IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Words fail me, again.
Richard Mourdock said:
even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen
I dunno where to begin with this.

http://www.salon.com...rdock_misogynist/
New Any more questions as to why I call my home state ...
the arsehole of the Universe? Still think it can't be as bad as I say? Watch the election results. If Mourdock doesn't win (and if you go by the number of yard signs in Indiana's second largest city - he should win by a landslide) it will be a lot closer than anyone would have guessed.

As I say to my daughters (both of whom had the misfortune of being born in the great state of Indiana), "Indiana is a great place to be from."
New Re: Any more questions as to why I call my home state ...
Its also a great place to ride your motorcycle through.

To bad Indianapolis is there. It could have been such a better city if only for a different state of it being in.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New If you have to live in Indiana, I suggest ...
the most northern counties. It's easier to escape to Michigan from there. ;0)
New And Mitt has not pulled his endorsement ad!
Emphasis Mine.
Rather awkwardly, presidential candidate Mitt Romney recorded this ad in support of Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock who said that a pregnancy resulting from a rape is “something that God intended.” The Romney campaign has condemned Mourdock’s statement but has not pulled its endorsement of the candidate.

http://www.salon.com..._pro_mourdock_ad/

Holy Crap. Why isn't Obama ahead by a bazillion percentage points?
New You really expect...
Common sense to prevail?

He is trying to appeal to the "Murican" sheeple and is doing well. Mainly playing the "do you really want Obama ("the black man") to rule you again?" card... even though he doesn't *say it*... he does imply it.

--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Devil's advocate time.
I haven't seen the transcript yet.

Mourdock seems to be saying the Republican party line. Why people are suddenly outraged is beyond me.

What really bothers me about the press coverage of this topic is the following:

1) I don't really care what a candidate's personal view of "when life begins" or their views on religion. If they personally genuinely believe that "life begins at conception" and so forth, then whether someone is raped really doesn't matter, does it?

2) I care a great deal about what they view as government's role in rules about "when life begins" or their view on religion.

Biden is a strong Catholic, but he knows that it's not government's role to impose his religious views on others. It used to be that this was the norm - religious beliefs and politics were separate.

Can Mourdock separate his personal views from his view on what government should do? I think not.

But that should be the issue - him wanting to impose his religious views on others. Not what his personal views about what is or isn't "God's will".

Until the argument is reframed, we're going to have these never-ending battles. :-(

(For completeness, I think Mourdock and his ilk would be a continuing disaster in elective office. I think abortion rights are important and must be protected. Abortion access needs to be expanded, not restricted. Human rights don't get more personal and more important than the case of reproductive rights.)

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Billboards I'm seeing around Cleveland
"Obama is in favor of gay marriage and abortion. Are you?"

I'd really like to paste over those two options with "religious freedom" and "women's rights".
--

Drew
New Uh, yes and yes.
Why do YOU hate my freedom?

^^ not you personally, obv.
New It is personal for me.
I hear what you are saying. But these "God in Man's Image" fans cannot separate their religion from their policies. And before you go tooting Joe Biden's horn too much, remember that he voted for a bill to overturn Roe. He has also consistently voted against federal funding of abortions and voted for the so-called Partial-Birth Abortion Bill. For the past 5 years it's been important to his ability to keep his nose in the public trough to "become" pro-Choice. He's apparently done so. But, make no mistake, this confirmed plagiarist will say and do anything to keep his nose in the public trough. It's the only way he knows to make a living. If he senses that in order to stay on the public payroll he needs to return to his staunch Catholic values with regard to contraception and abortion, don't blink or you'll miss seeing him switch sides.

I, unfortunately, have had very close relationships with women who have been sexually assaulted. Fortunately, in each case, they were able to take advantage of emergency contraception. Mourdock opposes contraception as well as the voluntary discharge of products of conception. If this son-of-a-bitch is elected, and worse, if that Ayn Rand dipshit grown-up version of Eddie Munster gets to be VP, their policies *will* affect people I know and love. This isn't an intellectual exercise for me.

New Understood, and agreed.
Thanks for the comments on Biden. When I said "I don't care about their personal beliefs" that was too strong. Very strongly religious people in politics make me nervous because it is so difficult to keep those views out of political policy. I've known many strongly religious people who were kind and empathetic and understood how fragile people are. But they're silent when it comes to politics.

Yes, Mourdock and his co-horts need to lose and need to never be in office again. If they win on Roe, they'll keep pushing the rest of their agenda. Contraception will be next. And they won't stop there, either.

Yes, these policies have real effects on real people. Funny how most of those pushing them are either the wrong gender, or past child-rearing age, isn't it...

Women need to understand what's at stake and vote accordingly. With luck, they'll save the rest of us.

Cheers,
Scott.
New On a lighter note.
"Have you noticed that most of the women who are against abortion are women you wouldn't fsck in the first place? There's such balance in nature."
--George Carlin.

Only he didn't use the work for file system check. ;0)
New Re: Words fail me, again.

U.S. Senate candidate Richard Mourdock (R-IN) refused to apologize for suggesting that pregnancies that result from rapes are a “gift from God,” during a press conference on Wednesday morning. Instead, he doubled down, claiming that while God would not condone rape, life that results from the violent act is a gift: “Life is precious, I believe it is a gift from God, I believe that God would never want anyone harmed, sexually abused, raped.”

http://thinkprogress...-a-gift-from-god/

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New The Sad Reality.
The truly sad thing is that he's even in this race. He will get a lot of votes and it will be a close election. I despise Indiana and cannot wait for my daughters to get through college. Because once they do, I am out of here. Permanently.
New As of 1:30 PM today, Fox has yet to mention it
http://thinkprogress...-a-gift-from-god/

Is anyone surprised by this revelation?

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New The GOP works for Fox News. Fox won't damage the brand.
New Fox finally mentions it
http://www.foxnews.c...senate-candidate/

Don't know the timestamp of the article, though we know it's later than 1:30 PM yesterday.

-- E.L. Doctorow
New And so does Stephen Colbert.
http://www.colbertna...ck-s-rape-comment
New :-)
New My letter to the Editor.
For over 25 years, the local paper has printed every letter I've ever submitted. Somehow, I think this might be the one that doesn't make it. :0)
Mourdock is Misunderstood.

At first I was completely disgusted with the comment Richard Mourdock made about pregnancies resulting from rape being what God intended. As the father of two daughters, I was furious at the callousness of that statement and even more angry that he continued to have support in his run for the US Senate from many of my fellow Hoosiers.

I realize now that if he is indeed a Christian then his statement is logical as well as heartfelt. Moreover, his continued support among many Hoosiers is equally logical as the majority of them also claim to be Christian. Christians are naturally somewhat ambivalent about rape. After all, the Christian God Himself raped a married woman in order to give us Jesus.

Viewed in this light, pro-rape Republicans are, at the very least, good, consistent Christians.

New Oooh. You're a brave man. :-)
New Re: My letter to the Editor.
If God is indeed all-knowing, he obviously meant for the rape to happen, so that makes it part of His Plan. Who are we to pass laws or otherwise question His Wisdom?
--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
New >Watch Your Back!< ie. do keep us *posted* next.
+5: Concise!

-3:Assuring personal survival in shark-infested temples. With guns.
[missing icon] Jesus with Personal Glock, smiling..
New As expected. Not selected for publication.
New Forwarded to multiple people
Thanks, a keeper.
New Khrishnamurti says--
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

New Re: Words fail me, again.
twitter win of the election
https://twitter.com/...66010321897005056
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Welcome back... ;-)
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New election is over, all my predictions were correct
except the senate got as little more democratic. President is re-elected and repos own the house. Best recipe for small government
glad to be back
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Da Box is in Da House! :-) Welcome back.
New Must ... not ... question ... faulty ... premise ...
--

Drew
New Hey box! Missed ya.
New Thought you'd thrown us under the bus, for..
some tarted-up Progressive-Reactionary cult-?-sorta ... My Gramma but-wrapped-in-bacon?

Welcome back!
New naw I only post to amuse myself
and I was not amused so took a break until after the election. Waiting for the local results to be certified so I can see how many write ins besides mine for Jill Stein
     Words fail me, again. - (pwhysall) - (33)
         Any more questions as to why I call my home state ... - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             Re: Any more questions as to why I call my home state ... - (folkert) - (1)
                 If you have to live in Indiana, I suggest ... - (mmoffitt)
         And Mitt has not pulled his endorsement ad! - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             You really expect... - (folkert)
         Devil's advocate time. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Billboards I'm seeing around Cleveland - (drook) - (1)
                 Uh, yes and yes. - (pwhysall)
             It is personal for me. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Understood, and agreed. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     On a lighter note. - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Words fail me, again. - (lincoln) - (1)
             The Sad Reality. - (mmoffitt)
         As of 1:30 PM today, Fox has yet to mention it - (lincoln) - (11)
             The GOP works for Fox News. Fox won't damage the brand. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Fox finally mentions it - (lincoln) - (9)
                 And so does Stephen Colbert. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 My letter to the Editor. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                     Oooh. You're a brave man. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Re: My letter to the Editor. - (rcsteiner)
                     >Watch Your Back!< ie. do keep us *posted* next. - (Ashton) - (1)
                         As expected. Not selected for publication. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Forwarded to multiple people - (crazy)
                     Khrishnamurti says-- - (Ashton)
         Re: Words fail me, again. - (boxley) - (7)
             Welcome back... ;-) -NT - (malraux) - (3)
                 election is over, all my predictions were correct - (boxley) - (2)
                     Da Box is in Da House! :-) Welcome back. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Must ... not ... question ... faulty ... premise ... -NT - (drook)
             Hey box! Missed ya. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Thought you'd thrown us under the bus, for.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 naw I only post to amuse myself - (boxley)

There are perhaps no more tragic creatures than middle-aged, middle-class tourists, unused to traveling in unfamiliar places, on a lifetime dream vacation.
277 ms