IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New sure soak the rich
as long as everyone pays a 10% VAT on everything but food. Then a income tax of those making over 250k a year can now pay 49% income taxes. I have no problem with this and would gladly support any plan to get some revenue in the door.
So hands up in the air over this plan
<crickets> </crickets>
New Sounds a *lot* like Aus.
Except our highest is 45% and kicks in a lot lower - 180k and up. (A few years ago it was 47%).

Yes, we have a GST/VAT of 10% on nearly everything except food.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Re: sure soak the rich
I would actually go with a flat VAT across the board, with a rebate for the poorest 20% or so. The problem with exempting food is that telling food from non-food is easy at the consumer end, but telling which chemicals are going into food and which are not at the back end is a mess.

For the income tax, some sort of simple tiers, say 15% kicking in at 100K and 40% kicking in at 300K would be better. I have no idea where the number would really have to be to balance it out, but I don't like the idea of a system where there is no tax up to some limit and then a one step jump to a very high tax.

As for getting there, it ain't happening right now. A lot of economists have been talking about a national VAT to raise money, but nobody in Washington is taking it seriously. This will change if/when the country actually runs into the practical borrowing limits or the inflationary spiral begins to kick in.

Jay
New Actually
on the chemicals and packaging side, it must be "food grade" certified, so its easier to levy that VAT than you might think.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
     We all know Americans are against higher taxes on the rich. - (Another Scott) - (6)
         Interesting group - (drook) - (1)
             Yup. And Robert Waldman's feelings are hurt. - (Another Scott)
         sure soak the rich - (boxley) - (3)
             Sounds a *lot* like Aus. - (static)
             Re: sure soak the rich - (jay) - (1)
                 Actually - (beepster)

I have a horse!
131 ms