IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh, I almost forgot: What makes you think they'd *accept*...
Peter blithely blithers:
We produce very large traffic management systems. I don't see MS on that turf, ever. If for no other reason than legal liability. MS have never produced a piece of software that exposes them to more than $5 or the cost of the product, whichever is the lower.
...they'd *accept* any legal liability? They'll just put their standard EULA-disclaimer on it, and sell it anyway!

You think they *won't*, once they own EVERYTHING else?!?

Who buys your stuff -- city councils, entities like that, right? And what are they made up of? Civil servants, trustees, ex-engineers -- in short, PHBs, that's who! That, and -- even worse! -- politicians. You think they *won't* be just the folks to fall for the shiny happy chrome-laden GUI message from Redmond?!? That'd be a first...

Doesn't Microsoft already own the OS you run the management console (or whatever you call it) on? ("Windows ain't done 'til [insert application here] don't run!" ring any bells?) And, once they've beat out the last OS competition on the server side, so they own the OS you run your main application on ("Windows ain't done 'til...") -- you'll *still* think "They'll never..."? Sheesh, man; can you spell 'naive'?

Well, good luck to you anyway... You're gonna need it.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Microsoft's technique here is well tested.
A market they don't know and have no competence in? They just buy a significant player and leverage integration with their other products to drive the rest out of business.

That's precisely what they're doing with Great Plains, with aditional leverage from .NET. Great Plains not only is being integrated with Microsoft Office, it has the inside track on .NET with Microsoft developers working on integration. They'll be at least 6 months to a year ahead of everyone else on .NET technology.

"I don't need no .NET"? Microsoft is, like, going to give you a choice? You use the Windows environment, .NET won't be an option. You may be dragged kicking and screaming, but the vast majority will go without a whimper.

They laughed when Microsoft announced it's entering the CRM (Customer Relationship Management) market a couple weeks ago? This week MS announced that Microsoft CRM will be tightly integrated with Exchange Server, Outlook and .NET. Soon it won't even be an option - "installed by default". Methinks the laughter is getting a little thin right now.

Liability? Your [company | town ] is going to test the EULA against the most powerful [litigation | intimidation | buy-off] machine in the world? The one that defeated the U.S. Department of Justice?
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Goodbye, VNC. - (imric) - (16)
         Brian says it best. - (jb4) - (4)
             I care. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                 Well of COURSE... - (jb4) - (2)
                     I think XP is pretty much dead where I work. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                         Port to Delphi (Easy!), then to Kylix (Very easy!). -NT - (CRConrad)
         It has already been, for some time . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
             You'll have to evidence that claim - (pwhysall) - (9)
                 Not in all licenses yet . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                     When I say bespoke... - (pwhysall) - (7)
                         Ridiculous? Sure - but when has that ever stopped them?!? -NT - (CRConrad)
                         Yabut.. prolly more of your laws have to make sense - (Ashton)
                         Oh, I almost forgot: What makes you think they'd *accept*... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Microsoft's technique here is well tested. - (Andrew Grygus)
                         What they all said - (ben_tilly)
                         What about Traf-O-Data? :) -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                             Oh behave, you. :-) -NT - (pwhysall)

Escape from the prison planet!
40 ms