IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've always found this curious.
On the one hand, any member of your Conservative Party would be branded a Communist in this country (the US). You hold our tech corporations to much higher standards with respect to unfair business practices and privacy issues. Yet, you apparently don't value a right to free speech as much as we do (http://articles.cnn....fans?_s=PM:EUROPE). You also seem untroubled by cameras photographing everywhere you go and everything you do (http://news.bbc.co.u..._news/6108496.stm 1 camera for every 14 people as early as 2006? WTF?).
New Re: I've always found this curious.
And yet we can have sex with whom we like in whatever orifice we like, and atheists don't get identified as non-citizens by the bloke in the top job.

See, the 1st amendment is all well and good, but it's regularly and comprehensively trampled on. In practical terms, speech is just as free over here. To take your example, remember that a football match takes place on private property, and one of the terms and conditions of the ticket is that you do not indulge in certain behaviours*; in addition to that, you'll notice that people indulging in those behaviours are charged not with thought-crime, but with public order offences.

CCTV? Who gives a fuck? You're in public. You have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Whilst it'd be nicer if the cameras weren't there, I'm not aware of any specific instances where a (usually shit and blurry) CCTV image has been used to foist foul play on an innocent person. There are lots of CCTV cameras in the USA, too.

I guess it depends on what you value. In the UK, we (still, despite the bleating of the Daily Hitler Mail and its readers) place a good deal of value on an ill-defined notion of "fairness", which is why, for example, all but the most rabidly market-oriented UKians will defend the NHS to the death, warts and all. I couldn't tell you what the definition of "fairness" is, but, as the old saw goes, I know it when I see it.

The Constitution, as laudable as it and its amendments are, is only as valuable as the establishment's willingness to respect it. It seems a week doesn't go by when I don't read a story about how this constitutional right or another doesn't get cast to the four winds, usually in the name of "security".

In all honesty, I'm much, much more concerned right now about ill-conceived and hastily-implemented economic policies resulting in severely disabled people getting the royal shaft, and the fact that our Chancellor has got his austerity goggles set to Maximum.

We've been twiddling with our system of law and government for the thick end of a thousand years; most of the time it works well enough - although that's not to say there's room for improvement (which would, if I were Evil Overlord, take the form of rescinding vast swathes of legislation, and draconian constraints on the commercial activities of elected representatives, for starters).

* Look at section 6.1 here: http://www.liverpool...kets/ticket-terms
New Did I defend our implementation in my post?
No, I didn't. But thanks for the "at least we're better than you" diatribe. But you've done little to explain the mixed messages from your little island.
CCTV? Who gives a fuck? You're in public. You have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Whilst it'd be nicer if the cameras weren't there, I'm not aware of any specific instances where a (usually shit and blurry) CCTV image has been used to foist foul play on an innocent person.

"Foul play" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Perhaps the most controversial use of RFID to date in the UK was in 2003 when an RFID tracking system was used in the packaging of Gillette Mach3 razor blades to stop shoplifting at one of Tesco's Cambridge branches. Anyone picking up a packet of the blades triggered CCTV surveillance of themselves in the store.

http://news.bbc.co.u..._news/6110866.stm

Again, this is 2006 we're talking about. It can't but have gotten worse since then. But, that's not what surprises me. If I understand what you've written, it appears that from your POV, any recording of any of your activities by the state or private parties is "just ducky" with you unless you are in your home with the window curtains closed. That's a little much for me. For instance, I don't want anyone taking my picture without asking. Certainly not for doing something as innocuous as picking up a pack of damned razor blades. Please understand, I'm not saying my view is right and yours is wrong. All I am saying is that the attitudes regarding personal liberty and privacy seem to be inconsistent in your country. Here, for me at least, concerns over personal liberty and privacy seem almost non-existent. But it is difficult for me to reconcile this http://www.nytimes.c...ml?pagewanted=all with the attitude that it is not a problem to be tracked full time in public.
New Re: Did I defend our implementation in my post?
Hardly a diatribe, and hardly "better than you". Just explaining how, from my perspective, one possible line of reasoning about we've got to where we are, and why.

You keep bringing up things that happen in private places.

There is simply no privacy debate to be had if you're discussing what a supermarket chooses to do within the confines of its property, where you are present at the sufference of the company. Sure, I'd rather they didn't do it. But at the end of the day, they have the right to safeguard their stock (and razorblades are an incredibly popular target for shoplifters, due to the ease of disposal, high value, and small size) just as I have the right to shop elsewhere if that offends me.

In public, whilst it is polite to ask someone before taking their picture, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to this courtesy. The police and others have fallen foul of this a number of times whilst trying to prevent amateur photographers from taking pictures.

A common misconception is that a place accessible to the public, like a supermarket, is the same in law as a public place, like the street.

It's not, and rightly so.
New So, you're opposed to the law under consideration then?
From the previously mentioned link...
SAN FRANCISCO — Europe is considering a sweeping new law that would force Internet companies like Amazon.com and Facebook to obtain explicit consent from consumers about the use of their personal data, delete that data forever at the consumer’s request and face fines for failing to comply.

You have to be opposed to this, right?
New Nope
I think it's a valuable clarification of the relationship between the customer and the vendor with regard to personal data.

Why would I be opposed to that?
New There it is.
Allow me to paraphrase you and illustrate the inconsistency I perceive.

"There is simply no privacy debate to be had if you're discussing what a web site chooses to do within the confines of your use of one of their sessions, where you are virtually present at the sufference of the company that created the web site."

"While visiting a public web site, it would be polite to ask someone before tracking their clicks, purchases and comments, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to this courtesy."

"They have the right to safeguard their content and aggregate information that you willingly provide, just as I have the right to shop online elsewhere if that offends me."

;0)

New If you say so.
You're conflating two different things.

And anyway, Emerson.
New Not really, but as you say, it doesn't matter.
New simple difference
we would hang by the gonads on gibbets any politician who dare tread on our rights but willingly and gleefully hand all of our privacy to business entities. As usual the Brits have it backwards
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New not true
the TSA is still grabbing peoples gonads in blatant violation of our Bill of Rights. Haven't seen any political fallout yet.
New And don't for get the USA PATRIOT Act.
     I knew it. - (pwhysall) - (17)
         Don't worry - (crazy) - (4)
             We can only hope - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 Until he buys that too -NT - (crazy) - (2)
                     No, it's too left-wing - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Have you seen.... - (folkert)
         I've always found this curious. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
             Re: I've always found this curious. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                 Did I defend our implementation in my post? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                     Re: Did I defend our implementation in my post? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                         So, you're opposed to the law under consideration then? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 There it is. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     If you say so. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         Not really, but as you say, it doesn't matter. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             simple difference - (boxley) - (2)
                 not true - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     And don't for get the USA PATRIOT Act. -NT - (mmoffitt)

The only reason the bongos are the worst is because AIs have never tried chicken nuggets before.
95 ms