IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As you might expect, it was a false alarm.
I used SpyBot Search & Destroy to look at the things that were being started automatically. Nothing seemed amiss, but I disabled a bunch of stuff anyway. (It's a very handy little program and well worth a few bucks donation.)

I rebooted, and started Firefox with the 72 tabs I previously had open. After everything loaded and I saw no more action on the progress indicators on the tabs, I saw the 200 kB/s activity start up again.

So, I started closing tabs.

What do you know. The BP underwater cameras tab has movies that aren't being blocked by FlashBlock anymore. And what do you know, lots of things are happening with no indication on the tab that anything's happening.

http://www.bp.com/se...contentId=7063636

Yup. Closing that makes my network activity drop.

Sorry for the false alarm. Thanks for the help.

<goes away muttering to himself...>

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yeah.. that rotating thingi appears oblivious to some common
actions, like ^&#@% flash stuff and any # of AD-plague objects (as, here -- on my local Weather Underground tab, when one of their ads ran amok.) Not even OS X can counter the Ad-mindlessness. Well, not All of that.

(Only 72 tabs open? Piker!)

Have I mentioned lately how much I Like my bulletproof iMac??
OK: I Like my bulletproof iMac!
New 72 tabs? when you can see at most 10 at a whack?
New Something like that.
Ashton has/had his 20 GB bookmarks; I have my eleventy-seven tabs. Several us are a bit quirky about this web stuff.

:-)

In my case, I'll start on something and think about it for a while, but not finish it till much later. Having the tab stick around is a convenient reminder.

There's an add-on that I probably should use more, but haven't gotten used to it enough to make it routine. Naturally, it's called "TooManyTabs" - https://addons.mozil...refox/addon/9429/

Cheers,
Scott.
New I ended up having firefox get...
killed (all instances from every user I use (3)) because of XUL-Runner.

Bleah... all lower memory was allocated by aborted processes and couldn't be cleared.

So, only thing to do was a reboot.

And It wasn't a real reboot... it just loaded the new kernel and started from there.
Expand Edited by folkert July 26, 2010, 10:16:43 AM EDT
     Is it just me? Fast Company's "Influence" thingy. - (Another Scott) - (19)
         SBS&D didn't find anything. - (Another Scott) - (9)
             Try Wireshark? - (mvitale) - (7)
                 Ok, I've captured some traffic. Now what? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Re: Ok, I've captured some traffic. Now what? - (mvitale) - (5)
                         Excellent. I should have rememberd that. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             Re: Excellent. I should have rememberd that. Thanks. - (folkert) - (3)
                                 That shouldn't be it. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 Re: Excellent. I should have rememberd that. Thanks. - (mvitale) - (1)
                                     Dang, beat me to it -NT - (drook)
             check your plug-in directory - (beepster)
         you have a new plugin - (boxley)
         Hmm, wasn't aware of that - (drook)
         Probably coincidence. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Update. - (Another Scott)
         As you might expect, it was a false alarm. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Yeah.. that rotating thingi appears oblivious to some common - (Ashton)
             72 tabs? when you can see at most 10 at a whack? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 Something like that. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     I ended up having firefox get... - (folkert)

I could make a hat... or a brooch... or a pterodactyl!
139 ms