IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IDE, SCSI, and change
Interesting comment on the spec change. I threw this out to someone else, and the response was "well, you could say the same for SCSI". My sense, though, is that SCSI updates tend to be less frequent, less drastic, and more bidirectionally compatible -- with a cable conversion, you can run newer drives on older cards, and/or vice-versa, though you'll miss enhancements of the newer side of the combination.

Comments?
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New SCSI is better, but not always
(Again, corrections and additions welcome)
IDE has been very upwards compatible for non-RAID systems, e.g. I can use ATA-33 drives with an ATA-100 controller, and ATA-100 drives with ATA-33 controllers.

OTOH, I interpret Andrew as saying that the IDE RAID controllers aren't that compatible, so a ATA-66 RAID controller might not work well with ATA-100 drives.

Many of the SCSI generations are compatible (SCSI-I/II/Ultra), but when SCSI went to LVD (SCSI-3? I know SCSI-160 is LVD), the newer (LVD) devices aren't compatible with the older (SE) devices, because the signaling voltages and methods are so different. However, I would expect SCSI-3 (80 MB/sec) and SCSI-160 to be pretty compatible, and most likely SCSI-320 as well.

Tony
     3Ware RAID: add replacement drive to degraded array - (kmself) - (36)
         Sounds like a card not drive problem to me. - (Another Scott) - (35)
             Also-check the signal cable to the "bad" drive.Intermittent? -NT - (Another Scott)
             Suspect you're right - (kmself)
             JBOD v. RAID on new disk insertion - (kmself) - (32)
                 Re: JBOD v. RAID on new disk insertion - (morganek) - (31)
                     Following procedure...confirms bad card - (kmself) - (30)
                         Re: SCSI. - (a6l6e6x) - (29)
                             IDE RAID - (Andrew Grygus) - (28)
                                 Interesting - (kmself) - (27)
                                     Have you guys seen the discussion on IBM's 120GXP 10 hr/day? - (tonytib) - (26)
                                         Heard about it, yeah -NT - (kmself)
                                         Components - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                             Thanks -NT - (tonytib)
                                             IDE, SCSI, and change - (kmself) - (1)
                                                 SCSI is better, but not always - (tonytib)
                                         Re: IBM's 120GXP only 10 hr/day. - (a6l6e6x) - (20)
                                             But they won't guarentee it for >3 years - (tonytib) - (19)
                                                 No disagreement from here. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 Highly erratic - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                     I especially love that last comment! -NT - (tonytib)
                                                 Interesting.... Very interesting... [RANT] not just at Tony - (folkert) - (15)
                                                     Greg, I've been looking at actuators for six years now - (tonytib) - (3)
                                                         Then why do we never here about... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                             Could be a bunch of reasons: - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                             Politics, IIRC - (tonytib)
                                                     Then what makes SCSI seem better? - (Brandioch) - (10)
                                                         The what! - (folkert) - (9)
                                                             Sounds good. - (Brandioch) - (8)
                                                                 Well, it all depends... - (folkert) - (7)
                                                                     Hey there, Greg - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                                         OT: Tek scopes - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                                                             Yeah.. imagine finding Art in a lab. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                 Re: Yeah.. imagine finding Art in a lab. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                                     Yup.. - (Ashton)
                                                                         Hey there, Ashton - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                             Good sleuthing and thanks for the tip - (Ashton)

One. Two. Three. Ah, ha ha ha ha ha!
84 ms