IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not evil: amoral
A corporation has no morals, and no legal requirement to have any. Without regulations to restrain them corporations have every incentive to maximize gain at the expense of the environment and employees.

Leaving aside the question of whether regulations have gone too far, or whether there are regulations with other purposes than protecting the public good, do you disagree with that?
--

Drew
New No
Statement is too short term. There are also objectives around sustaining viability as a going concern and others that do counter short term profit max objectives. They do consider environmental impact and most certainly govern employees and the relationships.

Simple example. >Long term<, it benefits employers to keep and maintain a workforce with experience in >their< process and train them well. This is why you have corporate programs that cover college expenses for employees, and employees receive on the job training, etc. Is their a financial component to this, absolutely. Is it focussed on next months P&L, absolutely not. Would it be more profitable, short term, to eliminate these entirely, absolutely.

Full product costing from an eco-standpoint is a separate issue.

And leaving aside the question whether or not regulations have gone too far do take this off point quite substantially. Do I think we need a certain amount of regulation to ensure that companies operate responsibly towards workers and the environment, yes I do. I would also submit that most companies that have built offshore manufacturing have done so at standards that far exceed what local laws require, which would also be counter to your statement.

Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
     on jobs, government and business - (boxley) - (18)
         Nice assumptions - (drook) - (17)
             im sure thats exactly what he meant drook - (boxley) - (6)
                 Then what is it? The specific concern? - (drook) - (5)
                     Nit on warning labels - (mhuber)
                     so before any drilling is done - (boxley)
                     Government enabled. - (beepster) - (2)
                         Not quite right. - (Another Scott)
                         Shows what I get for using an analogy - (drook)
             HOT DAMN... - (folkert)
             Wrong assumptions... - (beepster) - (8)
                 Not evil: amoral - (drook) - (1)
                     No - (beepster)
                 Sweeping generalization much? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     nice link - (beepster) - (4)
                         That's not what it says... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Its not an either or - (beepster) - (2)
                                 Um, that's been tried. Caused "Great Recession". -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     really? - (beepster)

55 orders of magnitude bigger than it should be.
242 ms