IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How is it just as a reader/viewer?
My soon-to-be-12-year-old wants one for her birthday. She loves reading and really does want it mostly for that. Sure, she'll watch videos on it, but it's mostly about books.

Since she's not planning on programming, or websurfing -- check that, I'm not planning on her websurfing -- how does it fare just as a reader/viewer?

And for anybody who has compared them, are there other devices in the price range worth looking at?
--

Drew
New Just like the Kindle app on an iPad
Glossy screen, slightly bigger than a paperback. I'm reading LoTR to my son using it now and it's fine, easier to hold for long periods of time than the iPad. No oleophobic coating, however, so it gets crazy smeared with finger oils.

There's a $4 case that's worth getting too: http://www.amazon.co...31760_M2C_SC_dp_1

Nook has a tablet too, but I haven't looked at it. If I weren't tied to the Kindle store already and just wanted a reader, I'd get their backlit one that can be read in both bright sunlight and the dark.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Hated the early Nook color
That had a really funky form factor. Haven't looked at their latest.
--

Drew
New Re: Hated the early Nook color
You're probably better off with a Nexus7 at this point. $199 for the 8G version.

I am not horrendously impressed with this Fire for anything other than reading at this point.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Ooh, new and shiny
I'll find someplace to take a look once it ships.
--

Drew
     First impressions: Kindle Fire - (malraux) - (10)
         The browser sucks... - (malraux) - (1)
             Working as designed. - (Another Scott)
         I haven't played with a Fire... - (static) - (2)
             I'm using it for development - (malraux) - (1)
                 Ah... - (static)
         How is it just as a reader/viewer? - (drook) - (4)
             Just like the Kindle app on an iPad - (malraux) - (3)
                 Hated the early Nook color - (drook) - (2)
                     Re: Hated the early Nook color - (malraux) - (1)
                         Ooh, new and shiny - (drook)