IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Client networking.
Actually, I suspect the proclivity of VPN client software to "hide" the rest of the LAN is more likely descended from assumptions made years ago that users-at-home have One (1) PC And It Connects Directly To The Internet. :-/

"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance."

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Close
This is not BAD (ie, Broken As Designed), this is really on purpose and with a bit of thought.

When you are on the VPN, it has the choice of handling all packets or just packets out a particular interface (physical or virtual). If it neglected to handle ALL packets, then it would allow the possibility for someone actively hacking into you WHILE you are connected to the corp LAN, which in turn would be the gateway into hacking the corp lan side.

So, instead they will turn off all possible packets except those that are routed through the VPN connection, and in some cases, route everything (including your internet traffic) for a pass through the VPN gateway and firewall, and then out THEIR internet connection, and back again. Adds a bit of lag.
New I... think that makes sense...
Y'know I might talk to the helpdesk about that, out of curiosity.

I can see a case for it to catch all non-local traffic (i.e. basically override the default gateway) which would leave the local LAN working. But I can see why it'd need to scotch incoming traffic that wants to return out the "normal" gateway (i.e. the real ISP link). Hmm.

(And I remembered exactly how I circumvented that with my remote desktop trick: I'd SSHed from the Win7 box to the Linux box, then I started the VPN, then I initiated an SSH tunnel between the Linux box here and the Linux box at work. :-)

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     I hate networking... - (Another Scott) - (11)
         Two things. - (static) - (6)
             1) I think you're right. 2) Thanks for the tip! -NT - (Another Scott)
             On VPNs and things - (scoenye) - (4)
                 Interesting. - (Another Scott)
                 Client networking. - (static) - (2)
                     Close - (crazy) - (1)
                         I... think that makes sense... - (static)
         Oh, and 64-bit Win7 Home doesn't have secpol.msc - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Workaround - (scoenye) - (2)
                 Ah. Excellent. Thanks very much. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Works. I can print to OSX from Win7 Home 64-bit. Thanks! -NT - (Another Scott)

Almost never.
49 ms