IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One more tip on external URLs - posting, not opening:
Ash: The one thing about the links you post that *might* be worth eliding is the extraneous information added as parameters to the URL itself. Technically, this is all that comes after the name of the page (or "resource") itself, delimited by a question mark, like so: www.server.site/category/page_or_article_name?who=is_on&what=base&where=first . Most notably, your Salon links usually contain something like "?category=PremiumUser&source=EmailNewsletter". As such, that's probably harmless (i.e, detrimental only to Salon's marketing analytics, since the rest of us who follow your link actually didn't read their e-mailed newsletter at all; unless of course you consider us clicking through an extended effect of sending you the letter...), but other sites are liable to be a lot more devious: Adding some gibberish like "xgsEgh1234dTfdg" in there, *individually generated for each recipient*, means they can connect each request to their Web server to each e-mail they sent out. Any such sites might get slightly suspicious at you opening the same page dozens of times. From different machines as far afield as Great Britain, Australia and Finland. Within hours or even minutes of each other... So trimming off the question mark and anything that follows it could sometimes be useful. (Other times, of course, that's where the actual address of the resource you're trying to reach is encoded. Like the post numbers here.)
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Thanks for clear tip.
Noted the [?] *previously and had surmised ~~ your point, but failed to verify same.
Just did a test: yup: post-[?] is detritus, so will likely remember to sanitize accordingly.
* 'twas another way of foiling NYTimes, etc. IIRC.

To keep hand in the Boolean omniverse:
Still keeping alive my Safari/SnowLeopard-version, despite ominous warnings/imprecations to move--> *Chrome
* More I read of opinions of others on That--others also dissatisfied w/Apple's inattention to 'old'=5 yrs machines' Safari glitches--the less I like Chrome's presumptions-too. DAMN.

(Already keep FF on-tap/updated as an Alt; just Don't Want To Spend hrs. manipulating/configuring NoScript ... into some form I can abide; White/Black-lists??
its er, granularity Demands pecksniffery way-beyond my tolerance-du-jour, y'know?)
I don't fucking-Play with these mindless machines!.. anyway not since CP/M, say.

So I get a half-life of ~3 days before I have to close/relaunch Safari;
last Update did get a new Safari Version too: BUT Apple still hasn't figured out What >I< Want:
On relaunch: put the various opened-pages (via "Reload Previous") in Finder
--but Do Not Go There ie OPEN EACH tab Unless:
I next click-on-one! Duh. Is this so hard for their boffins to Get?

(For a while there, it looked as if they Did Grok This simple alteration.. but Noo, bloody script somewhere reverts to filling-in the URLS in background! Still.)
If I had the phone # of the chief honcho of Updates.. ...
and If Apple had FF's [about:config] You Could Toggle this 'feature' ON/OFF.. HATE this crap--but have to pay Attention to it, anyway.

OK TMI: [burn-before-reading]
Yeah too: all I Want is..
for some obscenely-Rich MegaCorp--to keep one of their products Still-working after a measly 5 Years of service:
I Ain't about to trash a >$1K machine this soon--to get something ridiculously Thinner! and with soldered-in memory, etc.

..and I Want a pony, too.

</burn>
Sorry.. some days I HATES this trend of techno-run-amok for-its-Own-sake: not MINE.

Back to Pine-mail on Lynx?
New That FireFox relaunch thing...
AFAIK it's default behaviour for FF to "restore" each tab, but not actually download it unless and until you open that specific tab. Could be that it's a non-default setting somewhere... Waitasec, will gogoogling.

Here's the basics on restoring tabs (though nothing about whether they're actually loaded or not, AFAICS): https://support.mozi...-previous-session

googlgooglgooglgoogl... Ah:

Options, Tabs, "Don't load tabs until selected".

HTH!

--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New It's a Safari relaunch thing.. alas.
Apparently FF DOES Get It; I just have preferred keeping the muscle-memory as makes Safari-moves seamless now..
As browsers go: I Be Conservative/maybe even Reactionary :-0

Thanks, "Don't load tabs until selected" is EXACTLY-what Safari HAS-not. Duh, Apple-kiddies.

When I tire of cookie-harvesting and reloads I just may have to go FF ...which means wasted time with baby-talking to NoScript
(as seems to need massaging to Each's prefs because: all those Customizable &^#^# Options.)
Yeah one man's poison is ...

And I Know: adapt/adopt or Die. Or something like that..
     Apropos of Bizness -vs- 'Regulations': JPMorgan, via NYT: - (Ashton) - (11)
         Those are per computer... - (folkert) - (4)
             Per browser, even. -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Yessum but most people... - (folkert) - (2)
                     "Most people", sure, but most people *here*...? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         I'm feeble enough to pay the NYT - (rcareaga)
         "Private Browsing" is your friend. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Ah.. thanks; timely reminder. And yes: - (Ashton)
         One more tip on external URLs - posting, not opening: - (CRConrad) - (3)
             Thanks for clear tip. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 That FireFox relaunch thing... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     It's a Safari relaunch thing.. alas. - (Ashton)

Maybe this thing does have "macros".
123 ms