IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No.
Metro is nothing like previous iterations of touch Windows. Windows RT (i.e. the variant of Windows 8 that runs on ARM-based computers) doesn't have a desktop mode at all. All Metro, all the time. Win32 doesn't even exist on Windows RT.

If you've got a spare machine of reasonable spec, and there's Windows in your personal or professional future, I strongly recommend grabbing the release preview from Microsoft's site and installing it.

The times they are a-changin'.

My personal take?

Good! I was getting bored of the existing desktop paradigm.

Even if Metro turns out to be a big steaming pile, at least MS tried to move the game on.
New So... since W8 will be a steaming pile...
And Since you are bored with current iterations, what *DO* you want in a new "desktop" paradigm now?
New It's all about bridging the touch/point divide
In order get to get over the "two devices" problem.

I'm running W8 right now. It's not awful, by any stretch of the imagination.

The new Explorer is a great improvement. I like the new Start screen, too.

But then, I like Metro, a lot.
New Re: Win32 (actually it is still there)
The desktop is still there in Windows 8 RT. And presumably Win32 is still there as well, though only so MS can run the standard desktop stuff like Windows Explorer and the cut down version of Office (which will not be a Metro app). 3rd parties don't have access to Win32 on RT however..
     Digitimes: 7-inch Google/Asus tablet coming soon. $199. - (Another Scott) - (16)
         Surface... - (malraux) - (12)
             It has one real chance in the enterprise, AFAICT: - (pwhysall) - (11)
                 Isn't it really just PenWindows v. 4 or something? - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     No. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         So... since W8 will be a steaming pile... - (folkert) - (1)
                             It's all about bridging the touch/point divide - (pwhysall)
                         Re: Win32 (actually it is still there) - (altmann)
                     You may have already seen a Fujitsu tablet. - (static) - (4)
                         UPS (and probably FedEx) have similar things here. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             It was the only example I could think of. - (static) - (2)
                                 you mean like here? /me flees - (boxley) - (1)
                                     :-D Yes. -NT - (static)
                 Office 2007 on your Apple iPad or Android tablet - (lincoln)
         Re: Digitimes: 7-inch Google/Asus tablet coming soon. $199. - (Bman) - (1)
             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Rumored specs. - (Another Scott)

He clearly said, "To blave".
45 ms