IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Charlotte, NC.
[link|http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/|Charlotte], a city of about half a million people, is a place you could consider. In the paper today it was mentioned that 8 companies in the Fortune 500 are headquartered here. They are Duke Energy, Bank of America, Wachovia Corp (merger of First Union and Wachovia banks), Sonic Automotive, Goodrich Corp. Nucor Corp. SPX Corp. Family Dollar. Only the first four and Family Dollar have over 1000 employees here. And, of course, we have Microsoft's number 2 location. IBM is here as well.

Job prospects are mediocre, but better than they were last year. Bank consolidations have put a lot of professionals on the street. And, banks are cheap SoBs, anyway. Use the link above to get some flavor for the place as well as job possibilities.

The climate is OK. You get the 4 seasons, with a mild winter (i.e. 1 or 2 snows a year, which melts in a day or two). No one fights the snow. July and August are on the hot side and best spent indoors, at the coastal beaches (3 to 4 hrs away), or in the mountains (2 to 3 hrs away).

The city is about 1/3 black with most blacks living on the West side of the city. It's more of an income-based separation than anything else. Charlotte, being a US South East regional center for many companies (other choice being Atlanta) has many internationals as well. Many German, British, Japanese companies have operations here. There are immigrants from all over. There is an International House here to help newcomers connect and locals to expand their world and practice a foreign language. There are sizeable Jewish, Greek, Vietnamese and Mexican communities here. Having a unique non-WASP East European last name, I can tell you being a minority is not a problem here.

Over all, the schools are average, but much better than the surrounding areas. I have not been keeping track because my kids have grown up some time ago. At the time they were in the local public schools, there was an "advanced" set of classes in the major classes (i.e. English, Math, Science) for the top 5-10% of the students and that program was excellent.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer to put you up. My adult son, who after 11+ years in Germany, has come back to the US and is in the process of finding suitable work, occupies the usually spare bedroom. I cannot say job hunting been the highest priority for him. He is an experienced Electrical Engineer and has been here since the end of November.

However, I would be glad to help with any questions and meet you at the airport and chauffeur you around, or anything of that nature.
Alex

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." -- Neils Bohr (1885-1962)
New Or the RTP NC was very kind to my wife and I
One of the things she missed was the lack of prejuidice compared to Alaska. In Charlotte you are close to a large theme park for coasters and appalachia is close by. Pro wrestling Indies are great cheap entertainment, not to mention Nascar.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
     I'm thinking about moving. - (inthane-chan) - (17)
         Texas has a significant Asian population - (lincoln)
         Why not Texas? - (SpiceWare)
         If you think you can learn Finnish... - (CRConrad)
         Cincinnati has a fair business climate - (wharris2)
         How far afield are you willing to go? - (static) - (2)
             Oh, so *American* immigrants are OK, mr Christian Charity? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Well... - (static)
         Denver...maybe? - (Steve Lowe)
         What about up north? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             No real suggestions here... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 My error. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Well I *am* a Canuck - (ben_tilly)
         What is it you are moving away from? - (Silverlock) - (2)
             Moving away from unemployment. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Chicago is one of the best for jobs. - (Silverlock)
         Re: Charlotte, NC. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Or the RTP NC was very kind to my wife and I - (boxley)

The Birth of the Authority Figure.
42 ms