IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Whoa
Read the article. Says the administration, not the individuals.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New I did. You're wrong. Sorry.
http://bostonglobe.c...bhwk1K/story.html
New Not the same article
that one talks about individuals buying, and yep, thats different.

Doesn't really change my opinion on the matter..but you are correct that this would not be security procedure of the administration.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Actually you're wrong two ways
Buy backs are acceptable (and SOP) if the administration is buying equipment from individuals for security.

However,
1) Individuals buying hard-drives from governments (for security) is very unusual.

Assuming it's purely security related, the other problem...
2) How is this NOT favoritism? These drives weren't auctioned off. They did NOT belong to Romney personally, they belonged to the state. If I can buy a drive, can I buy a computer? A boat? A plane? What price was paid?

When I worked as a Government Contractor, I was not allowed to buy *ANYTHING* except through an action.

But then again, Romney is a Republican. If Obama did this, you can bet people would yell.

(Hell, they yelled about Clinton's administration walking off with 'W' keys from the keyboards!)
New As I said, if you would read
the initial article mentioned nothing of individuals, it was said "the administration"..which, btw, is the government.

If it was individuals, then it is NOT SOP. I know this. And said as much.

The opinion that doesn't change is the one where I said "I don't care".

The W key thing was stupid too, but also destruction of property, not hiding anything.
New GAO report.
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d02360.pdf (220 page .PDF):

• Twenty-six EOP staff said that they observed a total of 30 to 64 computer keyboards with missing or damaged “W” keys. Two former Clinton administration staff said that they saw a total of 3 or 4 keyboards with missing “W” keys.

• Purchase records indicated that the EOP bought 62 computer keyboards on January 23 and 24, 2001. The January 23 purchase request for 31 keyboards indicated that the keyboards were “needed to support the transition,” and the January 24 purchase request for another 31 keyboards indicated that it was a “second request for the letter ‘W’ problem.” The purchase requests were approved by an OA financial manager who, in April 2001, sent an E-mail to an OA branch chief indicating that the 62 keyboards purchased in January 2001 were approximately the number that were defective because “W” keys were missing or inoperable during the transition. (The actual number of keyboards that were damaged during the transition is uncertain because of different statements provided by EOP staff regarding the number of damaged keyboards that had to be replaced.)

There were 518 people working for the EOP the first few weeks of 2001.

Interesting that it seemingly took 3 months for the keyboard purchases to be approved. I guess they hadn't heard of the GSA yet.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting?
That's pretty quick for gov procurement
New Heh. Don't think so.
New Destruction? Really?
I don't know about you, but if a computer won't work with a keyboard, it certainly won't work if the hard drive is taken.

Then it becomes a matter of semantics: If I take a 'W' and leave a quarter, is that better or worse than taking a hard drive and leaving $100 bill?

You could argue that Romney's aides had permission...I'd argue from whom. Then I'd question if the Clinton administration officials had permission. :-)

And the follow-up is still on the table - who gave Romney's aides permission to "buy" the hard drives and at what price? That question isn't insignificant.
     Another RepubliCANT destroying govt. records - (lincoln) - (36)
         republicans are destroying solyndra records! stop them! -NT - (boxley) - (4)
             Got proof? -NT - (lincoln) - (3)
                 why, you dont need any an insinuation is perfectly valid :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     So, in other words: No you don't -NT - (lincoln)
                 A simple easy boxtroll stop - I Like - (crazy)
         Re: Another RepubliCANT destroying govt. records - (beepster) - (18)
             read the last paragraph that I posted again - (lincoln) - (17)
                 Re: read the last paragraph that I posted again - (beepster) - (16)
                     Well, if it's SOP - (lincoln) - (15)
                         Re: Well, if it's SOP - (beepster) - (13)
                             Whoa - (crazy) - (9)
                                 Re: Whoa - (beepster) - (8)
                                     I did. You're wrong. Sorry. - (crazy) - (7)
                                         Not the same article - (beepster) - (6)
                                             Actually you're wrong two ways - (S1mon_Jester) - (5)
                                                 As I said, if you would read - (beepster) - (4)
                                                     GAO report. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                         Interesting? - (beepster) - (1)
                                                             Heh. Don't think so. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Destruction? Really? - (S1mon_Jester)
                             Why don't you care? - (crazy) - (2)
                                 between useless fek and a white useless fek? - (boxley)
                                 Very simple - (beepster)
                         I worked as a contractor/vendor for... - (folkert)
         More at the Great Orange Satan. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             Ah, dailykos wnd for the lincoln's of america -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                 Heh. Lots o linkies there. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 but they do post the truth - (lincoln) - (8)
                     ROFL! why is wnd still publishing then? -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                         cause they've got millions in the bank - (lincoln) - (6)
                             cause they've got millions in the bank - (boxley) - (5)
                                 see #54193 -NT - (lincoln) - (1)
                                     :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                 Besides, Soros funds MediaMatters - (lincoln) - (2)
                                     here, have some help - (boxley) - (1)
                                         you'd be a lot more believeable - (lincoln)

They're behind the couch.
100 ms