IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Another way.
Don't use steel.

Seriously.

Although it would be difficult and expensive, there are other materials that have much higher melting/softening points than steel.

This thought reminds me of something I saw about a building fire years ago. It might have been on a TV show....

There was a tremendous fire in some old building somewhere. But the building didn't collapse because it was built with oak beams. The wood was chared but it retained its strength while steel I beams would have softened tremendously.

Of course finding enough oak beams to build a 110 story building would be a problem (assuming oak would have the strength necessary and that may be a bad assumption). But if fire and collapse become primary safety considerations in large buildings, then other materials will have to be considered. Maybe titanium alloys or something....

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wonder if that helped the Pirelli building?
Though it was only 25 storeys or so, it was made from concrete. Tallest concrete buildilng in the world, apparently. I don't know if >100 floors of concrete would be suitable, somehow.

Another option would be to go down, not up. Which has its limitations, of course. Unless you actually *want* a nice swimming pool of (insert Doctor Evil voice here) liquid hot Magma...

On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
     NOW on NPR: latest report on WTC collapse (engineering) - (Ashton) - (8)
         If it's the one I think it is... - (static) - (7)
             Think they may indeed have' thought' of that - - (Ashton) - (6)
                 There is a way to do it. - (static) - (5)
                     Another way. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Wonder if that helped the Pirelli building? - (Meerkat)
                     Hey Wade... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                         Not me. - (static) - (1)
                             Amusing. - (inthane-chan)

Did it involve geese?
48 ms