IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Philosophical musings, danisfesto preface...
Freeform musings on life...

It is a very good thing that I am a liberal. It has allowed me the graceful luxury of not having to reevaluate my position on many issues as I am ALWAYS reevaluating my position. This comes in handy when life deals you some interesting cards.

Like, it's a good thing that I never take clear cut and unbending positions on things like abortion, parental responsibility, education, etc... Here's why I think it's unwise for others as well.

Hypothetical situation - suppose you were pushing forty and had never had the desire to have kids, but your wife's biological clock was ringing... You acquiesce. You have a child and think your done. You go through the sleepless nights, etc... Then your wife says that "it's not right for the child to be an only child" and you don't agree but after much insistence, many sexless months, many power plays, you conceive that second one. Then, because of your wife's advanced age, they want to do tests to determine the health of the child in the womb and for religious reasons, your wife declines (because abortion is wrong for any reason). You don't agree with the logic, but what the hell. What's the problem.

So then, you have another child, a beautiful baby girl with Down Syndrome. You feel very angry, upset, and powerless - at your own inadequacies. You also get a crash course in "Reality"... some actions are instantly permanent and irrevocable and the best must be made of them. Fight or flight... For a while, you feel resentment towards your wife, your future and God (or whatever hallucination you choose to pray to). You fear that you are not "qualified" to parent a special needs child, that the other kids will tease the normal brother, that she will never get asked to the prom... After a while, you realize that life is a series of compromises (roles that are accepted) and that our actions carry consequences; some good and some not so good - some easy, some difficult. When you have any child, there are no guaranties.

Then, in the midst of confusion, you find true faith - faith in yourself and faith in the power of your love for family. Faith that if others can do the difficult, then you can too...

What do you do with this knowledge? Keep it bottled in or share it? For a while, you feel like hermitting yourself away from the world, then you realise that you can't. Although your situation has changed, you haven't... and you may have something useful to share with others who find themselves dealing with tough situations.

In any event, there's a new little Screamer in the world. She's a beauty and I'm her proud papa... She's home and she's healthy and she's passed the brother and cats test...

If anyone has any resources or personal experience in raising and teaching children with Down Syndrome, I would be very interested in corresponding with you. Already done the Google and Amazon searches, so thanks in advance for not posting those :-)
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"As people assemble, civilization Is trying to find a new way to die,
But killing is really, merely scene changer,all men are bored, with other men's lives"

"We all know success, when we all find our own dreams
And our love is enough to knock down any walls
And the future's been seen, as men try to realize
The simple secret of the note in us all
in us all"
P. Townshend - Pure and Easy
New Congratulations
Not so much for having the kid, most of us can do that.[1] But for coming to terms with such a hard thing. I hope you can keep that outlook.

[1] OK, our wives could, but we could help start the process on its way.

[edit]
PS My wife has an aunt who teaches special-needs kids. If you ever have any specific questions I can ask for you.
===
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
Expand Edited by drewk May 10, 2002, 03:41:13 PM EDT
New Thank you
And I will keep you in mind as things arise.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

But killing is really, merely scene changer,all men are bored, with other men's lives"

in us all"
New Hurray! and_____damn, Dan
My Mater liked to say, God always tests the strong.. but She never asks more than can be done. (We may skip millions of symbolic def'ns here - my M's 'religion' was an eclectic collection of what, only in semi-mature hindsight did I ever recognize as... er Wisdom.)

I wouldn't insult your intelligence with homilies, but I've heard it said so often that I might believe it contains a kernel - that we refine our ability to love (at all) in such wrenching circumstances. Can only say that I've seen such occur -- looking back at events. What could be more 'valuable' than that?

Adding to lighted candles. Hope you can keep the momentum going, as you are surely starting from a more than sane position.

(Dunno if your e-mail's same as last one I had. Mine's changed to just ashton [no -b] ... and the place is vom. and a usual com)

Best to you both + tykes,

Ashton
New Thank you...
and I am not averse to homilies :-)

It was a tough first few weeks but I've got my wits about me and am proceeding on about the business of sleep deprivation and normal new dad stuff.

I'll get back to the business of posting more frequently when life settles in a bit more. I'm greatful you guys are here...

Dan
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

in us all"
New Congrats!
And no homilies here, either.
New What's up, yo?
Oh, homilies.

Congrats, Dan!

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Thanks to you and Peter...
I'll be writing more as time permits. I'm in a good mood today and feeling froggy enough to look at the Politics forum (probably won't contribute)...

A homilie that I like is "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" and I'm still here... And it's good to know that you guys are there. No shmaltzy stuff for now...

Dan
Putting Descartes before the horses in South Bend

I think therefore I don't...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

in us all"
New I remember being about 12yo
and ignorant as snot when we moved to a new neighborhood. Met the neighbor frank. Had a ball playing football with him. It wasnt until my dad explained to me he was 21 and "special" the I thought he was anything but a peer. Over the next couple of years I learned he was just an old kid, Peter Pans never never land in real life. Good luck and godbless,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Thanks Box...
I had a friend named Ted who was our paperboy for as long as I could remember. He had Down Syndrome (no, we didn't know he had a "syndrome"). We all loved him in our neighborhood and he played ball with us, went to all our little league and peewee games and cheered for us. He was in his twenties as well. I've also had the fortune of being friends with many other developmentally "challenged" people (euphemisms R us), like my friend Tom who has MS (he's 45 now), Dan (who has Down and is blind) in college, Howie, the guy attached to the police band radio who's brother and I and him got into massive amounts of trouble... actually, it's a very long list for me. And I've learned a lot from all of them.

Maybe God (I'm agnostic - it's possible), placed this girl in my care because of my past with people who are different. We all have a contribution to make, ALL of us.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

in us all"

New Children are a roll of the dice.
Congratulations! :-)

It's easy to imagine that things would be different, "if only". But no matter what your ages, having children is a roll of the dice.

E.g. My wife and her twin sister were born when their mother was 42, father was 43. They were a month premature but developed fine. Brilliant girls (tested to have IQs of 160 when they were in grade school). I knew others who had children in their 20s that had signs of mental retardation. My older brother has mild autism, and my younger half-brother has some mental retardation as well.

Even if you have children that are perfectly healthy, there's no telling what grief or joy they may bring through random acts of brilliance or stupidity. It's a roll of the dice. Don't feel angry about what might have been.

A pizza place not too far from here has a young woman with what appears to be Down Syndrome working there. She's always very helpful and friendly and quite fun to be around.

Best of luck, Dan.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Another variation..
Hard (for me) to imagine a less congenial place for a Downs person than.. a military school (!)

When we had our first Downs (-like? don't recall if the word was used outright at time) student, at first he was treated as you'd imagine if Lord of the Flies is seen to be the accurate depiction it is, of any group of boys left unattended. We were 'attended'.

When the message finally seeped through the layers of bone, even into most of the jock-brained and ego-besotted, there was vast improvement / actual self-*Learning* in evidence. (I was almost in tears at the recollection of one of the bully-boys seen actually having a small conversation with this kid; he.. trying-on the unfamiliar role of empathy !!. (Natch, had he noticed me noticing, well..)

Believe that these er Special persons are most valuable -- at least as important as any of us hi-IQ mutants -- they teach any of the still-teachable, that which is currently slipping away widely all-around, into mindless $-oriented Corporate fascism: humanity.

Ashton
New I've let my mind wonder down that path
and it was really conterproductive ("things would be different, if only"). I appreciate your sentiment about brilliance and stupidity and came to a similar conclusion.

My first and biggest concerns (aside from being parent enough to handle the needs of an "off the charts" IQ two and a half year old and a -potentially- learning disabled infant) was that my daughter would not become "independent" and would resent us for bringing her into the world. Then I started looking around at all the "normal" adults in their thirties and forties that are still living with their parents :-O ...

IQ is not a very efficient predictor of being able to lead a happy and "productive" life. My IQ has always tested very high and yet I am still lucky to be able to mildly function on my own. My high IQ and $1.65 will get me a rotten tasting cup o jo at Starbucks... I still have serious concerns about her education and her needs, but I also am learning that times have changed greatly from when I was growing up (I am 40) and Down children were neglected and or institutionalized. Children with this extra chromosome learn more slowly, but are (mostly) not limited in the amount they can learn... I just feel grateful to no end that my daughter suffers from none of the related congenital problems associated with Down children (40 to 50 percent have malformed hearts, many have leukemia, etc...) She is perfectly healthy and we'll just have to wait and see what her mental abilities are. In the meantime, we are just giving her a steady RX of milk and love.

I'm ramblin' now (hey, the Ramblin' Reck), so I'd best get some work down.

Thanks for your thoughts and insight.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

in us all"
     Philosophical musings, danisfesto preface... - (screamer) - (12)
         Congratulations - (drewk) - (1)
             Thank you - (screamer)
         Hurray! and_____damn, Dan - (Ashton) - (1)
             Thank you... - (screamer)
         Congrats! - (Brandioch) - (2)
             What's up, yo? - (pwhysall)
             Thanks to you and Peter... - (screamer)
         I remember being about 12yo - (boxley) - (1)
             Thanks Box... - (screamer)
         Children are a roll of the dice. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Another variation.. - (Ashton)
             I've let my mind wonder down that path - (screamer)

You were a prophet from above, then you came and sucked my blood.
57 ms