IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Laptop for educational purposes
My nephew is graduating high school this year, and moving on to college. His intention is to take a double major Computer Science and Mathematics. To prepare for this (and as a reward for making valedictorian), my sister wants to get him a laptop. She's asked what would be the best choice. With the growing popularity of Linux in colleges, I'd like to be able to suggest a laptop that is compatible in case he should need to upgrade from Windows. I know the Compaq Presario (AMD version) that I have will run Linux, but the Modem, Network card, and USB port didn't work.

What is the best choice of laptops for potentially running linux. Also since he's a bit of a pianist, do any have MIDI capability? (probably not, but thought I'd ask)
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New Which one did the MSNBC Lycoris review use?
It was a Compaq Somethingorother, and the review said Lycoris detected everything without drama. Of course since I'm biased I'd recommend an iBook and damn the consequences - it's already an upgrade from Windows :-)

On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Re: Which one did the MSNBC Lycoris review use?
My work laptop is a Compaq Armada E500. Runs Linux(I've had 4 different distros on it) just fine, with all hardware, although I did have to get the Lucent winmodem driver from linmodems.org. I *think* there's a game/midi port on the docking station, but I'll have to check that out tomorrow. It does have USB, PS2, Parallel, serial, and VGA ports on the back though, and built in 10/100 NIC and modem on the side.

It's a pretty decent machine, actually. I'm not a Compaq fan by any means, but this has been a good, reliable machine thus far (about 18 months of service).

Currently, it's SuSE 7.3/Win2K dual boot. And, I've not even RRR'd doze since the 2K install. (Came with ME, ran it for a week, wiped and installed 2K, installed XP a short time later, ran it for a month and went back to 2K).

-----
Steve
New Thinkpad
IBM's big behind Linux - plus the Thinkpad has 3 mouse buttons, major plus for X :-)

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New 2nd vote for IBM or Compaq Armada
Have worked with both and both are very good with linux.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     Laptop for educational purposes - (Steven A S) - (4)
         Which one did the MSNBC Lycoris review use? - (Meerkat) - (1)
             Re: Which one did the MSNBC Lycoris review use? - (Steve Lowe)
         Thinkpad - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             2nd vote for IBM or Compaq Armada - (bepatient)

We're talking "filled with angry bees" levels of agony.
40 ms