Hard (for me) to imagine a less congenial place for a Downs person than.. a military school (!)

When we had our first Downs (-like? don't recall if the word was used outright at time) student, at first he was treated as you'd imagine if Lord of the Flies is seen to be the accurate depiction it is, of any group of boys left unattended. We were 'attended'.

When the message finally seeped through the layers of bone, even into most of the jock-brained and ego-besotted, there was vast improvement / actual self-*Learning* in evidence. (I was almost in tears at the recollection of one of the bully-boys seen actually having a small conversation with this kid; he.. trying-on the unfamiliar role of empathy !!. (Natch, had he noticed me noticing, well..)

Believe that these er Special persons are most valuable -- at least as important as any of us hi-IQ mutants -- they teach any of the still-teachable, that which is currently slipping away widely all-around, into mindless $-oriented Corporate fascism: humanity.

Ashton