IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Those are per computer...
set with Cookies.

So each computer gets its own.

Unless you login or they have changed it. (Which I seriously Doubt)
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
Expand Edited by folkert Sept. 19, 2013, 05:51:36 PM EDT
New Per browser, even.
New Yessum but most people...
Can't even begin to wrap heads around that.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New "Most people", sure, but most people *here*...?
I mean, by pure calendar years, our oldest and feeblest members are probably Ash, the Gryge, perhaps Hugh and Rand and... Idunno, something like that order(*). I hope you're not saying *those* guys wouldn't understand a concise explanation like my attempt below? Except I suspect most of them know this already:
Web site owners often want or need to keep track of who has visited their site and some details of the visit (when, which pages, how many pages this month, etc). One way to do that is with "cookies", little snippets of data that the site's Web server sends to the user's browser to keep. Since each browser keeps its cookies stored in its own way, a user who has several browsers on the same machine also has several different sets of cookies on that machine. For places like the NYT, who want to keep count of how many pages you've visited for free, this means that the user can browse his allotted number of pages *in each of his browsers*, so for example having three different browsers installed means you can read thirty NYT pages each month in stead of ten.
Except of course, as has been pointed out above, opening a link to such places in an "incognito", "private" or "anonymous" -- or what have you -- tab or window is even better, since that means any cookies get discarded after you close that session. (Thus you can in effect circumvent that policy totally, subject only to the limitations set by your own conscience.) In both FireFox and Chrome the menu you get when you right-click a link has an "open in private window" choice; the one in Internet Explorer (version 9 here) does not.

---
(*): Sorry to any greybeards who feel left out; 'tis naturally only because I've been misled by your youthful on-line demeanour. Or youngsters I promoted in age; that again is of course due solely to your impressive aura of intellectual maturity.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New I'm feeble enough to pay the NYT
It's been the first place I go each online morning for the past fifteen years, and while I'd rather the tariff was more modest, I think it's an endeavor worth supporting. I'd probably pay for The Guardian as well. For our home-grown Chronicle? Not a chance.

cordially,
     Apropos of Bizness -vs- 'Regulations': JPMorgan, via NYT: - (Ashton) - (11)
         Those are per computer... - (folkert) - (4)
             Per browser, even. -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Yessum but most people... - (folkert) - (2)
                     "Most people", sure, but most people *here*...? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         I'm feeble enough to pay the NYT - (rcareaga)
         "Private Browsing" is your friend. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Ah.. thanks; timely reminder. And yes: - (Ashton)
         One more tip on external URLs - posting, not opening: - (CRConrad) - (3)
             Thanks for clear tip. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 That FireFox relaunch thing... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     It's a Safari relaunch thing.. alas. - (Ashton)

Smarter than the av-er-age bear!
49 ms