IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Different causation
to create demand for industrials...industry has to expand, not simply recover. That point highlights how far we have to go before we get there.

Its not a point that says business won't hire until they hit 100% capacity. They have to hire to get to that capacity.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New You seem to be making a Supply Side argument.
(Reviewing the thread, I think you're being more specific, but you're using the Supply Side language. But I want to post this anyway.)

to create demand for industrials...industry has to expand, not simply recover.

?

"What's the most important thing for a business to have?
a) Good Management.
b) Good Workers.
c) Good Facilities.
d) Access to cheap Capital.
e) Low Taxes.
f) Low Regulations.
g) Strong and Diverse IP."

The answer? (Scroll down...)

None of the above. The most important thing for a business to have is a Customer. Someone who will give them money for a good or service.

As a general principle (which can be taken too far): Supply doesn't create demand. Demand creates Supply. To create Demand, you have to create Demand. In the wake of a burst bubble, that means getting money into the economy to pay for non-bubble things (keeping teachers, police, fire, librarians from being laid off; continuing road construction and other infrastructure; paying for long-delayed improvements; extended unemployment insurance; etc.).

Why do you think that industry has to expand first? The Great Depression taught us that Demand has to come first.

Earlier, you asked above whether Ford would build a new plant before retrofitting an old one. That has happened many, many times in the US auto industry. Remember Saturn. There were lots of things going on with Smith's creation of Saturn, but big companies quite often do start up something new rather than retrofitting an older place. It's about more than taking advantage of sunk costs.

As a general proposition, I reject the idea that a recovery is going to happen this time "on its own". We're very close to a deflationary trap. With housing prices continuing to fall, boomers approaching retirement, etc., etc., if we're lucky we're going to just muddle through and not "recover" without stronger government action. 10 years of muddling with 9-10% unemployment would be a disaster. We can't start growing from where we are now by continuing to cut government budgets. We don't need to inflate a new bubble; we need to raise employment and keep S&L governments from shrinking and counteracting expansionary efforts at the federal level. And we need to raise taxes on those who continue to get outsized rewards for various unproductive shenanigans. A millionaires tax won't hurt the economy and will help raise needed revenue (yes, it really will).

I may not be able to reply much over the next couple of weeks. If that turns out to be the case, don't think I'm ignoring you. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Who is the customer?
My point through all of these posts has been that just throwing money at people (creating domestic end point demand) is going to take a VERY LONG TIME to get through the system.

That is what you say will fix things. Well, eventually (many many years from now) get us back to where we were 10 years ago.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New What does that mean?
"... a VERY LONG TIME to get through the system."

Poor person gets a check. Poor person cashes the check. Poor person buys something. Money is into the system on Day 1.

What do you mean by "through" the system? Do you mean it will take a long time for that money to circulate enough times that it ends up allowing a manufacturer to increase capacity? Because that would be viewing increased utilization as the goal.

If not that, what do you mean by "a VERY LONG TIME to get through the system"?
--

Drew
New dunno if you noticed, it aint the poor getting the checks
if you aint a banker, financier car maker or government employee all you are getting is a tax
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New sigh
It means that not all "demand" begins and ends at the consumer. It means that a huge portion of big D is, to create a word to clarify for you, "intra-industrial", and if end demand doesn't grow beyond capacity then the "intra-industrial" demand won't kick in.

The whole point is, you can't just throw money to people and expect this economy to recover with any speed.
New Why should I care about intra-industrial demand?
First, I'm not an industry, I'm a person. So I care what people have to spend.

Second, if you directly spur intra-industrial demand somehow, you are necessarily choosing which industries and companies to favor. That's central planning. I thought free-market supporters were supposed to oppose that?

Third, there's not just one economy. There's the workers' economy and the owners' economy. The owners' economy is the one that gets reported in the finance press. The workers' economy is the one with high unemployment. As long as the owners' economy is at odds with the workers' economy, I'm at best indifferent to the owners.

I don't mind if owners are helped by a rise in the workers' economy. But most of the issues I see suggest that in the short term helping one comes at the expense of the other. The pendulum has been on the owners' side long enough. It needs to swing back a bit.
--

Drew
New Oh, and by the way ...
A report on the unemployment situation told listeners that the real problem in the economy is not a lack of demand, but rather inadequate investment. Actually investment in equipment and software has been growing at almost a 20 percent annual rate over the last three quarters. While it might be desirable to see investment grow even more rapidly, demand is a major determinant of investment growth. If the economy grew more rapidly as a result of a spur to consumption, it would almost certainly lead to more rapid growth in investment.

http://www.cepr.net/...100-percent-wrong
--

Drew
New Software?
sigh.
New Of course, focus on the *least important* part of that quote
--

Drew
New What,
that they lump asset and IP together in an expansion category?

You are clearly not getting it.

Recovery. Thats the word. Recovery means jobs. Recovery will be FASTER if you focus on all aspects of demand.

Just throwing money at joe consumer WILL NOT DO IT.

Its not a supply side argument. Its pure straight down the middle econ, regardless of your thinly veiled attempts at baiting by introducing communist planning and voodoo economics.

You have had 3 huge failed attempts at demand spurred growth in the past 12 months and you still don't seem to understand. Cash for clunks, housing credit and the tax withholding credit.

Additionally, the "stimulus" that was focussed on all the wrong parts of the economy (and they wonder why it didn't work, gee, go figure).

And you are still here saying that we should continue down that path because it will create more jobs.

Guess what?

We're nearly 1.4T down that path and unemployment is still rising. Hmmm.

Feel free to talk about it amongst yourself. It appears that you have little desire to pay attention, instead you keep trying to paint this as a supply side communist agenda. I'm done with that.
New "Recovery means jobs"
Remember when I said there are two economies? That wasn't a tangential point. A recovery for the owners' economy is almost completely unrelated to a recovery for the workers' economy.

So no, recovery does not mean jobs. Jobs means jobs.

The housing credit was a payment to the banks. You can blame whoever you want for passing what they did, but I don't consider that stimulus targeted at helping workers.

Cash for Clunkers might have helped, if they had required that the new cars were American. Or at least built in America.

Both those credits were targeted at specific industries, which is what I keep calling central planning. They were designed to help preserve the status quo.

The tax withholding change, which at least didn't favor a specific industry, was good for an estimated $65/mo for a family -- http://taxes.about.c...ew-tax-credit.htm That's enough to make a big number for the (owners') economy, but won't make a huge difference in most people's lives.

I also notice you didn't include the huge amounts of money sent directly to the banks via TARP and other off-the-books instruments. Even if that money were fully paid back, the round trip from the discount window to the bond market and back meant that huge (and mostly undocumented) amounts of money were shoveled to banks in the form of interest on the money we were loaning them.

But let's suppose every dollar that has been categorized as "stimulus" spending went directly to workers. The "big" number you keep quoting is $1.4 trillion. Considering the crash of the housing bubble represents a $6 trillion hole in the economy, how is that 1.4 supposed to do anything other than slow down the rate of decline?
--

Drew
New Re: "Recovery means jobs"
according to whom? recovery is gdp gains as opposed to losses it doesnt have squat to do with the unemployment rate. Now our economy is sorta ok at 7% unemployment, pretty decent at 5% but over 9 means we are fucked for a while. The wife and I were talking about our early years in marriage when the Alaskan economy had 9% unemployment and we lived week to week in shit trailers. Its bad, but jobs are not going to come back in the same places. Companies have found ways to get along with less and as you love to point out workers are a commodity. So demographics will change, those that can will move to the jobs, those who cant get left behind in grinding multigeneration poverty

If I lost my gig within 90 days I will be in deep kimchee and if I have to walk away from the 40k cash I have in this house I will do it, no choice it isnt easy pickins any more and hasnt been since 2001.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New That was Bill's line
recovery is gdp gains as opposed to losses it doesnt have squat to do with the unemployment rate.

That sounds a lot more like what I'm saying. When the financial press -- and the financial reporters for the mainstream press -- talk about "the economy", they mean the owners' economy. And when they talk about recovery, you're exactly right that they're talking about GDP.

That's what I meant when I said, "A recovery for the owners' economy is almost completely unrelated to a recovery for the workers' economy."
--

Drew
New bill is right
a decently paid fully employed work force is a byproduct of an overheated economy on the verge of popping another bubble. There is no such thing as a workers economy. Now workers have a standard of living scale but it doesnt have anything to do with an economy.

We could stage nationwide work to rule strikes and fight for living wages, cheap education, decent healthcare but november will show us the country would not be in the mood at all. but that really hasnt worked very well in the past, doubt it would work this time. The grocery unions are about to go on a major strike in the northwest, that may show us how things stand nationwide.
New With a line like that...
it is quite clear that you will never grasp my point.

There are NOT 2 economies.

New You want jobs, correct?
http://www.businessw...the+business+week

Maybe this will help you understand.

Maybe not.

The rest of your rant about central planning will be ignored...because you simply aren't getting the point..and in so seem to want to bait.
New That's not a point, that's an article
What's your point, that I'm not getting? I don't see the words "job" or "employment" anywhere in that article.

As for that article, I don't have the statistics handy, but I've seen Baker tear enough of these apart to know where to look.
They face meager expectations for growth and profits, costlier and scarcer credit, and a glut of production capacity and commercial buildings created by the recession.

And business construction, off a stunning 44% last quarter, will continue to suffer from past overexpansion, rising vacancy rates, and tight credit.

So is the cause the recession, or is the cause the inevitable slump after a period of overexpansion? He's claiming both.

Which points to the next issue: Construction is off 44% ... compared to a period of acknowledged overexpansion. Just like housing prices went too high and have to fall, commercial construction overshot the market. It should fall. And comparing this quarter, when it's working through a glut, to the quarter when that glut was being built, of course it's a big loss.

And you don't want to address the central planning issue. What I'm saying is that supply-side economics, by focusing on the companies instead of the employees and customers, has the same benefits and problems as central planning: It's great at making the status quo more efficient. It's lousy at responding to changes in the market.
--

Drew
New Get this through your head.
I'm not talking about supply side economics.

I'm talking about DEMAND. BIG D.

Your talking about demand. little d.

Until you figure out the difference, this conversation is pointless.
New Quit with the shorthand
You're the one who's so proud of his econ degree. I don't have one. "Big D Demand vs. little d demand" doesn't mean a damn thing to me. And if the difference between those two is the big point that I need to get into my head, then you're going to have to spell out what the hell it means.

You know, like I keep asking: What is your point? No shorthand, no buzzwords. Explain it to me like I'm a reasonably intelligent person who doesn't know the "correct" terminology for typical econ discussions.

If you tell me what your point is, there's a much higher chance it will actually make it into my head.

If I don't know the definition of the terms you use, how will I ever "figure out the difference"?
--

Drew
New Re: Quit with the shorthand
You cannot create the demand necessary to recover this economy by simply relying on giving money to the people. Thats little d.

A HUGE portion of the economy relies on companies selling to other companies or to governments (or to foreign countries). Add people, industry and government together, thats big D.

THAT is why it is important 1) to weaken the dollar to help exports 2) to worry about excess capacity and address ways to utilize it effectively and 3) to ensure that recovery money from the government is focussed on infrastructure almost exclusively.

The economy has reset. You CANNOT expect consumers, who have become net savers AND who still have debt to pay to create enough demand to pull us up. When you asked anyone a year ago what would they do with their "extra" money from tax credits, what was the thing you heard 99.9% of the time? "I'm going to pay off some bills". That is NOT creating demand. Thats paying for historical demand.

Nothing in any of my points is anywhere near supply side economics. I've not mentioned cutting taxes once. (although it would help, along with some very strong build local incentives)...but everything I've said is about creating Demand. Big D.

All of this uncertainty in Obama's policies have done something very bad to this economy. Its made corporations become net savers as well. That demand has to be released or we are going to see 10-12% unemployment for a very long time. (in case you missed jobs report..the summer hiring season went by with net job losses...thats some effective "stimulus")

Hope this helps. Thought that article articulated the point fairly well. Thats why I posted it.
New So you completely disagree with the "two economies" premise?
Divide the population somewhere between the 95th and 99th percentile. I guarantee that any mainstream financial coverage that talks about "good for the economy" or "bad for the economy" or "recovery" or any or a dozen other qualitative descriptions will be accurate for the top group.

Hell, they even talk about a "jobless recovery". If there's no jobs, that's not a recovery most people care about. That's what I mean by two economies. (Edwards' "Two Americas" was mostly right, but too broad. It's the economy, stupid. :-/ )

THAT is why it is important 1) to weaken the dollar to help exports 2) to worry about excess capacity and address ways to utilize it effectively and 3) to ensure that recovery money from the government is focussed on infrastructure almost exclusively.

I totally agree on your first point. But it would hurt the owners' economy. That's why the visible lobbying is all opposed to it.

Your other two points depend on defining "the economy" as a single thing, ignoring the two economies premise. If you keep ignoring that, then yes, we're going to keep talking past each other.

Oh, and consumers have become net savers. You forgot a word: again. Historically consumers have always been net savers. It's an anomaly of the housing bubble-driven credit boom that they weren't.

And speaking of that ... "consumers, who have become net savers ... made corporations become net savers as well." Why is it when you're talking about saving, consumers and corporations are two different groups. But when you talk about recovery there's only one economy, and one definition of what "recovery" means?
--

Drew
New Absolutely
positively and without a doubt.

There are not 2 economies. I don't care what the press says. If they say that, they're wrong too.

Whenever someone bows to one group or another...THE economy suffers.

And more than 30 years ago people were savers. That isn't what the driver is any longer. 30 years and more ago when consumers were savers there was a solid underlying manufacturing base that we've since pissed away.

Oh, certainly, there are those that will tell you we still have a solid manufacturing base..to which I will say I want what they're smoking.

And to the last question..did I not just explain to you that there are multiple components to demand? Did I break them into 2 economies? No. Why do you insist on this? Its all the same system. Its all THE economy. There isn't more than one. Its all the same system. It either works or it doesn't. It is singular.

If it doesn't work for the owners, it doesn't work for the workers. And I'm not sure who came up with the term "jobless recovery"...but I'm sure they had a lobotomy before they did.
New You're half right
If it doesn't work for the owners, it doesn't work for the workers.

But it is possible for it to work for the owners even when it's not working for the workers.
--

Drew
New No, its not.
short run it could be either way. Could be good for workers, bad for owners and vice versa. Long run it has to be good for both or it won't work.
New You're kidding, right?
Show me any evidence that long-run thinking was responsible for the real-estate bubble, the credit boom that it spawned, or the "creative" instruments (properly called "fraud") that capitalized on it, and I'll think you've got a point.

Owners can make short-term bets with enough upside to keep them in style for generations, and any downside covered by government guarantees. There's nothing available to workers that compares.

You can say that downside shouldn't be covered by the government, and that owners should be exposed to personal risk if they do a bad job, and I'll agree with you all day. But that isn't the current system.
--

Drew
New welfare food stamps unemployment compensation
social security, medicare, supplemental social security, workmans comp naw the workers dont get a fucking thing.
what caused the tech bubble.
yuppies pouring dollars into their 401k by the armload created a easing of credit so firms that didnt have an idea could sell to idiot money brokers and a company that had no way of seeing a profit was worth bajillions.
that bubble burst so the same dribbling yuppies loaded their money into realestate because unlike stocks realestate doesnt go down. Why wait till Im old to enjoy retirement, I will borrow on my equity.
Now they are underwater and unemployed so that monthly jam of 401k money into the market isnt as bountiful as before so next bubble will be delayed until after citybank and boa are dismantled.
New Eh?
Drook is talking about the rich gaming the system to increase their wealth. SS, FS, etc., aren't wealth.

Gates and Buffett and Helmsely wouldn't have their billions without the system that permits them to accumulate those vast holdings.

Whatchotalkinabout?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Big D.
Yes, a big part of the economy is not direct-to-consumer stuff. That is true.

However, the number that is usually bandied about in the press is "the consumer is 70% of the economy" (though some argue with that percentage - http://seekingalpha....he-economy-not-70 ).

Even if it were 50%, when that 50% falls off a cliff, there's a big problem.

Just about everyone in the US wants us to export more. Recall that Obama says he wants to double US exports over 5 (?) years (which many claim is a pipe dream). How do you propose that the US dollar fall while people are running to the dollar as a safe haven? China obviously isn't going to cooperate with the RMB increasing in value by, say, 30% in the near term, and the Germans are pushing exports as well.

Everyone can't massively increase exports simultaneously...

Like it or not, there is no single solution to the problem, but having millions of people out of work will make things worse. Checks from Uncle Sam is much better than the alternative.

AFAICS, Krugman's presented a stronger case than you have. (His latest summary (without many numbers) is here - http://www.nytimes.c...gman.html?_r=1&hp ) Give us more numbers if you want us to believe you. ;-)
New To be honest
I'm not worried if you believe me or not :-)

If the recent demand spurring failures haven't convinced you otherwise, and you're still quoting Krugman..then there isn't much hope of convincing you anyway.
New cheese
you want a lower dollar start selling them by buying other non pegged currencies until you get the price you want. Thats what central banks are for. If it goes too low you start buying.
New Talk to Sorros about that.
[Central] Banks can't beat the market.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Sept. 7, 2010, 01:58:39 AM EDT
New Central Banks >are< the market.
New <Boggle> I guess that's how George never made his $1B...
IOW, more words please.

Tell me how the Treasury is going to lower the value of the dollar when people around the world are rushing to buy dollars. It's the same sort of problem (in reverse) that the Crown had - if the market doesn't agree with your Central Bank about the value of your currency, there's little the Central Bank can do about it.

Cheers,
Scott.
New piggybacking a market isnt brilliant
you just need a lot of money to play with.
People are rushing to buy dollars true.
We can sell them by buying a basket of solid currencies until the flow reverses. We also could artificially peg to the Renminbi at a rate we would like but that would piss our landlord off.
New He made it playing the market..
..that the central banks make. Specifically, he sold the UK central bank short..betting (yes, gambling), that the UK central bank was not going to surrender to the EU currency system. He was correct, and he made a couple billion.
New And...?
http://en.wikipedia....Wednesday#Prelude

The market said that the UK government couldn't support the pound at the previously agreed-upon level. Soros saw that the UK government was not stronger than the market. The market "won", so Soros made a lot of money.

(Your short-hand "the central bankers are the market" doesn't seem to match history.)

Now translate that into your suggestion that the dollar needs to be weaker. I ask again: How can that happen when people are running to dollars as a safe haven? Do you agree with Box's suggestion that the Treasury sell dollars for a basket of other currencies? If so: What happens when that doesn't lower the dollar significantly?

More words, please. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Would he have made that money without central banks?
no.

They are the market. (not central bankers, central banks)

He played in their market.

Had the UK agreed to stay in the EU system, he would have lost everything.

He placed a bet and he won.

Certainly flooding the market with dollars could weaken the currency. Reducing the effective yield of treasuries to zero would make other investments more palatable and also take pressure off of the dollar.

The "what happens if" just means we are in this rut that much longer.

New You're not getting it.
You're telling me about abstract econ things from textbooks while ignoring what has happened over the past 2 years.

The Treasury has flooded the system with trillions of dollars to try to fill the vast pit in the economy. In spite of that, contrary to what many on the right have said, the value of the dollar has increased.

Interest rates are already effectively at zero and can't go lower.

When we're up against the zero bound, things are different and too many (apparently including yourself) don't want to recognize it.

We're talking past each other. I'll quit.

[edit:] Some thoughts by Karl Smith on something to try - a payroll tax holiday: http://modeledbehavi...ope-calculations/ I think it might be worth a short, but as a commenter points out, it does nothing for the presently unemployed. As part of a package that includes: 1) Extended UI benefits (including those 99ers who have hit that limit), 2) a tax surcharge on, say, those with AGI > $500k-$1M, 3) a phased-in resumption of payroll taxes as unemployment falls in steps, I think it makes sense. And I think it's more likely to get things moving than trying to force the dollar lower by the Fed and Treasury playing the currency markets.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Sept. 8, 2010, 03:47:00 AM EDT
New how very conservative of you :-)
herman Cain and others on the right have demanded that for a long time. Treasury is not the fed. What money they have printed went straight to American banks and sits there. That has nothing to do with central banking and foreign currency.
New This has nothing to do with the "Fair Tax".
It's hard to know what you're agreeing with there, but I assume it's about the payroll tax holiday.

Cain seems to be a fan of the "Fair Tax" (sic). Different animal.

There are lots of reasons to be skeptical of a payroll tax holiday, and all proposals aren't equal. I doubt that Cain would be a fan of Reich's proposal from August 2009 - http://robertreich.o...propose-a-peoples

[...]

Republicans understand the art of tax demagoguery: Put the other side on the defensive by forcing them to explain why a “tax increase” is warranted and they lose regardless.

So instead of playing defense, Democrats should go on the attack.

Accuse Republicans of being shills for the rich.

And don’t stop there. Do tax jujitsu. In addition to ending the Bush tax cut for the rich, put forward another proposal for growing the economy that cuts taxes on lower-income Americans.

Democrats should propose eliminating payroll taxes on the first $20,000 of income, and making up the revenue loss by applying payroll taxes to incomes above $250,000.

This would give the economy an immediate boost by adding to the paychecks of just about every working American. 80 percent of Americans pay more in payroll taxes than they do in income taxes. And because lower-income people would get most of the benefit, it’s likely to be spent.

It would also give employers an extra incentive to hire because they’d save on their share of the payroll tax. And most of the incentive would be directed toward hiring lower-income workers – who have taken the biggest hit on jobs and pay during the recession.

It wouldn’t add to the deficit. Lost revenues would be made up by applying payroll taxes to income exceeding $250,000. This is certainly fair. As it is now, the Social Security payroll tax doesn’t apply to any income over $106,000. Having the tax kick in again at $250,000 would draw on the top 3 percent of earners, who (as noted) now rake in a larger portion of total income than they have in more than 80 years.

Call it the People’s Tax Cut, and let Republicans explain why they’re against it.

Yeah, the Treasury and the Fed aren't the same. They work together though. E.g. from October 2008 - http://www.econbrows...ance_sheet_o.html

But how did the Fed acquire all that stuff, with "only" a $160 B increase in reserve balances and a $30 B increase in currency outstanding? The answer is to be found in a new entry on the liability side described as "Treasury supplementary financing account." This was announced by the U.S. Treasury through the following somewhat obscure release:

The Federal Reserve has announced a series of lending and liquidity initiatives during the past several quarters intended to address heightened liquidity pressures in the financial market, including enhancing its liquidity facilities this week. To manage the balance sheet impact of these efforts, the Federal Reserve has taken a number of actions, including redeeming and selling securities from the System Open Market Account portfolio.

The Treasury Department announced today the initiation of a temporary Supplementary Financing Program at the request of the Federal Reserve. The program will consist of a series of Treasury bills, apart from Treasury's current borrowing program, which will provide cash for use in the Federal Reserve initiatives.

Announcements of and participation in auctions conducted under the Supplementary Financing Program will be governed by existing Treasury auction rules. Treasury will provide as much advance notification as possible regarding the timing, size, and maturity of any bills auctioned for Supplementary Financing Program purposes.

Here's what I take that to mean. I gather that the Treasury auctioned off some extra T-bills to the public, in addition to their usual weekly auction, and simply kept the receipts as deposits in an account with the Fed. If that were the end of the story and the Fed kept its total liabilities constant, it would result in a huge (completely infeasible technically) drain on reserve balances and currency in circulation, as banks sought to deliver reserves to the Treasury's account to honor their customers' purchases of the T-bills. So the Fed offset the supplemental Treasury auction with a matching purchase of private assets, such as the PDCF and AMLF, thereby temporarily delivering reserves to banks which the banks in turn could hand over to the Treasury supplementary account. The net result of such dual Treasury/Fed operations is that the newly created "reserves" would just sit there in the Treasury supplementary account doing nothing other than standing as an accounting entry. In other words, the device allowed for a huge expansion of the Fed's balance sheet without causing any change in currency in circulation or reserve deposits.

Getting closer to the original topic - If the US exchange rate were fixed, and the US decided it wanted to devalue the dollar by, say, 30%, it would be the Treasury's job - http://en.wikipedia....y_of_the_Treasury Since the exchange rate is not fixed, that means nudging the market (and in this case the headwinds are due to a hurricane of buying of dollars, so moving it the other way won't be trivial).

Cheers,
Scott.

New from October 12, 2009
http://www.wnd.com/i...php?pageId=112634
Suspend the payroll tax for one year. This gives an immediate 7.65 percent increase in take-home pay to all workers. It also lowers the payroll costs for all employers by 7.65 percent for one year. A total of about $900 billion would be injected directly into the economy immediately, rather than through the inefficiency of the federal government.
New Interesting. Thanks. (The rest of it is bogus, of course.;-)
New Oh, I am
they haven't tanked the long term rates yet..still over 3.

Also, "what he said" in the other response.

Additionally, they've done nothing on the other side of my equation..which is focus nearly 100% of the stimulus on asset or export producing endeavors. Seems you ignored the post of yesterday where Pres is asking for more money for infrastructure. Simply put, that should have been where the stimulus went.

State & Local need to learn that they cannot expand services and expenses beyond the bounds of per capita growth rate or inflation. (yes, it would have been an extremely painful lesson this go around but all we've done is set the expectation that there is no real risk, since the Fed will come in with cash and/or extend the pain because the come to papa moment is next year instead of this one).
New Hmmm.
Maybe it's the time difference...

they haven't tanked the long term rates yet..still over 3.

The trend has been down since the spring. http://research.stlo...ed2/data/GS30.txt The lowest rate was 2.87% in December 2008. I think it's a very safe bet that 30 year T-bill rates will continue to drop over the next year or longer. It obviously takes longer for long-term rates to fall.

Additionally, they've done nothing on the other side of my equation..which is focus nearly 100% of the stimulus on asset or export producing endeavors. Seems you ignored the post of yesterday where Pres is asking for more money for infrastructure. Simply put, that should have been where the stimulus went.

"Nothing"? - http://webcache.goog...&client=firefox-a

Due to the combined effects of inventory rebuilding, benefits from the ARRA and exports, manufacturing production increased 8.4 percent over the past year. Still, while the current recovery has been stronger than the initial year of growth following the 1990-1991 and 2001 recessions, it has lagged behind the recoveries that followed the 1981- 1982 and 1974-1975 recessions.

The ARRA was full of compromises, and had to be spent in 2 years. Obama's latest proposal is different, and has to be paid for. (I haven't ignored it.) http://iwt.mikevital....iwt?postid=35427 I agree it's long overdue, but your fellow travelers who yell about "TEH TAXES!!!!111" would have tried to scuttle it, and may still try[*]. It's not going to be effective if the Republicans put up roadblocks so he can't get it passed.

State & Local need to learn that they cannot expand services and expenses beyond the bounds of per capita growth rate or inflation.

S&Ls are cutting bone, not fat. Police and Fire are being cut in several areas. The "easy" cuts (turning off lights, closing libraries, closing recreation facilities) have been done already. In my area, the county has around a $1000 (yes, one thousand dollar) budget for road repairs on secondary roads - http://scottsurovell...nding-paving.html .

FWIW. ;-)

[edit:] [*] Speaking of which - http://www.washingto...010_09/025571.php

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Sept. 8, 2010, 10:59:53 AM EDT
     Felix: Fix the economy by increasing immigration. - (Another Scott) - (76)
         how else are you going to fix social security - (boxley)
         Think they may have causation a bit wrong - (beepster) - (74)
             The biggest problem now is the housing bubble. - (Another Scott) - (73)
                 increased demand for housing? - (boxley) - (7)
                     You know what I mean... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                         take the inventory of fannie and freddie - (boxley) - (5)
                             Depends on how it's done. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 Re: Depends on how it's done. - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                     Interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     "As we've gone through the lessons that we've learned ..." - (drook)
                                 thats why lottery, no money involved - (boxley)
                 I'm finding this very funny... - (beepster) - (64)
                     And just in case that is too rosy a forecast - (beepster) - (55)
                         Why would a business invest if there's no demand? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             true statement - (boxley)
                             You're getting there - (beepster) - (2)
                                 Eh? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Krugman is wrong :-) - (beepster)
                         Companies are not "industry" - (drook) - (49)
                             Seriously? - (beepster) - (48)
                                 Where you stand ... where you sit ... - (drook) - (47)
                                     Not at all the same. They're only tangent linked - (beepster) - (46)
                                         I did - (drook) - (45)
                                             Different causation - (beepster) - (44)
                                                 You seem to be making a Supply Side argument. - (Another Scott) - (43)
                                                     Who is the customer? - (beepster) - (42)
                                                         What does that mean? - (drook) - (41)
                                                             dunno if you noticed, it aint the poor getting the checks - (boxley)
                                                             sigh - (beepster) - (39)
                                                                 Why should I care about intra-industrial demand? - (drook) - (38)
                                                                     Oh, and by the way ... - (drook) - (8)
                                                                         Software? - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                             Of course, focus on the *least important* part of that quote -NT - (drook) - (6)
                                                                                 What, - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                     "Recovery means jobs" - (drook) - (4)
                                                                                         Re: "Recovery means jobs" - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                             That was Bill's line - (drook) - (2)
                                                                                                 bill is right - (boxley)
                                                                                                 With a line like that... - (beepster)
                                                                     You want jobs, correct? - (beepster) - (28)
                                                                         That's not a point, that's an article - (drook) - (27)
                                                                             Get this through your head. - (beepster) - (26)
                                                                                 Quit with the shorthand - (drook) - (25)
                                                                                     Re: Quit with the shorthand - (beepster) - (24)
                                                                                         So you completely disagree with the "two economies" premise? - (drook) - (6)
                                                                                             Absolutely - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                                 You're half right - (drook) - (4)
                                                                                                     No, its not. - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                                                         You're kidding, right? - (drook) - (2)
                                                                                                             welfare food stamps unemployment compensation - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Eh? - (Another Scott)
                                                                                         Big D. - (Another Scott) - (16)
                                                                                             To be honest - (beepster)
                                                                                             cheese - (boxley) - (14)
                                                                                                 Talk to Sorros about that. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                                                                                     Central Banks >are< the market. -NT - (beepster) - (12)
                                                                                                         <Boggle> I guess that's how George never made his $1B... - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                                                             piggybacking a market isnt brilliant - (boxley)
                                                                                                             He made it playing the market.. - (beepster) - (9)
                                                                                                                 And...? - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                                                                                                     Would he have made that money without central banks? - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                                                                         You're not getting it. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                                                                             how very conservative of you :-) - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                                                                 This has nothing to do with the "Fair Tax". - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                                                                     from October 12, 2009 - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Interesting. Thanks. (The rest of it is bogus, of course.;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                             Oh, I am - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 Hmmm. - (Another Scott)
                     It's the same most places in First World countries. - (static) - (7)
                         This "free trade" mantra is a relatively new development. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                             The kos artlcle - (beepster) - (3)
                                 I guess you missed the rending of garments about the tires.. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     tires - (boxley)
                                     No, I didn't - (beepster)
                             Not sure if you are advocating the article - (boxley) - (1)
                                 He's saying that argument is wrong. - (Another Scott)

I invited her up to my place for a little midnight bait. I said, "Come on, baby. It'll only take a few minnows." She threw me that same old line: "Not tonight, I've got a haddock."
157 ms