IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Did I defend our implementation in my post?
Hardly a diatribe, and hardly "better than you". Just explaining how, from my perspective, one possible line of reasoning about we've got to where we are, and why.

You keep bringing up things that happen in private places.

There is simply no privacy debate to be had if you're discussing what a supermarket chooses to do within the confines of its property, where you are present at the sufference of the company. Sure, I'd rather they didn't do it. But at the end of the day, they have the right to safeguard their stock (and razorblades are an incredibly popular target for shoplifters, due to the ease of disposal, high value, and small size) just as I have the right to shop elsewhere if that offends me.

In public, whilst it is polite to ask someone before taking their picture, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to this courtesy. The police and others have fallen foul of this a number of times whilst trying to prevent amateur photographers from taking pictures.

A common misconception is that a place accessible to the public, like a supermarket, is the same in law as a public place, like the street.

It's not, and rightly so.
New So, you're opposed to the law under consideration then?
From the previously mentioned link...
SAN FRANCISCO — Europe is considering a sweeping new law that would force Internet companies like Amazon.com and Facebook to obtain explicit consent from consumers about the use of their personal data, delete that data forever at the consumer’s request and face fines for failing to comply.

You have to be opposed to this, right?
New Nope
I think it's a valuable clarification of the relationship between the customer and the vendor with regard to personal data.

Why would I be opposed to that?
New There it is.
Allow me to paraphrase you and illustrate the inconsistency I perceive.

"There is simply no privacy debate to be had if you're discussing what a web site chooses to do within the confines of your use of one of their sessions, where you are virtually present at the sufference of the company that created the web site."

"While visiting a public web site, it would be polite to ask someone before tracking their clicks, purchases and comments, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to this courtesy."

"They have the right to safeguard their content and aggregate information that you willingly provide, just as I have the right to shop online elsewhere if that offends me."

;0)

New If you say so.
You're conflating two different things.

And anyway, Emerson.
New Not really, but as you say, it doesn't matter.
     I knew it. - (pwhysall) - (17)
         Don't worry - (crazy) - (4)
             We can only hope - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 Until he buys that too -NT - (crazy) - (2)
                     No, it's too left-wing - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Have you seen.... - (folkert)
         I've always found this curious. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
             Re: I've always found this curious. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                 Did I defend our implementation in my post? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                     Re: Did I defend our implementation in my post? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                         So, you're opposed to the law under consideration then? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 There it is. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     If you say so. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         Not really, but as you say, it doesn't matter. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             simple difference - (boxley) - (2)
                 not true - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     And don't for get the USA PATRIOT Act. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Come sweet slumber, enshroud me in thy purple cloak.
96 ms