IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OT: Tek scopes
Ashton, you are terrible. You had to remind me of a day of joy when a Tek 545-B with dual trace and delayed sweep arrived for my use. What a quality work horse that was! Yes, I know it's a different scope, but the model numbers are a hair away in memory.
Alex

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." -- Neils Bohr (1885-1962)
New Yeah.. imagine finding Art in a lab.
I remember too, when the first 545 [no -B] arrived at the electron synchrotron - replacing a 514 AD IIRC (?) All those ceramic terminal strips, anodised aluminium - and as close to perfection as a manufactured product might get. We just stood around looking at it, with the covers off. (What a great living room display for the Upscale folk - even today - leaving off the covers! Especially late at night = foot warmer too)

As doubtless you are aware, quite a few are still around and in (or restored to) original condition. Pity that 500ish watts is just a bit much and 30ish MHz a bit little :( But with sampling plug-ins, BW is still respectable; not a few 1L4 (?) spectrum analyzers are still being used too.

I have a 564B storage scope with a Nelson-Ross audio spectrum analyzer plug-in. Gotta find an audio type to get this one. Clean as new - and the -B mainframe was all solid state (though the Ross unit ain't.)

Anyway.. Tek ain't Tek anymore - just as HP has become a commodity reseller of $30 ink cartridges at 500% profit. Still, I've culled pristine examples of the clever Sony-Tek small scopes, like the small 35 MHz 335; another model of same size at 5 MHz / w DVM, etc. These peddled for >$3k towards the end of their run == now just hundreds, and some like new. Someday soon, people won't believe an actual "Corporation" was ever motivated to build such quality.

{sigh} Quality - look for that in your local museum.

Ashton
hoping sometime to steal a 2467-B "Bright-eye" scope, just for the hell of its impossible complexity / simple operation.
New Re: Yeah.. imagine finding Art in a lab.
Did you ever note the little cartoons on the schematics in the manual? Or, the small roll of silver solder inside the case for an unlikely repair?
Alex

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." -- Neils Bohr (1885-1962)
New Yup..
Loved the skier.. down a delay-line IIRC !!

The little rolls of, technically "3% silver-bearing", not really silver-solder - so as not to cause the 'fritted silver' on the strips to come loose with repeated tin-lead soldering. Perfectionist stuff, and on its own white ceramic-like bobbin!

But what the New-Tek is like:

I burned up the First e- thing ever (well, almost) on a #$*#@% 2430 digital scope: seems that it May Not be operated out of the case w/o "an additional air supply". Now there were labels of usual dummy kind.. CAUTION Glass CRT under high vacuum and the like.. but only (later when it came) in the manual ~ p.45 was a little note about this peculiarity. And NO LABEL inside the case. D'Oh.

Really pissed me off because I was able to cure an error message about a particular part by forcing a re-cal; scope would have been OK. But then I recalled..

in space, nobody can hear you scream..

Grumble, piss, moan
     3Ware RAID: add replacement drive to degraded array - (kmself) - (36)
         Sounds like a card not drive problem to me. - (Another Scott) - (35)
             Also-check the signal cable to the "bad" drive.Intermittent? -NT - (Another Scott)
             Suspect you're right - (kmself)
             JBOD v. RAID on new disk insertion - (kmself) - (32)
                 Re: JBOD v. RAID on new disk insertion - (morganek) - (31)
                     Following procedure...confirms bad card - (kmself) - (30)
                         Re: SCSI. - (a6l6e6x) - (29)
                             IDE RAID - (Andrew Grygus) - (28)
                                 Interesting - (kmself) - (27)
                                     Have you guys seen the discussion on IBM's 120GXP 10 hr/day? - (tonytib) - (26)
                                         Heard about it, yeah -NT - (kmself)
                                         Components - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                             Thanks -NT - (tonytib)
                                             IDE, SCSI, and change - (kmself) - (1)
                                                 SCSI is better, but not always - (tonytib)
                                         Re: IBM's 120GXP only 10 hr/day. - (a6l6e6x) - (20)
                                             But they won't guarentee it for >3 years - (tonytib) - (19)
                                                 No disagreement from here. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 Highly erratic - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                     I especially love that last comment! -NT - (tonytib)
                                                 Interesting.... Very interesting... [RANT] not just at Tony - (folkert) - (15)
                                                     Greg, I've been looking at actuators for six years now - (tonytib) - (3)
                                                         Then why do we never here about... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                             Could be a bunch of reasons: - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                             Politics, IIRC - (tonytib)
                                                     Then what makes SCSI seem better? - (Brandioch) - (10)
                                                         The what! - (folkert) - (9)
                                                             Sounds good. - (Brandioch) - (8)
                                                                 Well, it all depends... - (folkert) - (7)
                                                                     Hey there, Greg - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                                         OT: Tek scopes - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                                                             Yeah.. imagine finding Art in a lab. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                 Re: Yeah.. imagine finding Art in a lab. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                                     Yup.. - (Ashton)
                                                                         Hey there, Ashton - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                             Good sleuthing and thanks for the tip - (Ashton)

Hatten ar din, hatten ar din. Hatten ar din, hatt baby!
126 ms