I use a stylus with my Palm Treo 755p. I like the idea of being able to use one with the replacement. The split-screen mode in the Note II is nice too - easier to cut-and-paste between things. And it's got a huge battery and fast processor and 2GB of RAM.

But it's so big, I don't know if I could use it as a phone without a really good BlueTooth contraption, and I don't like the idea of having something in my ear all the time. I just use a computer bag to lug my laptop back and forth to work, but figure I'd want a holster or big shirt pockets to lug a Note II around (if it would even fit). I refuse to have it in my hand all the time. (I have a belt holster for my Palm Treo (Hi Peter!).)

The Note II has much longer battery life than just about any phone except maybe the Razr Maxx HD.

The Note II can use a memory card, IIRC - dunno about the other one. Dunno if that matters to you.

Samsung Galaxy things apparently have a very cheap feel with smooth plastic. You might want a skin or cover or something to mitigate that, but that makes it even bulkier and harder to pull out of wherever it is quickly.

The Note III (and GS IV) is supposedly coming out in a few months, but you can never trust the rumors.

I like the idea of the Razr Maxx HD, but I've read too many reviews about the screen being fragile and some weirdness with the software that make me nervous. I want a phone that I can use all day without having to plug it in (or drag around a battery pack). And I want one that I can keep for 3-5 years if necessary.

If you plan on keeping it a while, I'd get the Note II. If you change phones every couple of years, it probably doesn't matter which you choose - something better/faster/cooler is always just a few months away (at least for now).

I don't know if that helps, but that's some of the things that I think about.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.