IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Second-hand is better IMO
The Lodge pre-seasoned is, to put it gently, junk. My old pans have a smooth, machined finish for the cooking surface, while the outer surfaces have the rough sand-cast finish. I don't care how well seasoned it is -- and Lodge's seems pretty perfunctory -- the cast surface is just not as smooth.

Enameled cast iron, on the other hand (you were probably looking at Le Creuset) isn't non-stick at all, and doesn't claim to be. But it's durable and cleans up well.

At second-hand stores, there's usually someone who knows what cast iron is worth. And it only takes one person to teach all the others and set the prices accordingly. Your best deals are likely to come from garage sales and estate sales, where someone who doesn't cook is unloading the dear-departed's stuff.
--

Drew
New Lodge cast iron.
I have a fair number of cast iron pieces, two of which are Lodge and several are older pans with a machined inner surface.

Of course I consider the Lodge 90G round griddle essential for a number of ethnic cuisines, particularly Indian, Thai and Mexican, but it is almost always used dry and rarely with just a wiped on coating of oil.

My most used skillet is the Lodge CS2 10 inch chef's pan (sloped sides rounded into the bottom rather than steep with a sharp corner). This seems to have been replaced with a CS3 10 inch chef's pan which looks identical.

I find that with some use the bottom becomes quite smooth due to the seasoning crust that develops. Of course my pans get smoother over time because when the seasoning seems to be getting a little thick I sandpaper them with a 200 grit abrasive cloth until I see a good scattering of bare metal.

I learned long ago that, particularly with the machined finish pans, if the crust gets a bit thick it starts flaking off into the food, which is not a good idea.
New Saw this on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com....ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I know I shouldn't have, but I was curious. This looks new. And the price looks to good to be true. :-/ What do you guys think?

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New It's a little small, I think.
7.5" flat bottom inside, if I'm converting correctly this early in the morning.

I've got at least 2 cast iron skillets around here, but haven't bought one recently. They're all at least 30 years old and have machined inside surfaces. The one that was used most was a #10 (10.5" outside diameter, about 8.5 inch flat bottom). It's good for cooking 3-4 chicken breasts, lots of fried eggs, etc. The one you found might be good for omelets and so forth as the sides seem to be sloped more. I have also located a #5 which would be good for small items (e.g. eggs for one).

Cast iron pans should be inexpensive. http://shop.ebay.com...=p3286.m270.l1313 Especially being so close to China, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a decent one for little money. :-) There's no advantage I can think of in buying new over a decently cared for used one - they all look the same after they've been used a few times.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New 26cm == 10"
2.54cm per inch
New Yeahbut...
It's the bottom that matters in most cases.

"PAN BASE (internal) : 19cm diameter" = 7.5"

It's not quite a (US) standard #10.

May be a fine pan, I dunno. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New used cast iron is best, do they have flea markets in Oz?
perhaps they might call the bazaars. Haunt those for cheap used cast iron
New They're a bit rare in my suburban belt.
I'm sure I could find something, though.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Hmm. Letting myself make mistakes... - (static) - (19)
         lamb cooks fine when its not hot - (boxley) - (2)
             And I grill the sliced shoulder - (crazy)
             Yah, I didn't do the 'lot longer' bit either. :-) -NT - (static)
         Not a bad idea -NT - (drook)
         On drippings v butter - (beepster) - (14)
             I've pan-fried in butter several times before. - (static) - (13)
                 Second-hand is better IMO - (drook) - (7)
                     Lodge cast iron. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Saw this on Ebay. - (static) - (5)
                         It's a little small, I think. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             26cm == 10" - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Yeahbut... - (Another Scott)
                         used cast iron is best, do they have flea markets in Oz? - (boxley) - (1)
                             They're a bit rare in my suburban belt. - (static)
                 350 bucks? - (jake123) - (2)
                     HAHA! Her loss! -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                         Well, she did get another one - (jake123)
                 Enameled iron is total crap for frying, at any price . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Thanks. That's good to know. -NT - (static)

Our Internal Subterfuge is up 80%! Good Job, way to go!
60 ms