IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Management konsultant karma
Romney invested in a "state-of-the-art" GOTV operation yclept Orca. It appears to have been worse than useless. As they put it over at "Balloon Juice":
One of my core prejudices is that big consulting firms can’t write software. They’re a bunch of fast-talking MBAs who bullshit management into buying their services, and after they get the contract, all they care about is how cheap they can offshore a project, and how many hours they can bill. Well, Mitt Romney, the biggest consultant of them all, had to eat his own dogfood on Tuesday, and it was a goddam unappetizing meal.
http://www.balloon-j...11/09/fail-whale/

Delicious irony, that.

cordially,
New WTF!?
Project Orca was supposed to enable poll watchers to record voter names on their smartphones, by listening for names as voters checked in.

I'm not so sure I want someone other than the official poll workers taking notes on when and where I vote. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't. I don't know the legality of this, but at first glance this bothers me.
--

Drew
New Re: WTF!?
normally they have to wait until after the election for that data. They were trying to do it realtime
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New SOP, here at least.
Here in NoVA they have the official people sitting at the table, then party people sit behind them in chairs to record names of people coming to vote. They can't talk to the voters, but AFAIK, if they think there's a problem they can talk to the head of the precinct to complain.

They're our version of Jimmy Carter's election monitors. There doesn't have to be anything nefarious (and they can serve as a check on potential errors or issues with the poll workers).

E.g. http://www.vademocra...t/Voterprotection

As a volunteer, you will monitor a precinct to assure compliance with Virginia and federal voting laws. You do not need any prior election law experience; we will train you to properly utilize our materials developed by some of the leading election law practitioners in the country.

The program is also recruiting volunteers for the critical post election canvass. The outcome in close elections is ultimately determined after the polls close and your assistance is critical to ensure every ballot is counted correctly and fairly.

By utilizing your valuable skills and prior experiences, you will ensure the voices of all Virginians are heard and counted. All of the hard work done in preparation for Election Day is lost when votes are not counted, or our Commonwealth's election laws are violated. This is your opportunity to preserve the fragile freedoms that form the foundation of our great Commonwealth.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Good comment on the BJ thread
May I also say, I am really enjoying the right wing choking on their own MBA bullshit ideas. They are running their campaigns like businesses, and the Democrats are keeping things in-house, and not trying to turn every aspect of it into a profitable business venture and the results are starting to show up.

I would love to see a graph that didn’t just compare how much each side spent in donor funds, but some kind or reckoning of how much of that money actually went to real politicking and voter persuasion efforts, and how much was skimmed by administration, profit and overhead.

I bet that would be very revealing. The right wing funding advantage might just disappear entirely.

Yeah, that would be a cool graph.
--

Drew
New Tom Levenson: More Geekenfreude.
http://www.balloon-j...ore-geekenfreude/

[...]

By contrast, as the Michael Scherer’s piece I quoted yesterday describes, the Democratic cyber-team spent 18 months just to build the essential infrastructure of a usable meta-database and developing the software tools that would allow the Obama team to exploit that information for use in different settings throughout the active campaigning season.

And then there’s this, by Steve Lohron the NYT’s Bits Blog:

Another truly important change was in the technology itself. “Cloud computing barely existed in 2008,” Mr. Slaby said.

This time, the Obama campaign’s data center was mainly Amazon Web Services, the leading supplier of cloud services. The campaign’s engineers built about 200 different programs that ran on the Amazon service including Dashboard, the remote calling tool, the campaign Web site, donation processing and data analytics applications.

Using mainly open-source software and the Amazon service, the Obama campaign could inexpensively write and tailor its own programs instead of using off-the-shelf commercial software.

“It let us attack and engineer our own approach to problems, and build solutions for an environment that moves so rapidly you can’t plan,” Mr. Slaby said. “It made a huge difference this time.”

[ETA: by contrast, the Romney development process, again, as reported by Ars Technica’s Sean Gallagher [h/t commenter dmislev]:

To build Orca, the Romney campaign turned to Microsoft and an unnamed application consulting firm..

[But there were] a series of deployment blunders and network and system failures. While the system was stress-tested using automated testing tools, users received little or no advance training on the system. Crucially, there was no dry run to test how Orca would perform over the public Internet.

Part of the issue was Orca’s architecture. While 11 backend database servers had been provisioned for the system—probably running on virtual machines—the “mobile” piece of Orca was a Web application supported by a single Web server and a single application server. Rather than a set of servers in the cloud, “I believe all the servers were in Boston at the Garden or a data center nearby…]

Open source. Build it yourself. Don’t had over your wallet to a consultant and take (allegedly) turnkey delivery days or weeks before chequered flag goes down.

[...]

Amazon must be grinning from ear to ear now. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Heh, I just posted this in Software & Applications
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Rofl. Recursion!
     Management konsultant karma - (rcareaga) - (7)
         WTF!? - (drook) - (2)
             Re: WTF!? - (boxley)
             SOP, here at least. - (Another Scott)
         Good comment on the BJ thread - (drook)
         Tom Levenson: More Geekenfreude. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Heh, I just posted this in Software & Applications -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                 Rofl. Recursion! -NT - (Another Scott)

I think I'll go for a walk.
93 ms