IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Your not the first to notice this
Several economists have said that it would be better to cap the size of the big financial corporations so that the failure of any one wouldn't risk the economy. Nobody in Washington is listening.

Jay
New I would be extremely surprised if I was!
But yes, I had noticed this seems to have not been taken seriously as an option. Which is a real shame. Because it would be a quite direct counter to the greed of the senior executives.

Much how I don't like the idea of companies owning other companies, nor of a company "trading under" another name, especially one radically different to the real name.

Wade.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
New Corporate personhood FTW!!1!!1!!111one1!!
--

Drew
New It was to bury the problems and kick the can down the road.
IOW, allowing huge banks (E.g. Bank of America) to buy large banks that were in trouble (e.g. CountryWide) was a way to bury the losses for a while, in the hope that the economy would recover enough to minimize the total overall losses. The "kick the can" approach.

So far, it has worked because the banks haven't had to write off the huge losses yet.

(The alternative was something like bankruptcy of CountryWide which would have forced other banks to immediately take their losses, putting more pressure on the banking system and the economy while it was already in freefall.)

But...

BOA is finally starting to propose settlements on lots of their bad loans - http://www.calculate...a-settlement.html

They're just one of the big players - more are waiting in the wings.

Last week there was talk of a $60B settlement for foreclosure issues - http://www.calculate...age-servicer.html

Maybe kicking the can was the best approach. I dunno. But reality eventually catches up - someone is going to have to eat the losses eventually. Presumably that means these TBTF banks are going to shrink (possibly by getting eaten by other huge banks. :-(

This isn't over by a long shot. If/when Greece defaults, it'll add yet another layer of complexity on top.

Cheers,
Scott.
     gotta love those too big to fail banks - (boxley) - (15)
         Thanks--useful - (Ashton)
         Too big to fail? Maybe they should be split up. - (static) - (6)
             Wise words: Reactionary Pols; air-head consumers :-/ -NT - (Ashton)
             Your not the first to notice this - (jay) - (3)
                 I would be extremely surprised if I was! - (static) - (2)
                     Corporate personhood FTW!!1!!1!!111one1!! -NT - (drook)
                     It was to bury the problems and kick the can down the road. - (Another Scott)
             That would be "punishing success" -NT - (mhuber)
         Everybody's got a Chase story. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
             when I switch direct deposit it requires a paper check - (boxley)
             Why couldn't you deposit it at your own bank? - (static) - (4)
                 You could but - (scoenye) - (3)
                     Ah... that problem. - (static) - (2)
                         Right, daughter needed cash for gas. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             You need to join a credit union. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)

She's kinda got that "tornado bait before the DingDongs work their magic" look.
191 ms