IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Great minds..
Clearly this Tissot model was co-opted by Seiko in the '70s, when I bought my clone; the simplicity made it my only acceptable choice.
Seiko's treatment of crystal shape, bezel edge, (done for routine mfg, I suppose) quite misses the art achieved by Tissot, whose entry I hadn't seen

Which reminds me that it's time to replace yan battery--overlooked for many months as, I no need watch (either.) And an automatic would be a Fail for me, keeping the sucker wound on time-less days.

So we agree: simplicity, well executed nearly always Wins.

The Tick Tock Man
New Citizen EcoDrive is nice.
It has a solar cell that keeps the internal battery charged. Even room light will do it. It's nice not having to worry about replacing watch batteries!

I had a Citizen EcoDrive chronograph with a perpetual calendar (it's smart enough to know which months have 28/29/30/31 days for years on end) that I was wearing last. Trouble is, I messed it up when I was changing to DST and didn't want to dig out the manual to reset the day and date properly. Then realized I didn't really need it anymore, so it's in a drawer now.

Citizen even has EcoDrive versions now that can listen to WWVB - http://www.nist.gov/...88/grp40/wwvb.cfm - , etc., to reset themselves to the atomic clocks - e.g. http://princetonwatc...op/JY0005-50E.asp Look at all them tiny dials! ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Citizen EcoDrive is nice.
I have an Eco Drive "Orca" for dossing around and to make a change from the G-Shock (GW3000BD - solar powered and radio-controlled; this watch should satisfy anyone's "is it the exact right time?" OCD):

Orca review: http://forums.watchu...6-04l-320781.html

Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 11, 2011, 12:19:00 AM EST
New Neat. Does the G-Shock do Daylight/Standard tango for you ?
New Yep
It truly is the watch for the bone-idle.

Edit: bizarre autocomplete
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 11, 2011, 12:24:03 PM EST
New Nice idea
but clearly marketed to the affluent gadgeteer, thus far. Love the obvious sanity of solar recharge, but not at those prices.
Why is this still a rarity == Duh!! The atomic clock thing must add a million transistors, would be cute but I can live with +/- 10 sec and a reset once in a while (?)

Now whether or not you Need to use that Cee Dee to program all its abstruse arrays.. that's still a scary thought.
Will see how Eco-drive marketing goes, next; could maybe find my basics on a few dials--simply ignore the sidereal? or other amusing dials.
They don't seem to be addressing the 'simpler' market yet.

But it's all fun!
New Re: Nice idea
http://www.amazon.co...eco-drive&x=0&y=0

You can get an Eco Drive, without the bling, for less a hundred bucks.

If you don't mind "digital" and "ass-ugly", you can get a Tough Solar WaveCeptor G-Shock for under $60:

http://www.amazon.co...321086543&sr=1-14
New Thanks, pretty well covers the range
of this simplest display-dial form.

(re. the G-Sh(l?)ock, as you summarize)--it is exactly, if you don't mind ass-ugly.
I think that `2-yr. replacement' of any battery is now rendered antediluvian, just on principle.
May shortly settle for the lightest combo with expansion band (for quick on/off) and maybe Japanese solar;
Seiko has been accurate and reliable for me since '70s
I should reward such integrity, also registering a vote against the ethics-free corp. majority.

Sometime a sleeper Tissot may prove snatchable off eBay, with a low 'BIN'..
That would always be allowable under the art-exception budget clause.
New Re: Thanks, pretty well covers the range
I (and most watch folk who know a bit about such things) have massive respect for Seiko.

Horologically speaking, Seiko are pretty much the complete manufacture, much more so than more "prestigious" names like Breitling, Hublot and even Omega and Rolex.

They make all their own movements. All their own components. Even their own lubricants. From cheapo autos like the 7S26, with its clever magic lever (which reduces to four the number of moving parts in the automatic winding system) in the sub-£100 Seiko 5s to the Spring Drive movement in £10,000 Grand Seikos, there's innovation and invention everywhere. From the bottom of the range to the top, fit and finish is best-in-class.

Quite frankly, if I could only have one watch for the rest of my life, it'd be a Grand Seiko Spring Drive diver, probably an SBGA031 (Seiko don't spend much money on naming their watches).

http://www.grand-sei...rive/SBGA031.html
New You'd like the one I used to have
It was a reproduction, made from the original specs for the watches U.S. aviators wore in WWII. Simple, durable, real glow-in-the-dark hands -- not that crap that glows for 30 seconds after being in bright light. I think it might have been this model: http://www.ebay.com/...-45-/180749613404

Hmm ... I don't remember getting rid of it. I wonder if it's in a box somewhere.
--

Drew
New A bit too simple, actually
When your internal clock is screwed up (say, trapping animals needing care or neutering and such) you need to be nearby.. NOT leave them for hours (for all sorts of reasons.)
That might cover 10 pm --> 5 am, so I want to see date and Day, even, when running-on-empty: hence the layout of Peter's watch-face and its appeal.

But when planning a sortie on some Troglodyte stronghold (a nest of Rush-fed 21st Century zombies, perhaps?)--the Waltham is your best bet, eh?
New (Summary ... credited.)
It seems that Michelangelo (Buonarotti, that is) figured out that koan--or stood on-the-shoulders-of, etc.)

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Had the same feeling as re. Seiko's simple/clean dial ... much earlier:
on noticing that the cam follower on a Vincent was a forked one which contacted the surface of a shrunk-on collar on each valve;
this feature along with their dual valve guides,
(also with less oscillation on a long valve stem, usually pushed at its end) made for a long valve-seat life, etc.)
Phil Irving had grokked this synergy to fullness..
     New watchery - (pwhysall) - (21)
         Very nice. - (static)
         New? - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Re: New? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 ROFL. - (Another Scott)
                 not into time (unless Im diving then a nice rolex will do) -NT - (boxley)
                 Bought a case to put my phone on my belt this week - (malraux) - (2)
                     You've changed, man - (pwhysall)
                     could be a wash - (lincoln)
         I was so happy when I got my 1st beeper. - (crazy)
         Great minds.. - (Ashton) - (11)
             Citizen EcoDrive is nice. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                 Re: Citizen EcoDrive is nice. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Neat. Does the G-Shock do Daylight/Standard tango for you ? -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Yep - (pwhysall)
                 Nice idea - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Re: Nice idea - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Thanks, pretty well covers the range - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Re: Thanks, pretty well covers the range - (pwhysall)
             You'd like the one I used to have - (drook) - (1)
                 A bit too simple, actually - (Ashton)
             (Summary ... credited.) - (Ashton)

I think mushrooms are like steroids in this. See how you get bigger and stronger?
69 ms