IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not yet.
I cleaned out all the caches, cookies, saved sessions, etc., in FF before the running Disk Utility. I haven't zapped the PRAM yet - thanks for the reminder about that. If it still acts up, that'll be next on the list.

So far, it seems happy. About 480 MB of RAM used by FF for 6 tabs, but it usually takes a day or more for it to go nuts...

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New <.<
I was kidding. I don't think you can actually zap the PRAM on a Mac anymore. Or rebuild the desktop database either.

Did you try disabling any installed browser extensions?

I was under the impression that FF is a bit of a memory hog/leaker, though they've worked recently to reduce that. So it may just be FF's fault.

New D'Oh!
I think I've zapped a PRAM about twice in my life. I haven't kept up with this stuff... Ya got me. :-)

I doubt that browser extensions are the issue. It's running less than I normally run - e.g. TabMixPlus, AdblockPlus, FlashBlock are about the only ones that have been installed (other than the usuals).

It's still happy at the moment - still only 480 MB of RAM used.

My guess is that there was some old garbage in the FF cache that was getting reloaded and grabbing memory and not freeing it properly. Yes, FF does have memory leaks, but this was really extreme.

I'm not willing to stick my neck out and say it's fixed, but it's looking good so far.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Potentially handy Firefox page: about:memory , Chrome equiv - (Another Scott) - (8)
         Interesting! - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
             It's not helping so far... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Did you try zapping the PRAM? -NT - (altmann) - (5)
                     Not yet. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         <.< - (altmann) - (1)
                             D'Oh! - (Another Scott)
                     What does that even do? - (static) - (1)
                         Clears saved bootup info, etc. - (Another Scott)

I don't want to write it, and you don't want to see it.
50 ms