IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New [textarea] FTW
I worked at a company that processed real estate paperwork. My favorite example was a property where the legal description was nearly 8 single-spaced pages long, and included such gems as, "... to the third post on the fence between the barn and the oak tree."

Granted, we were dealing with the entire boundary, not just the address.

For addresses, we had one common issue: People needed to take loans for new construction. On new developments, there were no streets, much less street addresses. And some builders wouldn't submit the paperwork to have a new street name officially registered until they had pre-sold some number of units.

Now, you figure out how to explain to the bank that we don't have a street address for the collateral property yet, but we'll have it within some unspecified period, depending on how soon other people close their deals. You would think banks would have heard of "new construction" before, but some of them I was convinced did 99.999999% refinancing, and anything else was processed by hand ... on paper.

Then there was the one-shot deal -- only happened once in the years that I was there, but we had to code for it anyway. All of our date code assumed U.S., since we only dealt with property in the U.S. Then we got a deal where the buyer was currently living in England, and would be moving to the U.S. Oh shit.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Sept. 9, 2010, 11:39:24 AM EDT
New 1. Edit your subject. 2. I've been there, too.
After all this time, we've found a bug in the IWT code: it doesn't escape your subject text properly in the Reply Page. This produces a botched piece of layout as the browser sees a [textarea] tag too early...

In a previous job, we had to accomodate mailing addresses in China and other places in Asia (Japanese addresses are, for the most part, structured very differently to Western addresses.) Fortunately, we didn't have to do anything but re-display it in our own app.

Names were more fun, though. Unfortunately, you can't make quite the same assumptions about Firstnames and Lastnames with Asian names as you can with Western European names.

(A similar learning experience happened at a different place when we had to handle a wide variety of non-English text. I learnt a lot about UTF8 and migrating a database to it.)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Oops, hey, lookit that
It looked okay in the preview, and on the forum listing page, so I didn't think to click in and check it.
--

Drew
New FWIW, I don't think the angle brackets gave FF problems here
New They didn't....
Unless you went to reply to it.
New Ah. Thanks.
     PAYPAL IS THE WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD - (Another Scott) - (13)
         Why is he down on Google? PayPal belongs to eBay. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             ? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Right at the top he says he's going to say it . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Yeah... - (Another Scott)
         Or, the joys of living in Small Town America. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             +5, Informative. - (static) - (7)
                 [textarea] FTW - (drook) - (5)
                     1. Edit your subject. 2. I've been there, too. - (static) - (4)
                         Oops, hey, lookit that - (drook) - (3)
                             FWIW, I don't think the angle brackets gave FF problems here -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 They didn't.... - (folkert) - (1)
                                     Ah. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Grrrrr.... HTML terrorist! -NT - (scoenye)

What a 'tard.
391 ms