IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Virginia AG Cuccinelli throws himself in the mix.
http://www.bluevirgi...rginia-ags-office

Not that this is a big surprise or anything, but Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli is ending another year as AG just as he's behaved his entire term in office: in a hyper-political and ultra-partisan manner that has been, and continues to be, a disgrace to his office.

In the current case, Cuccinelli has inserted himself into an intra-Republican-party dispute (over access to the Republican presidential primary ballot here in the Commonwealth), one that he certainly has a right to have an opinion on as a private citizen, but also that he would be wise - if wisdom were one of his virtues, which it clearly is not - to keep a low profile on, at least in his role as AG.

I also find it fascinating and ironic that all of a sudden this staunch "conservative" has become a big fan of an activist judiciary, and/or of a legislature telling the state party how to run its own affairs. On this topic, even as the AG's office works to defend Virginia in court, the AG himself keeps talking and talking about it, expressing his view "our system is deficient" (he suddenly came to this realization a few days ago, apparently), that "Virginia owes her citizens a better process," and that "We can do it in time for the March primary if we resolve to do so quickly."

Of course, it might just be poor political judgment on Cuccinelli's part to mouth off on a subject that he's in the middle of litigating, but that in and of itself does not appear to be a legal problem. It is, however, another kind of problem, insofar as Cuccinelli's supposed to be acting professionally, in his capacity as the Attorney General of Virginia, but is simultaneously demonstrating (yet again) that he's far too partisan to effectively do that very thing.

[...]

UPDATE #2: Doug Mataconis explains why what Cuccinelli wants to do here is almost certainly not going to work.

In order for a law to become effective immediately upon signature by the Governor, it would have to be passed by supermajorities in both houses of General Assembly, not just any supermajority, but a 4/5ths supermajority...the State Board of Elections has already said that the ballots for the March 6th primary will be printed by January 9th, two days before the legislature convenes. Additionally, as a matter of law, absentee and military ballots must be ready to be mailed no later than January 21, 2012, ten days after the legislature convenes. Absent what would essentially amounts to unanimous consent, as well as an agreement to skip the normal committee process, it would be next to impossible for the legislature to pass a law and the Governor to sign it in time for the SBOE to be able to do the job it is required to do under the law.

Either Ken Cuccinelli doesn't know any of this, in which case he's incompetent, or he knows it full well and is simply posturing politically. My guess is the latter, but I certainly wouldn't rule out the former.

Not a surprise, but another indication that he has no business being in that position. Of course, he's running for governor now.... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New does the commonwealth provide funds to these primaries?
If so it is the business of the state to see that the wealth is distributed fairly if not who gives a rats ass? Guilt by association is covered by the constitution
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New As I understand it, the primaries are the parties' business.
It looks like the counties, cities, and towns pay the cost of elections - not the state. http://leg1.state.va...?000+cod+24.2-600

I dunno enough about the law to have a legal opinion though. The statutes start here - http://leg1.state.va...00006000000000000 but I'm not even sure if Primaries are under that section.

IANAL, of course.

Cheers,
Scott.
New And today he backs off.
He's such a clown. Perhaps voters will pay more attention next time. :-(

http://thecaucus.blo...-ballot-proposal/

[...]

But Mr. Cuccinelli said in a statement a day later that he had concluded there was no way to make a new system fair to candidates like Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, both of whom managed to qualify for the ballot under the existing rules.

“My intentions have never focused on which candidates would be benefited or harmed,” Mr. Cuccinelli said in a statement released by his office. “While I will vigorously support efforts to reduce the hurdles to ballot access in Virginia for all candidates, I will not support efforts to apply such changes to the 2012 Presidential election.”

Cheers,
Scott.
     Virgina ballot rules frustrate Republicans - (jay) - (11)
         GMTA. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         I thought only Democrats committed voter fraud - (lincoln) - (2)
             He hired democrats to get the sigs -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 couldn't get anybody to check the picture IDs? -NT - (lincoln)
         Virginia AG Cuccinelli throws himself in the mix. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             does the commonwealth provide funds to these primaries? - (boxley) - (1)
                 As I understand it, the primaries are the parties' business. - (Another Scott)
             And today he backs off. - (Another Scott)
         Federal court rejects effort to intervene. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Interesting, no states rights arguments -NT - (boxley)
             Unusually clear ruling. - (static)

I'm sure I've heard those last 3 lines in an unsavoury movie.
144 ms