1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Was wondering about the new yellow cherry tomatoes
Israel plows new ground in exotic crops
http://articles.lati...crops-20100529-45

I did a double take on this bit though:
Efraim Lewinsohn, who has helped lead the project to develop the lemon tomato at Israel's Volcani Agricultural Research Institute, said the goal was to inject a little spice into tomatoes that had become bland from years of mass production.

"People complain that tomatoes don't taste like they used to," Lewinsohn said. "That's the driving force behind this project: attempting to restore the flavor of the past."
I'm pretty sure lemon flavored tomatoes are not a flavor of the past.
New We have plenty of yellow cherry tomatoes around here.
Also orange. Most writers say the color doesn't matter, that they all taste the same. Those folks have deficient taste buds.

I did a comparison of yellow, orange and red all from the same organic farm. The yellow was a total dud - for decoration only. The orange was better, but still not up to the red.
New I hate cherry tomatoes
They should be called grape tomatoes, because they're way too sweet to be good at being tomatoes. AFAIC if you wouldn't use it to make sauce, it's not worth eating on its own.
--

Drew
New Here we do have grape tomatoes . . .
. . and strawberry tomatoes, and camparis, brown tomatoes, heritage tomatoes and many more. The cherry tomato, however, is much less seen today than it was. It was once heralded as the savior of flavor in tomatoes, but the growers quickly learned to make flavorless cherry tomatoes.

The grape and strawberry tomatoes are smaller and very good eating, not too sweet at all, but you wouldn't make sauce from them, too much skin to deal with.

In general, market tomatoes, even with a few days of countertop ripening, are not very good for sauce - you're usually better off with canned tomatoes. I did, however, make a very fine sauce a couple of months ago from a pile of large cluster tomatoes that were getting a little over-ripe on the counter.
New roma tomatoes (plum) make excellent sauce
from scratch, never do I used canned if fresh are available.
New Romas are good if properly ripened . . .
. . which is rare in many regions. Their primacy for sauces is based on the ratio of flesh to seed mass - they are very fleshy.

To quote one of the largest tomato barons (and political contributors) in Florida, as quoted in the Wall Street Journal some years ago, "Who cares what a tomato tastes like, they're always served with something else".

Incidentally, one effect of his political contributions was a law passed by the Florida legislature to require a particular type of packaging for tomatoes - a packaging that guaranteed actually ripe tomatoes from Mexico would be destroyed in transit.
New Don't suppose you've got a cite for that quote?
I can't find it in some quick Googling.
--

Drew
New I wish I did, but . . .
. . that was before I was involved with food except for supper, probably 8 years ago, maybe more.
New Which puts it before WSJ Online, too
--

Drew
New haven't seen orange
I tried a pack of the yellow and they're OK, but like you I prefer the red. I don't normally get cherry tomatoes either, I prefer the vine ripened ones that are around 1 1/2" diameter as they slice up well for salads.

I've recently tried cauliflower in a variety of colors(purple, green and orange) as well. They tasted ok, but had a funky smell.
New Purple isn't actually cauliflower . . .
. . it's broccoli that just looks like a cauliflower. Orange is a cross between regular cauliflower and a mutant found in a swamp in Canada. Plant geneticists are not yet sure what the green broccoflower is or where it came from - but it's certainly not a cross between broccoli and cauliflower - they're sexually incompatible.

Brocciflower (note the "i" instead of "o" is a frankenveg, a genetically engineered cross between broccoli and cauliflower - but it's very rarely seen today.
     Was wondering about the new yellow cherry tomatoes - (SpiceWare) - (10)
         We have plenty of yellow cherry tomatoes around here. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
             I hate cherry tomatoes - (drook) - (6)
                 Here we do have grape tomatoes . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                     roma tomatoes (plum) make excellent sauce - (boxley) - (4)
                         Romas are good if properly ripened . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             Don't suppose you've got a cite for that quote? - (drook) - (2)
                                 I wish I did, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     Which puts it before WSJ Online, too -NT - (drook)
             haven't seen orange - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 Purple isn't actually cauliflower . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

This is a self-referential LRPDism.
120 ms