IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This was a deal on Woot
I think it was like $200 for a 23-inch HDTV/monitor with integrated DVD. Haven't seen anything else close to that price.
--

Drew
New wonder if that's why it was on Woot!
Seems to be a major QC screwup to have the integrated DVD player set to 4:3. Bet they got lots of returns.
New Wouldn't surprise me
I'd have to go double-check the manual, but I'm pretty sure it didn't mention the DVD settings at all. I just saw the button on the remote and thought, "Huh, I wonder what this does."

Speaking of the manual, it was typical of the kind I hate. Click the "Format" button and it cycles among, "Standard, 16:9, 4:3, Cinema". In the directions it says, "Press the "Format" button to select Standard, 16:9, 4:3 or Cinema format." Well no shit, really? I'm glad they wrote that down.
--

Drew
New :-)
New I forgot to mention.
I've seen idiotic default settings numerous times before.

I have a portable DVD player. Typical flimsy plastic, top-loading thing. It seems to be imported through a small dealer on ebay who made a very cursory request for it to support region 4 DVDs by default. Unfortunately, it has a rather ironic bug: the LCD and it's controller chip were unashamedly designed for NTSC. PAL is so much of an afterthought that the scaler in the LCD controller is barely capable it. The support person for the importer did not understand my problem.

But there is a simple, albeit non-obvious solution. The DVD player's rendering chip can transcode from PAL to NTSC! And it does a *much* better job than the LCD's scaler at handling PAL... Urk.

Next time I want a portable DVD player, I'm going to try one out in a shop and pay twice the going rate on ebay. :-(

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New next time you want a portable dvd player buy a macbook
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New Two problems with that.
1. It's a lot larger than the conveninent 7" or 9" displays of the portable players.

2. It's a *lot* more expensive than a dedicated portable player from a mainstream electronics store. And I don't need another computer.

Oh, and it's an Apple. The fanboism by the employees in the Mac stores is a distinct putoff. Other than that, it's basically not a bad idea. Maybe for my next Linux laptop I'll get one with an optical drive.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     How do widescreen TVs deal with widescreen DVDs? - (drook) - (26)
         It may be something you have to live with. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             None of those cases fit - (drook) - (7)
                 Linky? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Happens with every widescreen I've tried - (drook) - (5)
                         Video of what it looks like - (drook) - (4)
                             I think it's working as designed. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 "Enhanced for widescreen" is worse - (drook) - (1)
                                     I guess you're stuck. Sorry. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             The 16 x 9 looked about right. -NT - (beepster)
         Crap DVD player - (crazy)
         What you should see - (beepster)
         It looks like you've been got twice. - (static) - (11)
             That's what I suspect too - (SpiceWare) - (10)
                 It's a Coby something or other. No sign of an online manual. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Score! - (drook) - (8)
                     Saw with it Video TVs years ago. - (static) - (7)
                         This was a deal on Woot - (drook) - (6)
                             wonder if that's why it was on Woot! - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                 Wouldn't surprise me - (drook) - (1)
                                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             I forgot to mention. - (static) - (2)
                                 next time you want a portable dvd player buy a macbook -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Two problems with that. - (static)
         Synchronicity - (drook) - (2)
             Things I've learnt about HD TV. - (static) - (1)
                 turned out the other way here - (SpiceWare)

Running on an Atari 800 with two extra 16KB memory banks.
159 ms