IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So why aint I(we) rich?
[link|http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_568176.html?menu=news.latestheadlines|link]
Drinkers are liable to make more. Probably the same reason whiskey was invented to keep the Irish from running the world. Think how much more might be accomplished if the people in the study didnt drink?
thanx,
Bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Because "they" won't give us the money
Get it? I We They? As in ... oh forget it. I thought it was funny.
===
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
New So the beer swilling unemployed trailer trash myth is....
just a myth?

:)

Can you say "data scatter"?
New I once knew an alcoholic who made good money.
Not that he took much of it home with him.

He had, by means of connections, landed a cushy job in a major high tech monopoly. He'd cash in every stock option and spend it on booze and bimbos. He had a Corvette and a Camaro. His wife and kids were in rags, and subsisted on peanut butter sandwiches, until the wife hauled him into court and got part of his paycheck redirected to her.

Eventually he drank and smoked himself to death. He never saw his 60th birthday. He didn't leave much of an estate. There were no lasting accomplishments of any positive sort. Everything he still owned was in a state of decrepitude. He lived only for himself, and when himself was gone, there was nothing left to mark the fact that he had ever lived, short of a few bitter relatives who would have preferred he hadn't. There was only one sincere mourner at the funeral, a person of transitional gender who had once been his drinking buddy, back before the hormone shots.

Oh, and the monopoly from which he benefitted no longer exists. Eroded to nothing by antitrust action.

Whenever I try to imagine the sort of people that work for Microsoft, I keep seeing this guy.

But this guy was something of an exception. Most of the alcoholics I've known, and I've known a lot of them, don't manage to land such cushy jobs. They drink themselves to death, but it's the cheaper stuff.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
New Smilin' Corpse
(* landed a cushy job in a major high tech monopoly. He'd cash in every stock option and spend it on booze and bimbos. He had a Corvette and a Camaro. His wife and kids were in rags, and subsisted on peanut butter sandwiches.......He lived only for himself, and when himself was gone, there was nothing left to mark the fact that he had ever lived *)

Sounds like he had a great time as was probably a smilin' corpse.

What is wrong with peanut butter sandwiches anyhow? If they had more money, they would probably buy red meat instead.

(Hmmmm. I wonder if my wife and kids will think, "He was a deadbeat who spent all his time trolling anti-OO propoganda and trying to sell TOP and SCGUI to the world who didn't give a fudge. Watta loozer!" Oh well. We can't all be statue-worthy.)

[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
New People who make more can buy more?
Oh, sure, I suppose those less-well off can buy twelve-packs of Busch beer, but given a choice of Busch beer and no beer, I'd take no beer any day. Someone who makes more can buy premium beers, single-malt scotch, better whiskeys, etc.?

In other words, perhaps increased income results in more alcohol rather than the other way around.
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New I would agree
I drink more than I did in grad school.

In grad school I would look at the cost of buying beer, and that was a disincentive. Now if I am in a restaurant, I don't even worry about how much they are charging for a drink.

Mind you I don't drink very much, but I hit my 2 drink comfort zone more often, with better tasting stuff.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Yah, same here
Nowdays, I don't give a second thought about having a drink with dinner at Chi-Chi's or Applebees or Hooters or wherever. Once upon a time, I'd never think of a beer or a marguerita; I'd always have water or iced tea (free refills, y'know.)
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New Non-Drinkers don't make that much either
it seems the ones that smooze with the bosses at Happy Hour after work are the ones that get promotoed. Us Non-Drinkers don't go out and booze it up with the bosses after work. I went, and only drank soda and water, and got made fun of, and didn't go back after that.

In this Plutocracy, they don't want us getting rich so they crush us in ways we don't know or maybe we do? That is why 3 out of 4 small businesses fail. Wal*Mart crushes Mom and Pop stores, etc. The system is set up against us making any serious money. Or any self made millionares here want to tell me differently?

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New I'm no millionaire, but then I started from way down there.
I've fought my way up into the middle class, and I've noticed a few things along the way. One thing I've noticed is that nearly everyone is looking out for himself, and perfectly willing to screw over the other guy in order to get ahead. The rich are just better at it.

A few manage to get ahead with integrity, few only because there are few that have integrity to begin with. But no one manages to get ahead with illusions. Bitterness doesn't help either. Just accept the fact that life is unfair, as a stipulation of the problem. Then solve the problem as it is posed to you. Evil always has blind spots. Seek to outsmart the system. And always watch your back.
     So why aint I(we) rich? - (boxley) - (10)
         Because "they" won't give us the money - (drewk)
         So the beer swilling unemployed trailer trash myth is.... - (Brandioch)
         I once knew an alcoholic who made good money. - (marlowe) - (2)
             Smilin' Corpse - (tablizer) - (1)
                 Die young and leave a smirking corpse. - (marlowe)
         People who make more can buy more? - (wharris2) - (2)
             I would agree - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Yah, same here - (wharris2)
         Non-Drinkers don't make that much either - (orion) - (1)
             I'm no millionaire, but then I started from way down there. - (marlowe)

An experiment in Boredom Control run by the Illuminati.
52 ms