IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's pronounced "iPad"
But it's spelled "S-U-R-F-A-C-E"... ;-)

https://www.youtube....ded&v=aSj8GUZDuac

Yes, MS had the original idea 10 years ago. Apple was the first to deliver on a usable iteration, and in a way that you know damn well MS didn't have in mind.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Again...
if I can put Linux on the "Surface"... I may just have found my replacement for my Hackintosh Dell Mini9.

Who knows if it will even really come out at any kind of a reasonable price.
New Why?
I assume you mean the Intel one, the one due after October.

Why is it appealing? The keyboard is almost guaranteed to be crap (it's too thin for a good feel). The screen strikes me as too small unless it's a very high resolution panel (something I doubt). AFAIK, nobody has said anything about the CPU to be used, RAM installed, video specs, battery life, etc. It's either going to be underpowered for decent battery life and low bill-of-materials, or a power hog that over-heats and is expensive, or both. ;-)

Why not an 11" MacBook Air right now? A refurbished one with 4GB of RAM can be had for $789 at Apple's on-line store. ($850 for an i5.)

Maybe instead save up for a 13" Retina MacBook Pro (supposedly also due in October). ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Why?
There are supposedly two keyboard types: a thin membrane one and a thicker one with more travel and clicky keys (probably more like an Apple keyboard at that point).

I keep saying this, but again: the Surface RT will not be competitive at the low end against the iPad and Kindle Fire. The Surface Pro will not be competitive at the high end against the ultrabooks and Air.

It's a weird machine, and I think the ultrabooks are better for people who want Windows or Linux on a thin/small form factor.

Here's another thought: the Surface probably won't balance well on a lap, like an ultrabook can.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New It sure looks like a niche product at the moment.
It'll be interesting to see what they finally release, but at the moment it looks like a loser to me (at both ends). They think people are going to be willing to pay $100 more because it's "Windows", and I think they're in for a surprise. At the low end, they'll be killed by Android. At the high end, it's a small niche that Apple owns. But we'll see.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Personally...
Having had 6 Macs now... (7 if you count the Hackintosh)

I have truly discovered I don't really like the OS on them. I tolerate it on the Dell Mini9, since it works better than Linux did on it, at the time.

Hardware, another issue all together, I like the hardware Apple makes. But getting Linux on them is a very tricky and keeping it on there is a serious challenge as well, especially if you Dual boot them. (OSX/Linux)

This Hackintosh is getting long in the tooth. I'm not un-happy with it, just that AJAX webpages drag...

As far as Airbooks or iPads... nope ain't gonna happen with me. To big of a format. I like the 9"-10" format with a keyboard.

Like the Dell Mini9 keyboard is AWESOME... it ain't... if I like the Dell Mini9, I can put up with the crappy keyboard on the "Surface"... Plus if I can get Linux on the damned thing and buy it for a reasonable price... even partially subsidized by M$... all the better.
New Ok.
If the Mini9 keyboard is Ok for you, then I guess the MS keyboard won't be a problem. I never could get used to the one on J's, what with the half-size keys on part of the board, etc. ;-)

I think the Archos 80 G9 Turbo is a nice size - smaller than an iPad, but big enough for tolerable screen space. I haven't used it a lot, but I like it. It runs ICS. Apparently one can use Bluetooth keyboards with these things (haven't tried it myself). You're not going to run Linux Mint on it, of course, but people have hacked Debian to run on some of them. http://liliputing.co...inux-android.html

Maybe Intel will get pissed off enough at MS to bring out their own tablet. Oh, they did, sorta - http://www.intel.com...rience-video.html

[edit:] Duh. Archos has an Intel/Winders tablet - http://www.archos.co...ountry=us&lang=en $500 list price.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott June 20, 2012, 11:27:01 PM EDT
     It's pronounced "iPad" - (malraux) - (6)
         Again... - (folkert) - (5)
             Why? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Re: Why? - (malraux) - (1)
                     It sure looks like a niche product at the moment. - (Another Scott)
                 Personally... - (folkert) - (1)
                     Ok. - (Another Scott)

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer.
51 ms