The Mini has Snow Leopard Server. I toyed with putting Lion and now Mountain Lion on it, but read things here and there that said various things were removed and other things broken, so I've not bothered. It sound like there are even more reasons not to "upgrade"...

I have figured there must be ways to get this stuff working in a more transparent and automated way, but I haven't taken the time to find out how. It's usually not a major issue for getting stuff done, it's just every few months I spend a few hours trying to get past some hurdle... :-(

I'm tempted to just buy a stand-alone networked PostScript printer to at least do away with that source of networking aggravation.

Thanks for the VPN info - I've wondered how it was "smart enough" to know what to encrypt and what to leave alone - I guess it doesn't bother to distinguish. It just shuts the unencrypted stuff off (unless the checkbox acts as you expect).

This does seem to me to be something that should have been resolved long ago. Of course people are going to want to use a printer while they're connected to their work machines! <sigh>

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who appreciates it can always be worse!)