IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dunno.
There are so many things going on with these boxes these days (memory mapping video RAM and such, I think), I have no idea why 6 GB is OK by 8 GB isn't on yours. Earlier versions of the Mini had that issue as well - http://discussions.a...=2571098&tstart=0 .

The Mini only has 2 sockets, so that's it (even if it took 8 GB modules that's way too expensive).

Older memory is often more expensive than newer stuff. In my quick browsing, I didn't see anything cheaper than what you found for your iMac. While looking around I found a thread about lots of users having freezing issues. I hope that doesn't bite you - apparently it was a video driver issue. http://discussions.a...tart=300&tstart=0

Be careful! Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.

New Re: Dunno.
Some of those replies show a difference in brands, apparently for identical spec chips -- where one person swapped his MB and MM boards and both worked.

Turns out that my iMac has 2 x 2 GB, also just 2 slots..
Will likely settle for the 6 for now anyway; by time that extra-50% goodness wears off, the next 4 GB + trade-in creds will be a bargain.
Paying a tad more at iFixit is OK because that's how they pay for their superb How-tos and they guarantee at least the 6 GB kit.
(If the problem on iMac is also firmware, mayhap that too will happen by the time I need it.)
Ditto for you if MM problem is firmware, etc.

Thanks for the sleuthing.

A.
New iMac @ 6 GB, no sweat so far.. Love It.
New Woot. Success is good!
     Trivial memory upgrade on Mac Mini Server (2010). - (Another Scott) - (7)
         Seems my iMac can accommodate an extra 2GB over 'specs' - (Ashton) - (6)
             Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Re: Dunno. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     iMac @ 6 GB, no sweat so far.. Love It. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Woot. Success is good! -NT - (Another Scott)
             Same with my MBP - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 That inventive Czech seems to have resolved firmware - (Ashton)

Look on my CD collection, ye mighty, and despair!
62 ms