IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If it's the one I think it is...
... I saw it a month ago on (I think) [link|http://www.sbs.com.au/|SBS]. Good program. It showed the buildings had just one major design flaw: no-one thought about a plane full of jet fuel hitting a tower.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Think they may indeed have' thought' of that -
as is clearly the case in the design of containment domes for nuclear reactors ('Course too.. *when* they considered that possibility -- it was the 707 era.. etc.)

Another unfortunate choice in this otherwise open-space saving design was - the "convenient" locations for the stairs! And as you saw in the film... via sheer Luck (as there was no way to find out real-time) the few who managed upper-floor escape: were yet able to thread a path depite the Problem.

The calculations (just thermal!) re such a load of flammable material appear to have gotten at least a passing notice at design stage. Deemed insoluble, not only re the fail-point in temp of the steel, but also the sheer volume of water for an expanded "sprinkler" capacity.

Needless to say - any cockamamie idea of "We'll Show THEM" via YAN monolith of 100 floors: were it Evil-Proof, there'd be 13.34% useable space and the rest: massive steel insulation, escape chutes and rocket-pods :-\ufffd

ie I don't think so..

Ashton IM Pei LLoyd Wright
New There is a way to do it.
By which I mean a reasonable way, and not one involving the banning of flying objects. It involves thinking laterally and out on the edge of science. To wit: built it as a pyramid.

Wade.

New Another way.
Don't use steel.

Seriously.

Although it would be difficult and expensive, there are other materials that have much higher melting/softening points than steel.

This thought reminds me of something I saw about a building fire years ago. It might have been on a TV show....

There was a tremendous fire in some old building somewhere. But the building didn't collapse because it was built with oak beams. The wood was chared but it retained its strength while steel I beams would have softened tremendously.

Of course finding enough oak beams to build a 110 story building would be a problem (assuming oak would have the strength necessary and that may be a bad assumption). But if fire and collapse become primary safety considerations in large buildings, then other materials will have to be considered. Maybe titanium alloys or something....

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wonder if that helped the Pirelli building?
Though it was only 25 storeys or so, it was made from concrete. Tallest concrete buildilng in the world, apparently. I don't know if >100 floors of concrete would be suitable, somehow.

Another option would be to go down, not up. Which has its limitations, of course. Unless you actually *want* a nice swimming pool of (insert Doctor Evil voice here) liquid hot Magma...

On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Hey Wade...
Were you the one I was talking to right after the WTC collapse where we were swapping ideas of how to use pyramidal structures to hold up a structure under a kinetic attack?
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
New Not me.
But you'll be amused how I thought of it.

I was originally going to say something along the lines of leveraging space elevator technology, but then I remembered several scenes from Kim Robinson's Mars trilogy with the space tether.

Then I recalled huge pyramidal structures in Shadowrun - arcologies, actually, with hundreds of levels. And in the original source material, in Seattle. :-)

Wade.

New Amusing.
I don't know who it was I was chatting with, but we came up with the same idea, except without harkening back to Shadowrun ideology... :)
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
     NOW on NPR: latest report on WTC collapse (engineering) - (Ashton) - (8)
         If it's the one I think it is... - (static) - (7)
             Think they may indeed have' thought' of that - - (Ashton) - (6)
                 There is a way to do it. - (static) - (5)
                     Another way. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Wonder if that helped the Pirelli building? - (Meerkat)
                     Hey Wade... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                         Not me. - (static) - (1)
                             Amusing. - (inthane-chan)

Hmmm...Cucumis sativus...coincidence? I think not.
44 ms