IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Scanning management software?
At some point in the near future, I've got to get a system in place where users can scan incoming paper documents received from employees and tie it to our current database.

I really don't need to do a lot with the scanned pages, other than be able to retrieve them for viewing when required for a particular employee. No text recognition or fancy archiving schemes. We're only talking about a couple of thousand pages per year, so I don't need to worry about jukeboxes or other archiving schemes.

All I need is the ability to scan the document and store it in the database with a key that matches the employees (empid or ssn would do). I'd need the person that scanned in the document to put in the identifier before, during or after the scan (preferably before as I don't want a bunch of unindexed documents floating around waiting to be put in the right place).

Anyhow, does anyone know of some simple software to perform such a chore?

Thanks.
New Re: Scanning management software?
I had a client that was doing a similiar thing, but wanted the ability to be able to index documents by user-defined name/value pairs.

They were using a imaging server called Alchemy ([link|http://www.onetouchgt.com/alchemy.html|http://www.onetouch...alchemy.html], I believe). I do believe it came with client software, as well, that handled the scanning and indexing, and would then store to a central server.

It also had APIs, as well, which enabled my company to build a web interface around their document repository, including searching capabilities.

It was fairly nifty. You might take a look at that.

HTH,
-Jason
----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
New Paradox would work
Paradox has a field type of BLOB (Binary Large OBject). Create table with index and a BLOB, scan in...

So I guess the Paradox imitation (ACCESS) should be able to handle it. Tying to your other database depends upon that the other database is. Shouldn't be too difficult to do.
Joe
Programming in Paradox since DOS 3.0
New Access could do it also...
...but I also like your solution better...except I've only been using Paradox since Dos 5
Um...er...well...

I have no choice!

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: Scanning management software?
What you have is a basic "imaging" application. Incidentally, as part of the "indexing" process (Jason mentions it) you probably need to include a capture date and also a brief description of the document that goes into the database. Picture the user who has provided the employee ID seeing a selection list of document images relevant to that employee. That's were that date and brief description are useful.

A good source for such information is the Imaging and Document Solutions magazine, now called Transform magazine.

[link|http://www.transformmag.com/index.shtml|Link.]

Look around for what's available.
Alex

Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
     Scanning management software? - (ChrisR) - (4)
         Re: Scanning management software? - (jlalexander)
         Paradox would work - (jbrabeck) - (1)
             Access could do it also... - (bepatient)
         Re: Scanning management software? - (a6l6e6x)

There's nothing you can't do with a proper snip of context.
53 ms