IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sorry to hear about your brother...
...If I had not been wearing a bike helmet last Saturday, it's entirely possible that I would not be here to talk to you (or host this site anymore) today.

I was on a training ride for the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure (for which I am the Vice Chairman this year), and my rear tire slipped out from under me on a wet wooden bridge while I was going along at about 17 mph. I landed on my shoulder, my hip, and my head, in that order. My head slammed the ground pretty damn hard, and I would have AT LEAST ended up with a fractured skull, if not worse.

As it is, I have a broken left thumb and a sprained right shoulder.

I've been riding pretty hard for 12 years and over 6000 miles. This is the first major accident I've had. While I've never before had a personal story to tell about wearing bike helmets, I have always done so. Now I do, and I will (of course) continue wearing the new one I'll purchase once the thumb/shoulder heal.

Sorry about your brother. Seems pretty senseless to not wear a helmet. :(
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Well, he was always more than a little accident prone . . .
. . but thanks for the sentiment.

It was a "door zone" accident, at night, at high speed downhill, reportedly DUI. He never regained consciousness.
New ! Heal quickly.
As a teenager just out of high school I was riding a borrowed old 10-speed racer home from a summer job when I got caught in a downpour. The brakes were useless (chrome steel rims) and I had to turn after going down a small hill. The front wheel caught something and the bike slid out from under me. I was just a little banged up (mostly scraped up pants) - I didn't hit anything but the road. But it made me appreciate how quickly things can go very badly wrong on two wheels.

I'm sorry you were injured, but glad it wasn't worse! Heal quickly!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: ! Heal quickly.
http://www.mikevital...ges/m002-4978.png
http://www.mikevital...ges/m003-4979.png

Those are the X-Rays of my left thumb, broken right at the base near the wrist.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Gnarly. :-(
     Is that even legal? - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
         define regular - (boxley) - (7)
             Nope, regular. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Sorry to hear about your brother... - (mvitale) - (4)
                     Well, he was always more than a little accident prone . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     ! Heal quickly. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Re: ! Heal quickly. - (mvitale) - (1)
                             Gnarly. :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: Is that even legal? - (mvitale)
         Note on the silly suits: - (malraux) - (3)
             Yeah, I hear those contrapeions are . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Which contraptions? - (mvitale) - (1)
                     The "contraptions" are the bikes, of course. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

Unless they wink.
57 ms