IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The War on Christmas
In a binding flash of the obvious, I realized what all the angst is about.

Any reasonable person can see that "Happy Holidays" isn't anti-Christmas. If anything it's trying to be *more* inclusive. But isn't that how Christmas absorbed Saturnalia and all the other solstice festivals? "Sure, keep celebrating your pagan holiday, but we *also* celebrate Christmas."

The problem for the incumbents is that they can't point to the Jews, or the communists, or the Muslims, or the blacks who are "behind" it. It's *everyone*, a conspiracy of aligned interest.

That's why they rant and rave about the secularists, and talk dismissively about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa and all the other year-end holidays.

Their dominant Christian culture *is* losing power, its observances being subsumed into the new culture. They intuitively *feel* that it's happening, but can't find an enemy to direct their anger at.
--

Drew
New The War on Christmas edit added anothe quote
was started by the christians.
. In 1647, the Puritan-led English Parliament banned the celebration of Christmas, replacing it with a day of fasting and considering it "a popish festival with no biblical justification", and a time of wasteful and immoral behavior.
http://en.wikipedia....versy#Puritan_era
Historian Stephen Nissenbaum contends that the modern celebration in the United States was developed in New York State from defunct and imagined Dutch and English traditions in order to refocus the holiday from one where groups of young men went from house to house demanding alcohol and food into one centered on the happiness of children. He notes that there was deliberate effort to prevent the children from becoming greedy in response.
maybe we should show up to Bill O'Reilly's house with empty tankards
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
Expand Edited by boxley Dec. 24, 2013, 10:42:56 AM EST
New And because we screwed up that last part ...
The Krampus is making a comeback.
--

Drew
New Boy, did we EVER screw up 'that last part'!
Ever talk to the offspring of über-rich parents?
(The parents may well have counseled otherwise--in words--to kid ... but seemingly their actions all along taught the message of: Me/Nobility.)

..and they go out and emulate Wall Street--the movie. Becoming the next Generation of Vipers.
New Not their fault. They have affluenza.
New The Christians stole the holiday from the Pagans.
The Pagans have taken it back. The wild Saturnalia starts on the 17th (only 8 more shopping days until Christmas!) and leads up to the more solemn Sol Invictus on the 25th. So, Happy Sol Invictus, everyone!
New So, the Incas had it right!
It's not good to be a llama during the Inti Raymi. :)
Alex
New And to you, and everyone as well. I hope it's a good one.
New They're running out of things to "war on" about.
Mixing of the Races, Flag Burning, Balanced Budget Amendment, School Busing, "Traditional Marriage", etc., etc. Too many culture-clash items that were supposed to result in the "End of the Republic!!11" if they weren't defeated or enacted have come and gone and we're still here (and even better for it).

They have lost on the items above, and are losing on the WoC. It's laziness on their part - going to the same old well in an attempt to rile-up the oldsters yet one more time - just like clockwork - http://www.google.co...%20on%20christmas

So, for at least some of them, the new approach is to try to reinterpret icons on the left as "really" being conservative. Jesus, JFK, MLK, Rosa Parks - I wouldn't be surprised if FDR is next. I guess something we saw yesterday at the Mercado in San Antonio is part of that approach: a dreamcatcher with the center circles made up of Confederate flags.... :-/ (You can even find them on Amazon.)

<sigh>

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ahem,
perfectly legitimate dream catcher.
In spite of early successes, by the winter of 1862-63 the Confederate hold on the Cherokee Nation was slipping. Nonetheless, Watie's Regiment continued to harass Federal forces. In June and September 1864, scored his greatest military feats in the capture of the Union steamboat J.R. Williams and the Second Battle of Cabin Creek. In May 1864 Watie was promoted to brigadier general, and in February 1865 he was placed in command of the Indian Division of Indian Territory. However, by then the war was lost. Watie surrendered on June 23, 1865. He was the last Confederate general to do so. Afterward, he served as a member of the pro-Southern Cherokee delegation to the Fort Smith Council in September 1865.
http://digital.libra...ries/W/WA040.html
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Of course.
<sigh>

I'm sure the people selling those things in south Texas were celebrating their Cherokee heritage. :-/

See Swake's comments here - http://www.city-data...e-flags-ok-9.html

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It is perfectly fine...
to take pot shots at him. He as much as admitted he believes his own spew.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New why do you describe a bunch of comments that reflect my view
that Scott Posted as spew? He posted them. It's christmas dude, save you hatred for after new year at least
New Fine.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New I'm going to update this software
To make it impossible for you to reply to each other. Give it a rest, it gets very old. Take it to email if you feel the need but I'm sick of seeing it here.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New don't bother, time for me to grow up and ignore folks
instead of responding, apologies for the grief
New Kidding more than anything
But making a point too. ;-)
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     The War on Christmas - (drook) - (16)
         The War on Christmas edit added anothe quote - (boxley) - (6)
             And because we screwed up that last part ... - (drook) - (2)
                 Boy, did we EVER screw up 'that last part'! - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Not their fault. They have affluenza. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             The Christians stole the holiday from the Pagans. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 So, the Incas had it right! - (a6l6e6x)
                 And to you, and everyone as well. I hope it's a good one. -NT - (Another Scott)
         They're running out of things to "war on" about. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             Ahem, - (boxley) - (7)
                 Of course. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     It is perfectly fine... - (folkert) - (5)
                         why do you describe a bunch of comments that reflect my view - (boxley) - (4)
                             Fine. -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                                 I'm going to update this software - (malraux) - (2)
                                     don't bother, time for me to grow up and ignore folks - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Kidding more than anything - (malraux)

Only if you're a philistinic illiterate colonial baboon like yourself.
75 ms