IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Video of what it looks like
http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=J1yKKTKYe3E

The 16:9 setting might be showing the correct format, but the top and bottom bars are the same as on 4:3, so I don't think so.
--

Drew
New I think it's working as designed.
http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=glossary

Letterboxing

The scaling of a widescreen image to fit a standard 4:3 aspect ratio TV screen by shrinking the image so that the width fits exactly. The horizontal black bars that appear above and below the image are actually recorded with the picture, so some of the picture's vertical resolution is lost when you view it. Letterboxing is much more common on DVD movies than VHS videos.

It looks like you want an "anamorphic" version of the movie:

Anamorphic

A type of widescreen display format commonly found on DVD movies. It is optimized for playback on a TV with 16:9 aspect ratio (or TVs with a "vertical squeeze" viewing mode like Sony's 16:9 Enhanced). On a standard TV, anamorphic material look horizontally squeezed. Anamorphic DVDs are often labeled on their cases "enhanced for 16x9 televisions," "enhanced for widescreen televisions," "16x9 anamorphic," or "anamorphic widescreen." An anamorphic widescreen DVD has significantly higher resolution than a letterboxed widescreen DVD. For example, for a film shot in the commonly-used 1.85:1 aspect ratio, a letterboxed DVD presentation uses only 345 vertical scan lines (the remaining scan lines are taken up by the horizontal black bars above and below the image). That same film in anamorphic widescreen will use anywhere from 460 to the full 480 scan lines.

HTH. Corrections welcome.

Cheers,
Scott.
New "Enhanced for widescreen" is worse
That one just said it preserved the 1.85 ratio. So I tried one that said "Enhanced for widescreen TVs". That one had a black border from the TV all around the image, plus black bars top and bottom from the DVD.

I could stretch to 16:9 format, which just eliminated the TV-added border on the sides, or "Cinema" which zoomed (preserving aspect ratio) so that the top and bottom TV-added border was gone, which cut off lots of the sides, and still kept the black borders top and bottom from the DVD. No zoom mode eliminated the DVD letterboxing.

I know this is a cheap DVD player, but this is just ridiculous.
--

Drew
New I guess you're stuck. Sorry.
New The 16 x 9 looked about right.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
     How do widescreen TVs deal with widescreen DVDs? - (drook) - (26)
         It may be something you have to live with. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             None of those cases fit - (drook) - (7)
                 Linky? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Happens with every widescreen I've tried - (drook) - (5)
                         Video of what it looks like - (drook) - (4)
                             I think it's working as designed. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 "Enhanced for widescreen" is worse - (drook) - (1)
                                     I guess you're stuck. Sorry. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             The 16 x 9 looked about right. -NT - (beepster)
         Crap DVD player - (crazy)
         What you should see - (beepster)
         It looks like you've been got twice. - (static) - (11)
             That's what I suspect too - (SpiceWare) - (10)
                 It's a Coby something or other. No sign of an online manual. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Score! - (drook) - (8)
                     Saw with it Video TVs years ago. - (static) - (7)
                         This was a deal on Woot - (drook) - (6)
                             wonder if that's why it was on Woot! - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                 Wouldn't surprise me - (drook) - (1)
                                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             I forgot to mention. - (static) - (2)
                                 next time you want a portable dvd player buy a macbook -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Two problems with that. - (static)
         Synchronicity - (drook) - (2)
             Things I've learnt about HD TV. - (static) - (1)
                 turned out the other way here - (SpiceWare)

Using Powerpoint in the schools--that's better than teaching kids how to smoke.
72 ms