IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No True Scotsman? Really?
;-)

Interesting Fortune article from February 1974 - http://www.pennsylva...lds%20Weather.pdf (10 page .pdf)

The human impact

Bryson calculates, however, that neither volcanic activity nor the lack of it seems sufficient to account for the temperature ups and downs of this century. He is convinced that man's activities have been playing an increasingly significant part.

In agreement with other climatologists, he believes that a substantial increase in carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels contributed to the earlier warming trend, through what's called the "greenhouse effect." Carbon dioxide happens to be quite transparent to light of short, visible wavelengths, which include most of the energy we receive from the sun. After this light penetrates the atmosphere, however, it is converted into heat by the earth and reradiated at the longer infrared wavelengths. Carbon dioxide molecules are not very transparent to infrared wavelengths, so this energy is trapped and reinforces the solar heating effect.

Bryson contends that sometime after 1930, the cooling effect of more dust in the atmosphere began to overpower the warming effect of carbon dioxide. Part of the dust blanket, no doubt, is due to industrial pollution. But Bryson suspects that windblown dust from mechanized agricultural operations and overgrazed arid land, plus smoke from primitive slash-and-burn land-clearing methods widely practiced in the tropics, may have contributed even more. While all the man-made particles together are probably still outweighed by contributions from nature - volcanic dust, salt particles from evaporated ocean spray, and organic compounds emitted by vegetation - the human contribution is the only part over which man has any control.

Whatever its source, dust has a more pronounced cooling effect on the polar regions than on the tropics. For one thing, sunlight reaching the poles must travel obliquely through the dust layers, and therefore more of it is reflected. Also, there seems to be much less dust over the equator than in the middle and higher latitudes.

[...]

Bad odds for optimists

Others emphasize that climatological theory as a whole is still far too primitive to predict what the future holds. One of these is Stephen Schneider, who is attempting to construct a mathematical model of climatological change at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado. Schenider believes that there's just as much evidence favoring a future warming trend as there is for continued cooling.

[...]

The physics was right. There wasn't as much data back then as there is now, so the consensus of the trend is very different than Roberts apparently thought in '74. But there wasn't a consensus that a new ice age was just around the corner...

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nicely extirpated report vaporizes another slogan..
But there will be more, similar. Some folks collect one-liners--expecting just Another one.
You're not playing this game er, -->Right(-polarity) enough!

:-0
New oh, I like that sentence a lot!
Others emphasize that climatological theory as a whole is still far too primitive to predict what the future holds
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New That was 1974. Things have progressed a little since then.
http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=94d_h_t2QAA (7:11). SFW.

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Odd that the voice was so primitive, given:
http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=41U78QP8nBk

First Computer to sing -- Daisy Bell.
In 1961

What was computer er, 'science' doing ..? for ... .... .... n... 13 years?
Lots of NIH? [not the health acronym ... the' Invented'-- one.]
;^>
New The IBM 7094 was a sweet machine! :)
I used one back around 1963-1965. Also used it's predecessors the vacuum tube based IBM 709 and the transistorized version of it, the IBM 7090.

The 7094 was what would now be called a 500 KHz (yes, kilohertz!!!) machine. But, it had a 36-bit word and all the basic instructions were performed in one cycle.

The standard machine had 32K words of core memory. The address field part of the machine instructions was 15-bits so its nor possible to address more memory. However, MIT paid IBM to have a second bank of 32K word memory with a machine instruction to switch which memory bank was active.

Great times!
Alex
New Lucky you! Got in just when No One Knew.. what was next.
Similarly, I usually assign Osborne1 the kudoes for: jump-starting the *everyone-can-play* computer--via his flat-Right surmise that
bundling some useful software Would Bring in the Adventurous--soonest.

(They might well have trounced Billy and his rich/insider Mom: had they not so foolishly tipped-hand on the Osborne2--with a warehouse full if 1s) ... as in Duh. :-/
It's ALWAYS the unpredictable Error (or next Brilliant Thought) which screws-up everyone's Master-plan-for the "next 5 years"!!

(Movie every half-hour.)

PS: had the pleasure of talking with Lee Felsenstein, its designer; he wanted to buy some Tweek (contact enhancer) after seeing Pournelle's Byte review.
I thanked him for 'my' Osborne1, sent him some extra/wouldn't accept payment. Sometimes ya gets to Thank people, by accident.
New I remember that Osborne financial fiasco well.
Talk about an inventory problem! T'is a shame indeed.

Many people remember that lesson and make sure to "clear the channel" before announcing the next big thing. Now, only discounting signals that a product is about to be replaced.
Alex
     thought someone around here claimed that scientists - (boxley) - (26)
         No True Scotsman? Really? - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Nicely extirpated report vaporizes another slogan.. - (Ashton)
             oh, I like that sentence a lot! - (boxley) - (5)
                 That was 1974. Things have progressed a little since then. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Odd that the voice was so primitive, given: - (Ashton) - (3)
                         The IBM 7094 was a sweet machine! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Lucky you! Got in just when No One Knew.. what was next. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 I remember that Osborne financial fiasco well. - (a6l6e6x)
         cripes, box - (rcareaga) - (17)
             if I am scoffing in 30 years - (boxley) - (16)
                 It's a tough problem. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                     The S-REX description is best synopsis yet seen - (Ashton)
                     there is a reason they call it an inconvenient truth - (boxley) - (12)
                         Gotcha quotes aren't evidence. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             Re: Gotcha quotes aren't evidence. - (boxley) - (10)
                                 I'd like to see the quotes in context. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                     You still don't get it - (Silverlock) - (8)
                                         Kinda-sorta... - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                             waitaminute a few posts ago Ash quoted an article - (boxley) - (6)
                                                 It's not easy to move between threads here... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Re: It's not easy to move between threads here... - (boxley)
                                                 >You< could not assimilate ALL-the-data/in every assertion.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                     of course not - (boxley) - (2)
                                                         Well then: guess we just watch TV, wait and see. Good plan. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                             better than burning up 50 years of gdp in 5 years for no - (boxley)
                 Re: if I am scoffing in 30 years - (pwhysall)

How can you die from a fall of a whopping 3 inches?
49 ms