IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Different class of error
You know how carrots are good for your eyes?

Except you know how that's wartime propaganda? http://www.snopes.co...dient/carrots.asp

That's the lead example in a book about how real food is good for us, while recommendations from the government are more about corporate interests than our health.

Oops.
--

Drew
New Wait a minute.
From your Snopes link:

While carrots are a good source of vitamin A (which is important for healthy eyesight, skin, growth, and resisting infection), eating them won't improve vision.

Vitamin A is important, and carrots are a good source. No, they won't give you 20-15 vision, but Vitamin A deficiency will do a number on your eyes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_A .

Vitamin A is a vitamin that is needed by the retina of the eye in the form of a specific metabolite, the light-absorbing molecule retinal. This molecule is absolutely necessary for both scotopic and color vision. Vitamin A also functions in a very different role, as an irreversibly oxidized form retinoic acid, which is an important hormone-like growth factor for epithelial and other cells.

Enough is needed. Extra won't help and may hurt (I had orange skin when I was eating a pound of carrots a day for several weeks (long ago)).

Depending on what she wrote, (and bringing corporate interests into it could be problematic) I don't see a big problem with fixing this. It's a matter of being careful.

My $0.02. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Here's my point though
http://kidshealth.or...itamin_chart.html
Good sources of vitamin A are milk, eggs, liver, fortified cereals, darkly colored orange or green vegetables (such as carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and kale), and orange fruits such as cantaloupe, apricots, peaches, papayas, and mangos.

We "all know" carrots are good for vision. But no more so than lots of other foods are, many of which are more appetizing.

So why do we all know about carrots? Because of a government propaganda effort.

No, they didn't make up something out of whole cloth. The best propaganda is always close enough to the truth that people of good faith can at least take it seriously.

In this case, the point she was making was that scientists tried to isolate the nutrient in carrots that was good for vision, and they focused on beta carotene. And of course they were wrong, ha ha! It was the whole food that was effective.

Except that's not it either. Even the whole food isn't exceptionally good for vision. At best it can alleviate a deficiency that might cause problems. No study has suggested that vitamin A, or beta carotene, or whole carrots, actually improves vision for people who don't have any problems.

So if someone does have vitamin A deficiency, eating carrots can help. That fact doesn't make carrots the poster child for eating whole foods instead of the supplements the government would have you take instead.

The switch from butter to margarine ... cholesterol causes heart disease ... red meat will make you fat ... eat less meat and more grains ... Any one of these would be a better example.
--

Drew
New also eating too many carrots is no good for you
vitey A is fat soluble
     This sucks - (drook) - (11)
         ****, yes! - (warmachine) - (3)
             Watch that broad brush. - (malraux) - (2)
                 Secular homschoolee here - (mhuber) - (1)
                     did that once, majorly sux - (boxley)
         Books usually have errors. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Already have, waiting to hear back -NT - (drook)
             I find errors on my CloveGarden pages all the time . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 Different class of error - (drook) - (3)
                     Wait a minute. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Here's my point though - (drook) - (1)
                             also eating too many carrots is no good for you - (boxley)

A hearty “Shalom amigos!” comes to mind.
68 ms