IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Delorean Hard Drive
Would be perfect for Time Machine (OS X) if it came in a larger capacity.

http://www.pcworld.c...time_machine.html
New $250 for a 500GB drive
I'll stick with a Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB under $100.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Re: Delorean Hard Drive
I like my LaCie 500GB Rugged All-Terrain Hard Drive W/800 fire wire
and my backpack shelf
http://twelvesouth.c...roducts/backpack/

now you can get an 1TB w/ 800 fire wire for 190.00

"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New I just ordered one of these.
http://www.amazon.co...K/ref=oss_product $79.

Haven't received it yet.

That plus about $60 for your favorite brand 1 TB drive seems to be hard to beat for a good looking, rugged, multi-interface external drive.

We'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: I just ordered one of these.
I had a 500GB one on my 24 Imac and my time machine did not like it
would not backup all the time
Took it back and got the rugged
Hope it works for you let me know
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
New So far, it seems pretty good.
I installed a 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm drive, hooked up the power brick, hooked up the FW800 cable (included) to the MacMini Server, powered it up.

Made a single partition (GUID aka MacOS Extended).

It seems fine. TimeMachine sees it, but I haven't tried using it for backup yet (backups go on the 2nd internal drive.) It's been on about 3 minutes now. ;-) I'll report back if there are any issues.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It'll be a long time...
Hope you can find this in a decade.
New Cute bone-simple item prompts irascible irade
..and I ain't even muslim..

Clever and Well-Designed Product eh?
So's a safety pin. Or a hasp for your shed door.

This 'shelf' is the epitome of simplicity; a few cents worth of alloy stock bent to appropriate angle and finished with routine anodising.
Now the pretty-obvious Idea Is worth *something* but ... but not-fucking-Nearly {conservatively: 80+%) of the price charged acolytes
-- who must nearly-all have 0-Sense of what a simple bent metal piece might cost, shipped from China and arrayed like a Pharaoh's mummy
-- in a graphically-correct box costing maybe half what the metal piece cost (bent.. but not yet polished and anodised.)

Thirty-fucking-Dollars USD + Tax + Shipping!?

See.. I could imagine buying this handy oversized-paper-clip, even (in some weak moment of intellectual vacancy) at an expected Steve-is-Precious/Precocious elite price of,
say ... oh.. maybe $13.95? [2-year warranty for $2.50 more.]
Y'know, like say, were I in the candy store with a friend buying a sexier iMac than my own and I Felt I needed to bring home Something-elite? and like that.
But No Way at a price which should -by-Law- demand: the affixing to my derriere at Checkout, a neatly Apple-lettered placard saying not exactly
~~ Kick Me! (but some modrin obliquely-inferential koan.)

See.. were this 'Accessory' prominently displayed on an island for impulse buyers:
I'd feel a moral imperative to be #1 in a coterie of soon-recruited fellow-pickets, equipped with sarcastic and neatly-Apple-lettered SIGNS
urging a boycott until the price was at least Halved.
Eventually.. even in Murica, abject-absurdity Must be noticed Aloud. One might think.
(And it would be more Zappa-like abject off-wall-Fun than a transistor-guitar concert, I betcha!)

Now You, Bman, have every right to assign a much-higher valuation to the convenience of this oversized paper-clip than do I.
And I could.. scrape up the price of 22 or so decent-grade cans of cat food and raise my WD Passport Elite off the deck,
to make space for another stack of unsorted notes, in its present locale. Cats win that one every time.

But tell me, please: didn't >you< feel ... just-a-teensy-bit Ripped-Off ??
-- when you sprung for this doodad? Did you not want to write a brief note (later.. on reflecting what you had done) to -->
Apple Marketing LLC / Div. of Selling the Sizzle and Screw the nonexistent-Bacon, Gmbh?

Just curious.. if I'm the only one (here, anyway) with a similar take on just this One example of, nothing exceeds like excess.

[/irade]

Yeah.. yeah.. She gets a new i-5 screamer, will never calculate nondenumerable infinities while computing probabilities of a nationwide brownout occurring when Pluto is next in retrograde --and I Don't.

New Re: Cute bone-simple item prompts irascible irade
1. who peed on you to day?( or maybe no one did and that whats wrong)
2. the twenty some buck is not a big deal for some thing that work well
it keeps the drive out of the way and cool
if you ever owned a Rugged All-Terrain Hard Drive they run hot when on a desk
but on the shelf (you so hate) it stay nice and cool
So no I don't feel ripped off
or the fact 20,30, or even 100 is piss-away cash to me
I'm at a point in life If I like it or think its neat I will buy it no big deal
Sorry you think $30.00 is a lot but it's not
so get over it
Hey Ashton have a better day tomorrow

New You're quite right..
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent demographics.
aka "ROI" ain't the only criterion, well -- so far. (I'm 'buying' today for a bleaker future than you are, apparently.)
In words of Rosanne Rosanna-Danna, Never mind.

PS: had noted earlier, about those encased drives, what you said; almost got one on sale
-- thought that if I had it I would put nearby a tiny/quiet Braun squirrel-cage desk fan
(whose design just happens to be pretty complementary to the sleekness of iMac -- and even color-coordinated. Heh.)

Point-of-detail though:
I note that my tiny (2.5 HD) WD Passport spends most of its life asleep, with the power light blinking slowly to show that.
In its plastic case (no vents) it's barely lukewarm when I occasionally touch it.
'Course too, reloading all the saved stuff after some main-drive crash would be different, I expect.

Surely your drive doesn't stay spinning in between backups. Is it really ever hot when you touch it?
because it's hard to imagine that the standby electronics would use a lot of power
and I presume that Time Machine sends a 'sleep' command after it finishes. Or drive electronics have some time-out?
Maybe not.

New Re: You're quite right..
Boy your such a mac hater (but never mind)

The running hot is known for the the drive
Time Machine runs every hour
I have had the drive for almost 2 years and the shelf for about 6 months
and drive works great in fact the imac drive died on me last year an apple gave me a new and bigger drive
I restored my imac with the rugged drive in about 1 hour and lost nothing
so you can see know I like the rugged drive and the shelf
I have tred lots of backup drives over the years
like the the Seagate free agent go but they don't have a 500 GB 800/ firewire at that time only a 350 GB
the 350 worked great on my mac mini
tried the G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE High-Performance Hard Drive but it did not like my imac and would lock up on me took it back 2 times
ended up with the rugged and happy with it

New Um, Ashton runs an iMac. ;-)
New Ashton owns and uses an iMac.
He is an equal opportunity hater.
New I despise haters! ... ;^>
I don't even 'hate' Jobs' o'erweening, punctilious obsessions ... like with putting ONLY a then- mondo-Expensive optical drive in the Lisa / no fans EVAH!! (even slow, temp-cotrolled ones)
... until the Mac Pro G-4 was it? had a case full -- which still managed to be a quiet tower unless/until pushed into some video mac-hinations of the 'Pro' ilk .

So ... he Does learn, eventually, that some of his Insistences were indeed mere psych-obsessions. +6.666 on that Cluefulness, at last..
I share his attitude that 'machines' can be attractive as objects while remaining fully functional. Where I part with him (and his love for the ^up^-scale demographic) is in ROI,
precisely the Point of my irade about that laughably over-priced piece of bent metal, above.

So Steverino gets my vote for making the (nearest-to literally) actually User. Friendly. pop-OS
[which is, of course, simultaneously a Pro-OS too, for those who play in the fields of CL perturbations for fun or profit.]

I just don't worship the sucker.. nor lust after every gadget he spawns -- even the ones I could afford. But need not.
(Also: have little idea what he plans to do with his $Bs, eventually.)
That will determine his actual character, just as Billy's stolen Monopoly-loot has become shepherded by Melissa,
who obviously was/is more socially aware and adept than the heartless geek who did the pillaging.
Maybe Steve needs someone with a soul nearby, too? We'll see.

My Spring '08-built 20" iMac remains the first nearly-flawless 'computer' I've owned -- coming up on 2 yrs. in Jan.
As a giant laptop it remains ~ vulnerable to high ambient temps -- but thanks to iStat, decent temp sensors and smcFanControl: ¡no es una problema!
Add-in the silent sophistication of Time Machine.. frosting on the cake. iMac Kicks Doze Ass.

Delorean Hard Drive - (SpiceWare) - (13)
         $250 for a 500GB drive - (lincoln)
         Re: Delorean Hard Drive - (Bman) - (11)
             I just ordered one of these. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Re: I just ordered one of these. - (Bman) - (2)
                     So far, it seems pretty good. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         It'll be a long time... - (folkert)
             Cute bone-simple item prompts irascible irade - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Re: Cute bone-simple item prompts irascible irade - (Bman) - (5)
                     You're quite right.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                         Re: You're quite right.. - (Bman) - (3)
                             Um, Ashton runs an iMac. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Ashton owns and uses an iMac. - (folkert) - (1)
                                 I despise haters! ... ;^> - (Ashton)

Keep up the good work. Those dark sides need more advertising.
108 ms