IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Windows 8 ... no longer...
IMO, Windows 8, no longer can people say about Linux without saying it about Windows 8: "The interface is to much of a change" or "Its to hard to figure out"

So, the major stumbling block for people to move to a new OS and paradigm... is not so much anymore.

Sean Michael Kerner, mirrors this thought, but misses the mark. If people have to move to a new version with such a different interface... why not move to something that is much better (yes subjective I know)

http://www.internetn...8-love-linux.html

Another Scott... you keep pushing it off. Its time you admit it and just do it.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New It isn't the interface that keeps people there.
It's the applications.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Well, since...
Windows 8 on the surface doesn't do legacy... and that is the FYOOCHUR... what is that again?

And its not really the applications for most consumers... if they browse, do email and web games... there is no reason for Windows.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New I use many OSes. :-)
Work machines use Win7, XP, 2K, NT.

Home machines use OSX, Ubuntu 10.04, XP (Pro and Home), Win7. And XP in a few VirtualBox machines.

My Phone uses PalmOS 4. ;-)

Home printers are networked using Ethernet print server boxes connected to wireless switches.

Until my Fujitsu page-feed scanner can be run on Linux as well as it can under XP, there will be a need for Winders for that.

Until it is transparent for J to move her iPhoto collection and her iTunes music to Linux on her Macs, there will be a need for OS X for that.

Until our custom hardware control software (that talks to RS-485, RS-232, A/D, D/A, and digital I/O interfaces) can be painlessly ported from Delphi (along with its closed-source device drivers) to something on Linux, there will be a need for Winders machines at work.

MS Office file compatibility (especially PPT and PPTX) still isn't bullet-proof on Linux. Until it is, we have to use MS Office for work and that means Winders and OS X at home on some machines, too.

Linux is good for many things. But it can't do it all for us.

I have no interest in Win8, but expect it to eventually come pre-installed on new machines. The MS Tax will not go away for a while.

I appreciate the encouragement, but you're not going to win this argument with me anytime soon. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
     Windows 8 ... no longer... - (folkert) - (3)
         It isn't the interface that keeps people there. - (malraux) - (1)
             Well, since... - (folkert)
         I use many OSes. :-) - (Another Scott)

Nothing like the smell of Nadsat in the morning!
57 ms