IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Virgina ballot rules frustrate Republicans
http://politicaltick...-virginia-ballot/
"We hired somebody who turned in false signatures. We turned in 11,100 – we needed 10,000 – 1,500 of them were by one guy who frankly committed fraud."

Gingrich's goal of 12,000 - 14,000 is actually normal for these things, 10%-20% of the registrations are going to be rejected for being fake, unclear or other problems. I would guess that Gingrich's blaming on one guy committing fraud is just trying to shift blame for his own poor planning, but it is possible.

He isn't the only one though. Mitt Romney and Ron Paul are the only candidates who actually made it on the ballot.

Jay
New GMTA. ;-)
New I thought only Democrats committed voter fraud
since the Republicans call voter registration fraud "voter fraud".

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New He hired democrats to get the sigs
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New couldn't get anybody to check the picture IDs?

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Virginia AG Cuccinelli throws himself in the mix.
http://www.bluevirgi...rginia-ags-office

Not that this is a big surprise or anything, but Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli is ending another year as AG just as he's behaved his entire term in office: in a hyper-political and ultra-partisan manner that has been, and continues to be, a disgrace to his office.

In the current case, Cuccinelli has inserted himself into an intra-Republican-party dispute (over access to the Republican presidential primary ballot here in the Commonwealth), one that he certainly has a right to have an opinion on as a private citizen, but also that he would be wise - if wisdom were one of his virtues, which it clearly is not - to keep a low profile on, at least in his role as AG.

I also find it fascinating and ironic that all of a sudden this staunch "conservative" has become a big fan of an activist judiciary, and/or of a legislature telling the state party how to run its own affairs. On this topic, even as the AG's office works to defend Virginia in court, the AG himself keeps talking and talking about it, expressing his view "our system is deficient" (he suddenly came to this realization a few days ago, apparently), that "Virginia owes her citizens a better process," and that "We can do it in time for the March primary if we resolve to do so quickly."

Of course, it might just be poor political judgment on Cuccinelli's part to mouth off on a subject that he's in the middle of litigating, but that in and of itself does not appear to be a legal problem. It is, however, another kind of problem, insofar as Cuccinelli's supposed to be acting professionally, in his capacity as the Attorney General of Virginia, but is simultaneously demonstrating (yet again) that he's far too partisan to effectively do that very thing.

[...]

UPDATE #2: Doug Mataconis explains why what Cuccinelli wants to do here is almost certainly not going to work.

In order for a law to become effective immediately upon signature by the Governor, it would have to be passed by supermajorities in both houses of General Assembly, not just any supermajority, but a 4/5ths supermajority...the State Board of Elections has already said that the ballots for the March 6th primary will be printed by January 9th, two days before the legislature convenes. Additionally, as a matter of law, absentee and military ballots must be ready to be mailed no later than January 21, 2012, ten days after the legislature convenes. Absent what would essentially amounts to unanimous consent, as well as an agreement to skip the normal committee process, it would be next to impossible for the legislature to pass a law and the Governor to sign it in time for the SBOE to be able to do the job it is required to do under the law.

Either Ken Cuccinelli doesn't know any of this, in which case he's incompetent, or he knows it full well and is simply posturing politically. My guess is the latter, but I certainly wouldn't rule out the former.

Not a surprise, but another indication that he has no business being in that position. Of course, he's running for governor now.... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New does the commonwealth provide funds to these primaries?
If so it is the business of the state to see that the wealth is distributed fairly if not who gives a rats ass? Guilt by association is covered by the constitution
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New As I understand it, the primaries are the parties' business.
It looks like the counties, cities, and towns pay the cost of elections - not the state. http://leg1.state.va...?000+cod+24.2-600

I dunno enough about the law to have a legal opinion though. The statutes start here - http://leg1.state.va...00006000000000000 but I'm not even sure if Primaries are under that section.

IANAL, of course.

Cheers,
Scott.
New And today he backs off.
He's such a clown. Perhaps voters will pay more attention next time. :-(

http://thecaucus.blo...-ballot-proposal/

[...]

But Mr. Cuccinelli said in a statement a day later that he had concluded there was no way to make a new system fair to candidates like Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, both of whom managed to qualify for the ballot under the existing rules.

“My intentions have never focused on which candidates would be benefited or harmed,” Mr. Cuccinelli said in a statement released by his office. “While I will vigorously support efforts to reduce the hurdles to ballot access in Virginia for all candidates, I will not support efforts to apply such changes to the 2012 Presidential election.”

Cheers,
Scott.
New Federal court rejects effort to intervene.
http://www.bluevirgi...with-a-wet-noodle

So, as you probably know by now, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia has rejected the attempts of four Republican't candidates - Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Jon Huntsman, and Rick Santorum - to use liberal judicial activism sue to get their way on the Virginia Republican't primary ballot. That's not surprising, but the reasoning of the court is interesting. Click here for the complete ruling. A few key points:

1. The plaintiffs definitely have legal standing to sue, so the case is fine on that ground.
2. According to the court, Virginia's residency requirement for petition gatherers is likely to be declared unconstitutional, so the plaintiffs are on strong ground there.
3. The 10,000-signature requirement is found not to be a legal problem. According to the court, "No one can seriously argue that the rule is unduly burdensome." The plaintiffs would fail on that argument.
4. The court definitely finds that the plaintiffs will suffer irreparable harm from not being able to appear on Virginia's Republican primary ballot.
5. The public interest "weighs heavily in favor of the plaintiffs," as voters should have the "ability to cast a ballot for the candidate of her choice."
6. However, despite several strong arguments for the plaintiffs, their case was thrown out. Why? Because of something I'd never heard of previously: the "equitable doctrine of laches." This doctrine holds that if a plaintiff has "slept on its rights" by waiting too long to seek relief. As the court writes:

The plaintiffs could have challenged the Virginia law [many months ago]. Instead, they waited until after the time to gather petitions had ended and they had lost the political battle to be on the ballot; then, on the eve of the printing of absentee ballots, they decided to challenge Virginia's laws. In essence, they played the game, lost, and then complained that the rules were unfair.

In other words: Perry, Gingrich, Hunstman and Santorum are sore losers, emphasis on the word "losers." They failed to get on the ballot, then suddenly decided Virginia's rules were unfair, then came crying for some judicial activism (which they usually decry) on their behalf. For all of that heaping bowl of FAIL, according to the court, Perry/Gingrich/et al. deserve 50 "laches" with a wet noodle. Actually, the court didn't say that, but I thought it was a fun play on words, so what the heck. :)

A good ruling, and an entertaining report. :-)

That said, there are some weird things about Virginia's ballot access rules that need to be changed. http://www.sbe.virgi...imaryBulletin.pdf (4 page .pdf)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting, no states rights arguments
New Unusually clear ruling.

Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
     Virgina ballot rules frustrate Republicans - (jay) - (11)
         GMTA. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         I thought only Democrats committed voter fraud - (lincoln) - (2)
             He hired democrats to get the sigs -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 couldn't get anybody to check the picture IDs? -NT - (lincoln)
         Virginia AG Cuccinelli throws himself in the mix. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             does the commonwealth provide funds to these primaries? - (boxley) - (1)
                 As I understand it, the primaries are the parties' business. - (Another Scott)
             And today he backs off. - (Another Scott)
         Federal court rejects effort to intervene. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Interesting, no states rights arguments -NT - (boxley)
             Unusually clear ruling. - (static)

Remember, people in 1900 didn't know what an atom was. They didn't know its structure.

They also didn't know what a radio was, or an airport, or a movie, or a television, or a computer, or a cell phone, or a jet, an antibiotic, a rocket, a satellite, an MRI, ICU, IUD, IBM, IRA, ERA, EEG, EPA, IRS, DOD, PCP, HTML, internet. interferon, instant replay, remote sensing, remote control, speed dialing, gene therapy, gene splicing, genes, spot welding, heat-seeking, bipolar, prozac, leotards, lap dancing, email, tape recorder, CDs, airbags, plastic explosive, plastic, robots, cars, liposuction, transduction, superconduction, dish antennas, step aerobics, smoothies, twelve-step, ultrasound, nylon, rayon, teflon, fiber optics, carpal tunnel, laser surgery, laparoscopy, corneal transplant, kidney transplant, AIDS... None of this would have meant anything to a person in the year 1900. They wouldn't know what you are talking about.
55 ms