indeed!
>>> "The most famous astronomer in the land had invited young Neil, then a high school student in the Bronx with a passion for astronomy, to spend a day in Ithaca.""

"As you set out for Ithaka
hope the voyage is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them:
you’ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.

[...]

http://www.cavafy.co...t.asp?cat=1&id=74
New Now that is an eclectic serendipity! :)
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Thou sayest.. well.
     Neil de-G.T. on npr re lots of things, new Cosmos:[Edit] - (Ashton) - (13)
         I can't friggin wait! (New Cosmos!) -NT - (folkert) - (8)
             It's on Fox [!] am hoping 'std' and not some Premium slot - (Ashton) - (7)
                 Fox and Fox News aren't the same. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Thanks, so I'm OK without supporting Evildom.. re -Tyson: - (Ashton) - (5)
                         I remember snippets of the show, but didn't always watch. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             James Burke was a fav here, too.. - (Ashton)
                         NDT,,, - (folkert)
                         Thanks for the NPR tip, really enjoyed it - (dmcarls) - (1)
                             Another good tip, (prolific one too) thanks. -NT - (Ashton)
         Here's NYTimes piece on it: - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Ithaca, indeed! - (dmcarls) - (2)
                 Now that is an eclectic serendipity! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Thou sayest.. well. -NT - (Ashton)

She's kinda got that "tornado bait before the DingDongs work their magic" look.
69 ms